The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-16-2023, 05:38 PM

Just started Virgin River on Netflix. It is one long 5 season Hallmark movie but well done (so super predictable). Beautiful scenery when it’s shown.

I’m not sure I’m in for the long haul but Mrs. Slot….
Old 11-16-2023, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
Just started Virgin River on Netflix. It is one long 5 season Hallmark movie but well done (so super predictable). Beautiful scenery when it’s shown.

Yeah, I started watching that. I don't know if you'll make it for the long haul either.

The scenery is incredible. It's also definitely NOT Humboldt County, CA, as it's purported to be in the series. Looks like B.C. to me. I grew up in Humboldt, there aren't mountains like that there...
Old 11-16-2023, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Watching a Belgian/Dutch production of a police drama, "Undercover". I was drawn to it because I like hearing them speak Flemish which reminds me of my Belgian family. I haven't been really recommending it because I think I'm biased that way, but my wife and our close friends both raved about it. So here ya go.

This series spawned two prequels, both named "Ferry", after the main criminal protagonist in the series, Ferry Bouman. One a movie from 2021 and the other a just-released series also on Netflix. Both worth watching after you get through the 3 seasons of Undercover.
Thanks for the heads up! We'll tune in because we really enjoyed the Undercover series! Now I have to go back and see if we saw all three seasons, or just the first two.
Old 11-17-2023, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Tonight I’ll be hunting up PBS’ Great Performances—it will focus on Shakespeare’s First Folio. This year marks the 400th year anniversary of the first publication of Shakespeare’s collected works.

If it weren’t for this book, there’s a lot of Shakespeare we’d know only through rumor. Macbeth, for example, had no other known appearances in print.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 11-17-2023, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Lupin on N'Flix
Annika on PBS

In Movie-Land:
The NEW version of West Side Story
Old 11-17-2023, 06:14 PM

Temple, a Brit series about a doctor (Mark Strong) who starts a clinic servicing the underworld in an attempt to save his wife. Warning: it is not a linear story.

https://www.amazon.com/Temple-Season-1/dp/B0B8S4BKRM
Old 11-17-2023, 06:19 PM

Annika, on PBS. Getting ready for the new seasons of Shetland and Fargo….
Old 11-17-2023, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Yeah, I started watching that. I don't know if you'll make it for the long haul either.

The scenery is incredible. It's also definitely NOT Humboldt County, CA, as it's purported to be in the series. Looks like B.C. to me. I grew up in Humboldt, there aren't mountains like that there...
Almost all of the Hallmark movies are shot up here in BC.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 11-17-2023, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post

We stuck with it through season 5. It did get very Hallmark-ish and predictable.

But the woman who plays Mel has one of those faces that the camera loves, and Jack has his moments.

And for a fan of "Animal House," it was good to see Tim Matheson at work. He's actually a decent actor.
2022 Taylor 712ce
Old 11-27-2023, 01:49 AM

Old 11-27-2023, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

A while ago I was surfing on the TV looking for something to watch while I had dinner for about 10-15 minutes and clicked on All Creatures Great and Small (2020) to check it out. I was hooked in 10 minutes. I'm not usually the warm and fuzzy type, but this show is very wholesome, warm, and sincere. Set in the Yorkshire countryside (which is stunning) in the 30's with three veterinarians (tending to mostly farm animals) and a housekeeper. This is the newer version- I've never seen the original from 1978. 3 seasons are out, and the 4th season starts in January.

https://www.justwatch.com/us/tv-show...and-small-2020
Old 11-28-2023, 07:13 PM

Old 11-28-2023, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromitspapa View Post
A while ago I was surfing on the TV looking for something to watch while I had dinner for about 10-15 minutes and clicked on All Creatures Great and Small (2020) to check it out. I was hooked in 10 minutes. I'm not usually the warm and fuzzy type, but this show is very wholesome, warm, and sincere. Set in the Yorkshire countryside (which is stunning) in the 30's with three veterinarians (tending to mostly farm animals) and a housekeeper. This is the newer version- I've never seen the original from 1978. 3 seasons are out, and the 4th season starts in January.

https://www.justwatch.com/us/tv-show...and-small-2020
Way, way back in the early 80’s my ex and I spent every Saturday at 7:00 PM watching Creatures. What a great show. Wanted to name our son Tristan but that didn’t pass muster.
Old 12-14-2023, 01:26 PM

Old 12-14-2023, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Well, not wanting to get too "high brow" on all you good folks, I am really looking forward to watching the new Season of "Reacher" on Prime... starts today!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic