The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-04-2018, 10:13 AM

Default Bose S1 & Bose L1 Compact

Does anyone want to compare Bose S1 and Bose L1 Compact?
Old 07-04-2018, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

I have both. I like both. I consider the S1 to be "about half of an L1" but the S1 puts out surprisingly good sound for something so small. Want to really enjoy 'em? Run your guitar and mic into the S1, then a direct line out from that to the L1C.

I especially appreciate the reverb, the combo inputs and tone match on both channels on the S1. AND the battery power.

What the L1C has over it: in a not much bigger footprint (certainly smaller than an S1 on a stand), the L1C gives you the array portion up high and the bass unit at the floor. The bass unit speaker is larger (8" vs 6") and there are 6 2" speakers as opposed to the 3 in the S1.

I have been using the L1C for about 8 years, and it is a champ. You need to have power for it, and if like me, you want reverb, you need to add a pedal, the T1 from Bose, or something additional.

I have had the S1 for a month or so, and it continues to impress.

If the question is "Which one for you?", I would say it comes down to expected venue size (neither is going to be enough for a gig with a couple hundred people), power availability, and how "small" you want to travel. Both have a line out if you need to run this small rig to a board or larger PA.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:35 PM

The L1 Compact has been around for a long time (about 10 years ?) and while it's been one of the most successful PA systems ever, is it possible that an update or new model may come out soon ?
Old 07-04-2018, 10:35 PM

Thanks Captain J.

I forgot to mention that I'd like to compare these 2 without T1 for L1C (I have both T1 and L1C, but thinking about add S1)

I've tried to use Fishman Loudbox Mini as more treble for L1C. To my ears L1C has more Low than High and without T1 (or other mixer) it's very hard to get the sound that I wanted.

Speaking about bigger audience gigs, I also have tried to use L1C and Fishman SoloAmp chained together and I got a better sound out of them but I don't want to lug so many stuffs (my main concern now is to have as less as possible).
Old 07-04-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverspur View Post
The L1 Compact has been around for a long time (about 10 years ?) and while it's been one of the most successful PA systems ever, is it possible that an update or new model may come out soon ?
I think they already did that.

There are quite a few version of them out there (and quite high prices I'd say). So I don't think they need to update that L1C anymore.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by napman View Post
Thanks Captain J.

I forgot to mention that I'd like to compare these 2 without T1 for L1C (I have both T1 and L1C, but thinking about add S1)

I've tried to use Fishman Loudbox Mini as more treble for L1C. To my ears L1C has more Low than High and without T1 (or other mixer) it's very hard to get the sound that I wanted.

Speaking about bigger audience gigs, I also have tried to use L1C and Fishman SoloAmp chained together and I got a better sound out of them but I don't want to lug so many stuffs (my main concern now is to have as less as possible).
For the past 5 or 6 years, I have used the L1C and Fishman LBM together (no T1). The LBM fills in the mids and gives more EQ than is available with the L1C alone. My LBM crapped out, and I sent the powerhead to Fishman for repair. In the meantime, I bought the S1 and found I prefer the sound of that with the L1C over the Fishman LBM. I had no issue with the S1 having fewer EQ controls on the S1 vs the LBM.

I agree that the L1C alone needs more EQ options. Prior to using the LBM with it, I was using a TC Helicon Gxt, running both guitar and mic into just the guitar channel on the L1C.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
, I was using a TC Helicon Gxt, running both guitar and mic into just the guitar channel on the L1C.
I happened to tried that option, too. I also used TCH Gxt with Fishman SoloAmp and whatever I also have. Sometimes these experimental just made me more confuse (about sound quality). I feel that it's kind of wasted resource just to running both guitar and mic into just the guitar channel at L1C (but I agree that we don't have any other choice).

I guess I just have to Fooling around with these "Borrow Jack to Pay Jill" stuffs, ha, ha, ah and see how it'll come out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification