The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-04-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Not sure I get that, 3notes. Stanron is describing a common opinion. Lots of jazz stuff, including Freddie Green's entire philosophy, omits the 5th string.

Why do you think that's not a viable option? I do it a lot.
Okay. I was simply unaware that that note isn't desired by many. Actually, going on memory, when I watch music on YouTube, I see it often. So yes, I understand now.

Someone said here that the OP shouldn't fuss over a muted string. That's me when I'm playing barre chords. I can't always play clean barre chords but I don't fuss over it. I can still "hear" the tune.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I stand corrected.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

No problem, 3notes. I thought maybe I missed something in your opinion. I kinda like the sound without the 5th string, especially playing jazz chords. Adding the 5th gets too muddy sometimes.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
No problem, 3notes. I thought maybe I missed something in your opinion. I kinda like the sound without the 5th string, especially playing jazz chords. Adding the 5th gets too muddy sometimes.
I just messed around with the G chord to hear the result. On that 5th string... Do you mute it.?? Because it didn't sound proper to me. I did like the tone, it's very dark sounding.

So, once again, do you play that 5th string open or do you mute it.?? I'm guessing that you mute it.

Edit; I see where you said you don't play it. Yup. I get it now.

Kerbie; We're nurturing a relationship. lol. It's not a bad thang. Cheers buddy.

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-04-2018 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:29 PM

@ Steve,

I didn't say it wasn't possible to play cleanly with the guitar angled away. Many have and still do. My Dad plays this way, especially larger bodied guitars. These player know they have get their hand around enough to fret cleanly though.

For most, especially beginners, the exaggerated rotation of the guitar body is a result of wanting to see what they are doing. And while it allows the desired visibility, it creates a greater reach, often making the fretting technique more difficult.

BTW, I whole-heartily agree with your last sentence with regard to being comfortable & adapting. This is an equally important component that allows for individuality.

The mechanics of fretting a string and not muting another can often be made easier, if better understood, and with a little adjustment.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

3notes... For me, the answer depends on whether I'm playing fingerstyle or strumming. Freddie usually had a flatpick and he muted the fifth string, usually with the 2nd finger on the 6th. If you're playing fingerstyle, just omit it... still yields a very clean sound and makes the bass stand out a little.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:47 PM

Hey Lar. I have exactly the problem you are describing when “boom chuck” and hammering the A string. As soon as I release the A string, it buzzes against my ring finger. (3 finger G). Does the same thing when hammering the C chord.

My problem is the distal joint on my ring finger. It hardly has any bend in it at all. I’ve been working with it for a year to get more flexibility. Hasn’t worked so far.

I am on the transplant list, so as soon as a great fingerstylist kicks off, I’ll be playing like no one’s business!
Old 07-04-2018, 04:06 PM

Try this: Go to your favorite guitar shop, pick out a really nice ELECTRIC guitar (Les Paul, Strat, etc.). Plug in, or not - doesn't matter as long as you can hear it. Now do what you do. Same problem? You see, if the action on your acoustic is a bit too high, that "muffing" of the A string can happen. Good electrics generally have more arch and lower action on the fingerboard than most acoustics. If it consistently sounds clean, maybe consider trying an Ovation.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

I had that same problem with the open A in a G chord, so I just pick up both fingers; open A back down for G. Works fine for me.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:28 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for those who posted. I've been noodling around with better results now. Here's what helped:

1) Moving my finger up, towards the top of the fingerboard helped a little. Thanks for that suggestion.

2) Rotating the guitar body down helped a lot. I WAS rotating the body/neck up (back?) so I could see the fretboard easier. Interesting, I can play that string with my normal/poor setup and the string buzzes. Then if I keep plucking the string while slowly rotating the guitar body forward, the buzz goes away at some angle. Amazing how sensitive it is.

Now I just have to get used to not seeing the strings. With a neck angle that eliminates the buzz, I can only see the low pitch E-string. Is that normal? When you play do you see all the strings? If I move my head fwd I can see more strings obviously but I'm not sure that is good form.

I'm still working on putting upward pressure on that finger, rolling it up and thus more vertical. I think there is room for improvement there too, but like Pine said, that distal joint is not that flexible.

And Lowrider, the idea to just lift both fingers was an out-of-the box solution - so simple it made me laugh - I like it.

This forum is fantastic.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
Now I just have to get used to not seeing the strings. With a neck angle that eliminates the buzz, I can only see the low pitch E-string. Is that normal?
Pretty normal. Watch people performing. Especially people who sing and play.

If you are looking at your hands when you are singing and playing, you are not looking at your audience and if you are not looking at your audience, your communication is reduced.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write