The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-15-2018, 10:39 AM

Default NPD! Thanks to Charmed Life Picks and Mick's Goat Whiskey Picks

Mick and Scott, I hope someday we can actually get together and share some music and good whiskey...

That is a custom made, 1.5mm CLP Red nfr1.5 that was shipped to Mick of Goat Whiskey Thumbpick fame. Mick worked his magic and was able to drill through the high end pick with no cracks, splits or otherwise. He then expertly attached his standard thumb ring for a Medium sized thumbpick.

It arrived Friday. The extra warmth of this pick is a nice option for pieces / songs, where I don't want the brightness of attack that a standard Goat Whiskey Medium provides. I love The standard Goat Whiskey pick as well, but really wanted something even a little warmer in a thumbpick.

Somehow I talked both of these fine gentlemen into producing this hybrid for me.

I can't thank both Scott and Mick enough for working with me on this "dream pick". I am pretty sure that they do not want to make this generally available. I am very sure it would be cost prohibitive. If you add everything up, it would probably cost north of $60.

I am hopeful and confident that the material will stand up over time, even with the additional stress of having a hole drilled and the thumb ring rivet installed, stress on that point during play, etc.

What Scott and Mick produced here, is nothing short of spectacular!

Last edited by markrj; 07-15-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks, Mark, and thanks to the Mick for the awesome work he did on this project.

Mick, you rock.

memmer
Old 07-16-2018, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Now that is a pick worth having. Congrats, but how dare you tease me and then say it is not available? Ouch!

Seriously, I am happy that they were willing to risk it and that it was successful. And since I cannot get one of those picks, please at least include me in the music and the good whiskey, will ya?!

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-16-2018, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

That was an interesting project and I'm really impressed with the way it came out but NO I'm not interested in doing a bunch of these things!! Drilling into a casein pick was pretty dang nerve-wracking.

I'm glad you're impressed with it. I think it'll hold up pretty dang good. It was solid when I got done.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 07-21-2018, 01:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

We might entertain one-offs on something similar, but I think 1) It would be too expensive; 2) It is very risky for Mick and not really a good business decision.

If you can convince him (sending him some Tennessee moonshine will help, but only if better than the stuff brewing in his back yard), my ears are open.

memmer
Old 07-22-2018, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
We might entertain one-offs on something similar, but I think 1) It would be too expensive; 2) It is very risky for Mick and not really a good business decision.

If you can convince him (sending him some Tennessee moonshine will help, but only if better than the stuff brewing in his back yard), my ears are open.

memmer
Memmer, it'd take some dang good sippin' whiskey to steady my nerves enough to drill casein on a regular basis!! But yeah I'd be up for doing one occasionally if the situation was right.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion