The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-21-2018, 01:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I might long for youth but not ignorance.
Ditto. Give me youth AND wisdom, or no deal.

scott memmer
Old 07-26-2018, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

I posted this on a different Primetone pick thread but thought that folks over here might be interested, so cutting and pasting:

I have many different thicknesses and shapes of Dunlop Ultex picks. While I agree they are excellent picks, they don't appear to be the same material as the Dunlop Primetone triangle, and they don't sound the same to my ears.

There are, however, a couple of Dunlop Primetone picks that are made out the exact same material, and with raised surfaces for gripping, yet thinner. These are the Primetone “Animals As Leaders” picks. Though they are not large triangle shaped, they are similar in all other respects and have a gauge of .73mm. I love them.

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 07-26-2018, 11:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bho View Post
I posted this on a different Primetone pick thread but thought that folks over here might be interested, so cutting and pasting:

I have many different thicknesses and shapes of Dunlop Ultex picks. While I agree they are excellent picks, they don't appear to be the same material as the Dunlop Primetone triangle, and they don't sound the same to my ears.

There are, however, a couple of Dunlop Primetone picks that are made out the exact same material, and with raised surfaces for gripping, yet thinner. These are the Primetone “Animals As Leaders” picks. Though they are not large triangle shaped, they are similar in all other respects and have a gauge of .73mm. I love them.
bho, great stuff. My take is that Dunlop might possibly have gone to an Ultem manufacturer and did some testing and ultimately changed the Ultem formulation for some of their Primetone. I have no inside info, so this is just a hunch.

I WILL tell you something interesting, though. I discovered recently that the tonal qualities of a pick material are altered by doing nothing more but adding a coloring agent to change the cosmetics of the pick. True story. The same material, the same formulation, the same extrusion method -- add a different color and the pick sounds different. So, who knows, maybe it's just the dye they use.

scott memmer
Old 07-27-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
bho, great stuff. My take is that Dunlop might possibly have gone to an Ultem manufacturer and did some testing and ultimately changed the Ultem formulation for some of their Primetone. I have no inside info, so this is just a hunch.

I WILL tell you something interesting, though. I discovered recently that the tonal qualities of a pick material are altered by doing nothing more but adding a coloring agent to change the cosmetics of the pick. True story. The same material, the same formulation, the same extrusion method -- add a different color and the pick sounds different. So, who knows, maybe it's just the dye they use.

scott memmer
Reminds me of slot car racing days. The important rear tires used were a foam rubber stuff, but the word was the using black dye made the rubber less stiff or reduced their traction, so instead of black tires that looked like real car tires, the little doughnuts were usually a light color.

The mystery of the translucent raised grip vs opaque smooth face Primetone picks continues....

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-27-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Reminds me of slot car racing days. The important rear tires used were a foam rubber stuff, but the word was the using black dye made the rubber less stiff or reduced their traction, so instead of black tires that looked like real car tires, the little doughnuts were usually a light color.

The mystery of the translucent raised grip vs opaque smooth face Primetone picks continues....
Just a guess, but to mold ultem plastic, I wonder if it needed to be thinned to fill the mold properly. May be some additive to facilitate molding the fine details of the grip.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Just a guess, but to mold ultem plastic, I wonder if it needed to be thinned to fill the mold properly. May be some additive to facilitate molding the fine details of the grip.
HHP, I doubt it, but am not certain. Most injection-molded plastics come in either a resin or powder and go from there. But it IS puzzling why Dunlop appears to have two different versions of Ultem in the PT line.

sm
Old 07-27-2018, 08:07 PM

Because they can?
Old 09-26-2018, 01:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Callicutt View Post
Because they can?
Well, yeah, Lee. They've more money than your Higher Power, so more power to 'em.

sm
Old 09-26-2018, 02:29 PM

No PrimeTone large triangles in anything less than 1.4!!!
Next best PrimeTone for someone who prefers .96/1.1, in larger triangle?
Old 09-26-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChild62 View Post
No PrimeTone large triangles in anything less than 1.4!!!
Next best PrimeTone for someone who prefers .96/1.1, in larger triangle?
I've always craved the large triangles in 1mm and wondered why they won't make them...

I finally caved and bought the Primetone 1mm in the "standard shape". I think I might actually like them better than the large triangles, which is ironic since I played standard shape Fender mediums for 30 years!
Old 09-28-2018, 02:06 PM

I am so excited I can hardly contain myself. I went to look for more no-grip Primetones in standard shape and found these babies hanging by themselves.

(The shop I went to was out of non-grip in any shape)

Primetone Jazz III

Didn't even know these came in Jazz III's (unless this is new for 2018)

Old 09-28-2018, 02:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post

Hah. Funny, just saw this. Indeed.

You're taking me WAY back.

sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion