The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-06-2018, 04:56 PM

Default TRS & TS wiring problem - help!

Hi all, some help would be great!

I play with a Genz Benz Shen 150LT (2 channel, XLR & Jack per channel = 4 inputs) and I'm about 5 metres away from the amp and so I thought I'd make a 4 input multicore cable to go from me to the amp - so I can have one thicker cable running to the amp and use short cables to plug in by the mic stand.....

So I made a 2 x XLR and 2 x TRS box (with 3 strand, 4 core cable).

Obviously the 2 x XLR work fine using mics going into the Shen 150LT.

However, when using a TS (guitar lead) into the TRS I get no signal. I thought that I'd make the box with TRS so I could use it with other set ups if need be, thinking that a TS would automatically work in a TRS input.

The Shen 150LT manual states: INPUTS – The ShenandoahTM Acoustic 150LT is equipped with 2 types of input jacks. The 1⁄4” input is unbalanced and “line level” with a usable sensitivity from 100 mV to 1.6 volt. The input impedance is 270k ohms. The 1⁄4” input will also accept most active balanced line sources. Automatically unbalancing them by recognizing the tip portion of the balanced signal.

Thus I thought to myself "use TRS inputs and cable and TS will work fine and will mean you can use your multicore for other applications...."

However, when plugging in my guitar into the TRS input there's no sound.

So, what do I need to unsolder or solder together, in order to plug my guitar, using a TS cable into a TRS input, that goes to the150LT to make it work?

Or is it a case of chucking the 2 x TRS inputs andf buying 2 x TS inputs and wiring them up?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by JazzyJ; 07-07-2018 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:32 PM

Default Details

So to clarify

Yairi Acoustic > TS cable > TRS input (Ring=3 Blue / Tip=2 White / Ground=1 Silver) > TRS Jack > Genz Benz Input

= No Sound
Old 07-07-2018, 04:19 AM

Have you tried the regular instrument cable direct into the amp to eliminate that as the problem?
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 07-07-2018, 06:31 AM

try the post above mine just to eliminate .
so if your guitar is wired tip sleeve and amp
is wired tip ring you will not get a signal.
plug a jack into the amp and use a multimeter
to chk continuity and figure it back from there.
plug a jack into your guitar and chk continuity.
hopefully you have already chk continuity in the cable
you made. doesn't take but one loose strand to short out the works.,
Old 07-07-2018, 08:25 AM

As well as trying an instrument cable direct, what does the Yairi have for pickups and are they passive or active? If you have another guitar that does have active PU's or a preamp give it a try.
I'm not sure why an amp which appears intended for acoustic instruments would have what is specced as "Line" level inputs and with a 270 kOhm input impedance, particularly if the instrument may have a passive piezo. 'Instrument' inputs on amps are typically up in the megohms. My Fishman LB Mini is 10 mOhms.

Screenshot from manual

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification