The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-02-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I agree with Aaron. I think any compact transmitter that is placed in close proximity to the endpin preamp of an acoustic guitar is likely to cause interference. You'd have to have a fully RF shielded preamp. The digital preamps like Fishman Aura Enhance systems, with the preamp connected to the endpin jack, would likely experience interference. You can't shield the wireless transmitter because it wouldn't transmit. :-) Active system that house the preamp boards in the shoulder of the guitar (Taylor ES2, Fishman F1 Aura Plus, Takamine, etc.) would have a higher likelihood of working.
I think we should wait and see how it works with active pickups. Xvive have confirmed that their U2 system will not work well with active pickups. To me that's just a low budget wirelss system that wasn't designed properly. I would say the Xvive U2 is 50/50 in terms of people liking it vs. those who hate it. I just wouldn't use it as an example of a good wireless system.

Boss have made it well known that the WL is supposed to work well with active pickups. They are a leader in the industry for a reason so I am going to old off judgement. As a comparison, the Line 6 G10 is 100% quiet with my Amulet M system and my active Godin A8 mandolin. The G10 is known to have some issues with active pickups but it does give me hope that interference will not be a problem with the Boss system.

I want to change my whole rig over to wireless so I might order the Boss system soon. I just can't decide if I want to go for the pedalboard version or the transmitter/receiver system. The only thing I don't like is the two WL-20 versions. I find that hard to decide between. It would be cool to order both and compare to see if there really is a big difference.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I think we should wait and see how it works with active pickups. Xvive have confirmed that their U2 system will not work well with active pickups. To me that's just a low budget wirelss system that wasn't designed properly. I would say the Xvive U2 is 50/50 in terms of people liking it vs. those who hate it. I just wouldn't use it as an example of a good wireless system.

Boss have made it well known that the WL is supposed to work well with active pickups. They are a leader in the industry for a reason so I am going to old off judgement. As a comparison, the Line 6 G10 is 100% quiet with my Amulet M system and my active Godin A8 mandolin. The G10 is known to have some issues with active pickups but it does give me hope that interference will not be a problem with the Boss system.
Like you, I am hopeful that Boss has this somehow figured out. But, my suspicion is that it's the guitar's specific preamp, not the wireless system, that will dictate success. When they say it works with active pickups, I believe they mean electric guitars with active systems, which usually have RF shielded electronics cavities/compartments. Bare PCBs inside an acoustic guitar will be susceptible to interference.

On the other hand, I think the (non cable tone) version might be perfect for passive K&K pickups. There would be an impedance matching preamp right at the end pin, without having to use a conventional internal or external endpin preamps. So, perhaps, for me, there is a silver lining in this product for my use, even if it does not work with my active Fishman systems.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:26 PM

Smile

I'm curious if this low budget solution will also work for "wireless" in ear monitors.

OUT of a QSC touchmix AUX/monitor with an XLR --> 1/4 transformer adapter --> Boss transmitter

IN: Boss receiver --> one of these:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...itor-amplifier

Hmm....mad scientist level hackery? It's a "line level" as well, so....maybe?
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 07-03-2018, 03:34 PM

Not to be a co-hijacker, but I am using a low latency TROND Bluetooth transmitter (TX/RX unit) I bought from Amazon- from the line out of my S1/Fishman LB Amps or board to a TROND low latency receiver and my BOSE earbuds (TRS type, not units with a mic for phone calls). This actually is working well as low budget IEMs. The receiver even has a volume control. The latency is so minuscule, I really don’t notice in when playing/singing.
Davidc
Old 07-03-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
Not to be a co-hijacker, but I am using a low latency TROND Bluetooth transmitter (TX/RX unit) I bought from Amazon- from the line out of my S1/Fishman LB Amps or board to a TROND low latency receiver and my BOSE earbuds (TRS type, not units with a mic for phone calls). This actually is working well as low budget IEMs. The receiver even has a volume control. The latency is so minuscule, I really don’t notice in when playing/singing.
Davidc
Hmm, I’ll check them out. Thanks!

I’m definitely going to give one of these Boss units a try for guitar.
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 08-22-2018, 08:16 AM

Default BOSS Wireless with LR Baggs Anthem

Made a low constant thumping noise with my Anthem pickup in my Taylor guitar.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Baggs pickups are the only ones that do not work. Use an adapter and should work fine. https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-GPP-151-...1274VDXM99QA4Z
Old 08-22-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Baggs pickups are the only ones that do not work. Use an adapter and should work fine. https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-GPP-151-...1274VDXM99QA4Z

Why would an adapter make a difference? I use two guitars, one with a passive K&K Pure Western Mini and one with an active Baggs Anthem pickup. I'd prefer not to have to have to get separate systems for them.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 08-22-2018, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

The Baggs doesn’t like the stereo plug that the Boss (or G10) uses. It’s an extra hassle but I have found that the Boss is the only system to work on ALL of my guitars (with the adapter on some of them) and it works great so for me it’s totally worth it. I’m making a demo for my YouTube channel right now.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
Davidc
Cool setup! Just to be certain, are these the units you use?

Transmitter:

https://www.amazon.com/TROND-Bluetoo...70_&dpSrc=srch

Receiver:

https://www.amazon.com/TROND-Bluetoo...tency+receiver
Old 08-23-2018, 12:39 PM

Yes - and it was a fairly inexpensive option when you consider that a Shure unit starts at about 600.
A good set of earbuds will help. The units pair just by placing them in close proximity and easily pair again when turned on. The receiver also has a nice volume control.
I use a small headphone amp to boost the signal from the amp line out. You may or may not need that depending on what amp you are using. If from a board, you probably wont need it since the headphone out usually has a volume control.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

The Boss works with most pickups and the adapter fixed it for me on the ones that were a problem.

Here is my demo:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=S3EBv0HdCCA
Old 08-23-2018, 11:14 PM

Amazing video review by AeroUS! Very comprehensive, especially with the part about active pickups!
Old 08-23-2018, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

Superb demo and commentary Aaron! I love the way you thoughtfully address real world considerations and work arounds. GREAT job. Thank you!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 08-24-2018, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

Thank you guys. Please subscribe if you haven’t already and let me know if you have any questions on the wireless system. I’ll be glad to test it out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification