The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-09-2018, 02:39 PM

IME, D'Addario NYXL strings last longer than other uncoated strings--but they cost significantly more.
Taylor 562ce 12-string
Old 07-09-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
Almost everything on almost every instrument contributes to the sound (acoustical properties).
Guitars are made from TONE woods, aluminum, steel, composites, etc..
Brass barrels vs modern contraptions,
stainless or nickel frets,
rosewood or maple necks,
string gauge and composition, etcetera infinitum....

You asked.
Yes, I think those things might matter on an electric because there isn't an empty box that makes a noise that can interfere with those things you mention, so they could matter to the sound of an electric. I wasn't being dismissive when I described an electric like that.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

You have to change the strings ?????????? been 2 years guess I better look into it

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 07-12-2018, 06:32 PM

I used to change them all every month or two, but I've gotten lazy. I just change them when they sound really dead, I need one for a recording session or gig, or a string breaks.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 07-23-2018, 02:54 PM

Default Electric string life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
Almost everything on almost every instrument contributes to the sound (acoustical properties).

Guitars are made from TONE woods, aluminum, steel, composites, etc..

Brass barrels vs modern contraptions,

stainless or nickel frets,

rosewood or maple necks,

string gauge and composition, etcetera infinitum....

You asked.

That’s debatable.

I believe the variables that influence tone in acoustic guitars don’t have the same influence in electric guitars.

The average electric guitar goes through a significant amount of signal processing. In a loud rock concert, for example, any electric guitar whether it’s solid or semi-hollow will probably sound the same as a broomstick with guitar strings and pickups. Whether the guitar is made of maple, mahogany, with this or that string type, or frets, or whatever is tonally irrelevant at concert levels. At that point all we hear is the magic of the guitar pickups, effect pedals, amplifiers and speakers.

acoustic guitar players on average do not use signal processing at all. So it is easier for the human ear to tell the subtle differences between acoustic guitars more easily than with electric guitars. And even so...the moment you plug an acoustic guitar in the game changes.

Last edited by LeftIsRight!; 07-23-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

I want to start by saying that I don't play my electric guitar as much these days as I have when in a band and working...

Strings seem to last a LOT longer on my electrics than on my acoustic guitars... I hear "dead" strings on my acoustics much faster. I have been using Elixir electric strings on my Gibson ES-345 for the past 8 or 9 years; the current set on it is at least 6 years old at this point, and they still sound good, still intonate correctly, still feel good to my hands...!!!

I use D'Addario Chromes on my ES-175 Gibson. They are flat-wound strings, and I actually prefer them to sound a bit dead and "doinky' - that Classic Jazz tone from the 40's and 50's, so as they age, the strings are doing just what I want.

A large part of what I'm saying is that everyone is going to feel differently about string life... I'd let the young man tell YOU when he needs new strings, and let him discern his own preferences about that... certainly, when a guitar won't hold tune or intonate properly, new strings would be the first thing I would try as a "fix".

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 07-25-2018, 03:54 AM

Love the sound and feel of new strings on my Martin (although don't change them near often enough) but get really "meh" when changing strings on my electrics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars