The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
What occurred yesterday was clearly a combination of forces, the majority of which are off-limits for AGF discussion. I hope that I'm not stepping over the line when I say that the thing that probably bothers me most was that my normally peaceful and mellow hometown was chosen, largely by outsiders, to stage this battle of opposing forces. What you've probably seen on the news is not what Charlottesville is all about, and I really resent the image that has been forced on us almost as much as I resent the violence and death that occurred....
For the most part, I doubt anyone has any image of Charlottesville as anything other than a college town. Charlottesville had only a small part to play in this debacle.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
What occurred yesterday was clearly a combination of forces, the majority of which are off-limits for AGF discussion. I hope that I'm not stepping over the line when I say that the thing that probably bothers me most was that my normally peaceful and mellow hometown was chosen, largely by outsiders, to stage this battle of opposing forces. What you've probably seen on the news is not what Charlottesville is all about, and I really resent the image that has been forced on us almost as much as I resent the violence and death that occurred....
Yes it is more gripping when it happens close to home. But I think people understand that fear based hate and crime is a human condition and fault , and not subject to, or reflective of, specific geographical area.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 08-13-2017, 07:41 AM

I just wanna know what boob decided that a statue of Robert E. Lee belonged in Emancipation Park? I imagine even mars Robert would find that a little incongruous.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I just wanna know what boob decided that a statue of Robert E. Lee belonged in Emancipation Park? I imagine even mars Robert would find that a little incongruous.
That would be "Marse Robert" BUT I imagine Mars Bonfire, would find it incongruous also

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 08-13-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
That would be "Marse Robert" BUT I imagine Mars Bonfire, would find it incongruous also
Didn't notice Apple was "helping" me again. Mars Bonfire fans are probably massing in the streets of quiet little Cupertino now with vengeance in their hearts.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I just wanna know what boob decided that a statue of Robert E. Lee belonged in Emancipation Park?
The park had traditionally been called Lee Park until recently when city council decided to remove the statue and the name was changed to "Emancipation Park." The statue was commissioned in 1917 and built in 1924....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-13-2017, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Didn't notice Apple was "helping" me again. Mars Bonfire fans are probably massing in the streets of quiet little Cupertino now with vengeance in their hearts.
Perhaps if they were Born to be Wild.
OK we digress

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 08-13-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
The park had traditionally been called Lee Park until recently when city council decided to remove the statue and the name was changed to "Emancipation Park." The statue was commissioned in 1917 and built in 1924....
And they didn't forsee any problems with that?
Old 08-13-2017, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
And they didn't forsee any problems with that?
I think council's need to be PC overshadowed longer term predictions. There's currently an injunction to halt removal of the statue....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-13-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I'm thankful there are at least some opposing forces. One would hope the local populace were among them.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
I'm thankful there are at least some opposing forces. One would hope the local populace were among them.
Problems were anticipated, and various law enforcement & EMS agencies tried to prepare. The local populace was encouraged to avoid the downtown area which tends to be pretty congested even on a regular day...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-13-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Problems were anticipated, and various law enforcement & EMS agencies tried to prepare. The local populace was encouraged to avoid the downtown area which tends to be pretty congested even on a regular day...
Given that, and adding to it the potential for injury/death of citizens, and all the costs associated in real and emotional terms, "build a new park" was not an option?
Old 08-13-2017, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Given that, and adding to it the potential for injury/death of citizens, and all the costs associated in real and emotional terms, "build a new park" was not an option?
If city leaders had been able or willing to predict the possible worst case affects of removing the statue and changing the name of Lee Park, building a new park might have been an option. I never heard that it was although moving the statue to another location was considered and voted down by city council....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-13-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
If city leaders had been able or willing to predict the possible worst case affects of removing the statue and changing the name of Lee Park, building a new park might have been an option. I never heard that it was although moving the statue to another location was considered and voted down by city council....
Well, if they ever need to go to Richmond, tell them to stay off Monument Avenue. They might just stroke out behind the wheel.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, if they ever need to go to Richmond, tell them to stay off Monument Avenue. They might just stroke out behind the wheel.
As a former Richmonder, I know what you mean; but at the risk of stating the obvious Richmond and C'ville are two very different places...
Martin 000-15sm
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic