The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-07-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
I'm strongly tempted. I play fingerstyle on nylon string guitars, so nail wear isn't a problem, but tone production is always desirable...

My wife sent for a couple of those "artsy" glass nail files (imprinted with the seller's artwork) saying.... "They're just as good.

They worked fine for a couple of weeks but then whatever the abrasive surface is composed of was gone.... Not a bargain at all.
What are you waiting for, just go for it! the nail files really don't cost that much and the surface lasts. I've gone through several nail files myself and I'm kicking myself for not stumbling across Wolfram earlier haha

It's really a must have for all those finger pickers out there; why spend thousands of dollars on your guitars but not spending a little more to get that extra enjoyment out of playing it Glad to see several of the "custom shop" regulars using one too

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 02-07-2017, 08:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I'm strongly tempted. I play fingerstyle on nylon string guitars, so nail wear isn't a problem, but tone production is always desirable...

My wife sent for a couple of those "artsy" glass nail files (imprinted with the seller's artwork) saying.... "They're just as good.

They worked fine for a couple of weeks but then whatever the abrasive surface is composed of was gone.... Not a bargain at all.
Yeah, I hear this a lot, especially at guitar shows - "I got one just like it for £0.50 from the market".

Precision : Crystal files are not the same as these cheap Chinese files - they're made for me, largely by hand, in the Czech Republic from genuine high-quality Bohemian crystal glass. Our abrasive is acid-etched directly into the glass substrate, then the file is double-tempered to harden the surface (they are the toughest glass files in the world - one US seller of glass nail files claims theirs are 102% tougher than unhardened glass; mine have been independently tested to be around 200% tougher than standard glass). I guarantee the filing surface for life - used on nails, it will never wear out.

The quality of the filing surface is also completely different to anything else I'm aware of out there - here's a quick photo at 400x magnification showing how fine and consistent Precision : Crystal is to three other glass files:

Let me know if you have any questions - happy to help.

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Just don't drop it on a hard floor. I can still use mine but it's considerably shorter than it started. It's a good file and certainly better than the cheap metal files you find for 2 bucks in the grocery store.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram Slides View Post
I just wanted to say that I've spoken with Jean-Paul and confirmed that his Wolfram file was actually broken when bent in the back pocket of his jeans - as he reported in his earlier post here: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...=415472&page=6. Just to be clear, the file did not break during normal use - they're really not so fragile (our glass is double-hardened to make them the toughest glass files in the world), and I have many happy customers still using their files after several years.
Indeed, I can't see this file breaking during normal use.
As I already said, I want such a tool to be available anytime, so I put it in my usual cargo trousers set-up (which is quite sophisticated, thanks to years of travelling in remote places).
Now I should have think a bit more before putting the file sandwiched between several layers of credit cards in a wallet, inside my left front pocket.
At my age, I don't bend that much so often, and I have more secure places among the 5 little pouches always on my belt.
Live and learn...

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 02-07-2017, 11:20 PM

I keep two handy and use one almost weekly. They do a much better job than those emory boards. No damage to the nails and they are much easier to shape the curve or point with. I keep one in my bag and one at home, near my guitars.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:54 PM

I received mine a few weeks ago and it works very well indeed. A great product.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:36 AM

Got mine in the mail couple of weeks ago and I am impressed!
This really is head and shoulders above the file I was using and following up with micromesh for that last too many years.
Wish I had ordered this a long time ago.
Well done on a great product!
Old 02-08-2017, 06:08 AM

I too tried the various drug store files and never got good results. My nails would always split. I've been using the Wolfram file for almost 4 months now. I have not had a split nail since I started using it.

BTW -- I also play nylon string guitar. The wolfram file has improved my tone quite a bit because those ragged edges on my nails are gone.

Dave

Quote:

2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 02-08-2017, 06:29 AM

Nice to see so many others agree.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 02-08-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty player View Post
I like mine as well. I haven't been able to get the smoothest surface with little or no pressure using the Wolfram or the "sealed nail" they talk about. Maybe i just need to practice a bit. It still gets nails very smooth but I find I still benefit from buffing the nail with side 3 or 4 or the Hawaiian Nail file endorsed by Ed Gerard and others. If any helpful suggestions, I would love to hear them.
I have the same experience with the standard file - which is great. But I do end up using very fine (400-600) sandpaper for the smooth finish I like. I do use a very light touch with the finish of the file. Excellent product.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 02-08-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
I have the same experience with the standard file - which is great. But I do end up using very fine (400-600) sandpaper for the smooth finish I like. I do use a very light touch with the finish of the file. Excellent product.
You made the same comment in a previous thread, to which I responded that 400 (and 600 as well) ) is way, way, coarser than the fine side of the Wolfram file , so i am really puzzled how you can get a smoother finish using sandpaper of that grit. If you were using 2500 or 3000, then ... maybe .... but even then, I doubt it.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:53 AM

I bought 2 of them and love them!! Unfortunately after a couple of months, one of them snapped while I was using it. No problem...kept using it. Then my wife snapped the other one a month later!! Lesson: Use light pressure .
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 07-09-2018, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Just ordered a pro and a nano. First time in my life I've had nails so I hope these will help get them to the point where I can actually start picking with them.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMikey View Post
Just ordered a pro and a nano. First time in my life I've had nails so I hope these will help get them to the point where I can actually start picking with them.
In my experience, if you really want to get your nails in playing shape, I have found that this kit is what you need. :https://www.stringsbymail.com/string...file-6501.html

The file will get you close, but the micromesh paper will get you all the way there. BTW, I have both the Wolfram and the file by Stings by Mail file. I have found them to be identical.

Steve
Old 07-09-2018, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

While I’m not a nail file expert, I did order a Wolfram years ago, and have loved it—does such a great job. Sadly, recently mine managed to break in half by what means I’m not sure, so do be careful with it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion