The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-16-2018, 09:26 PM

Default Kyser capo and d tuning..

Just wondering but when I tune down a full step and apply the Kyser capo all the strings go sharp.. is the capo at fault? I retune after placing the capo. I just posted about my D-18 and playability.. maybe I need a better capo.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:30 PM

Kyser capos quite commonly cause strings to go sharp. It's possible to avoid that when using one, but you've got to learn how to snug it in just right.

It's easier to get better results using a Shubb capo, frankly.

whm
Old 07-16-2018, 09:35 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logdy View Post
Just wondering but when I tune down a full step and apply the Kyser capo all the strings go sharp.. is the capo at fault? I retune after placing the capo. I just posted about my D-18 and playability.. maybe I need a better capo.
We had a thread just recently about this. Capos are all prone to pulling strings sharp. Some people suggest putting the capo on top of the fret, some right before it. The problem with the clamp type capos are you can't adjust the tension. The Planet Waves NS is inexpensive and has a knob you turn to tighten. It also has a lower profile than the Kyser clamp style. I now use a Paige Clik that is a yoke style and does a better job than the Planet Wave NS and it costs about $20. I'll be experimenting with capo placement and tension also tomorrow night. I usually just tune before and then adjust the tuning after putting it on. It's not a big deal, but on some nights its a little annoying.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-16-2018, 10:42 PM

Thanks all.. just ordered a Kyser replacement...
Old 07-17-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
We had a thread just recently about this. Capos are all prone to pulling strings sharp. Some people suggest putting the capo on top of the fret, some right before it. The problem with the clamp type capos are you can't adjust the tension. The Planet Waves NS is inexpensive and has a knob you turn to tighten. It also has a lower profile than the Kyser clamp style. I now use a Paige Clik that is a yoke style and does a better job than the Planet Wave NS and it costs about $20. I'll be experimenting with capo placement and tension also tomorrow night. I usually just tune before and then adjust the tuning after putting it on. It's not a big deal, but on some nights its a little annoying.
+ 1 for the stirrup type Paige Clik. Elliot is heavier build but if you have a D-28 there may be fit issues with the volute if you like to store it on the end of the neck beyond the nut. Paige fits fine on a D-28.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 07-17-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks all.. just ordered a Kyser replacement...
What did you order?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-17-2018, 09:54 AM

I ordered a shubb
Old 07-17-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I ordered a shubb
You're gonna like it.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-17-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
+1 for the NS. Great bang for your capo buck.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:13 PM

Guitars go sharp when you fret strings. Not only by using a capo but even just making a chord with your fingers.

Tune your guitar in open position.
Now with the tuner on, fret each string on the guitar at the third fret and check out the tuning.
You will see that several strings are now sharp.

A capo will make this occurrence even more exaggerated because of the extra tension used to get all of the strings ringing and not muted.

An adjustable capo like a Shubb or Paige will make this less noticeable if you only apply the needed pressure.
Capos like Kyser have preset pressure, which is usually overkill and will cause the guitar to go sharper than an adjustable capo will.

The answer is to use the capo of your choice and adjust any strings that you have to and then play on.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:40 PM

Kyser's are generally very high tension capos. You can bend it a bit to ease some of the tension. I don't usually use it, but I have one at home. I initially overdid the bending and had to put some tension back on - but it's better than it was.

I don't know anyone who uses a Kyser who doesn't retune at least the 6th string.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion