The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-15-2019, 10:48 AM

Default Pre amp/DI

I am looking for a non-rack mounted DI for use with a Fender Acoustisonic 90 amp. Guitars are Taylors, a Larrivee and a PRS Hollowbody II with a piezo. I want a DI that I can use with the acoustics and the PRS HB II. have used Google-fu until I’m bleary eyed and the current list of nominees are:
Fishman Aura Spectrum DI Imaging Pedal with DI
Fishman Platinum Pro EQ/DI Analog Preamp
LR Bagss Venue DI Acoustic Preamp EQ/DI/Tuner

I don’t have clear picture of what the differences are between the Fishman Aura and the Platinum Pro. Once that gets figured out I’m then into the Fishman vs Baggs question.

I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:59 PM

The ones you listed are fine. They are all different animals in my book. Understand what each does. Not all Preamp DI’s have the same tools. Find the one that has the tools you need. I have in mind the perfect preamp and I don’t believe it exists so I am talking with the guys at Sunnaudio to build me the perfect floor pedal. They currently have a great one that is very simple but lacks tools that I want. They are soon coming out with a two channel version that has most of what I need. Hopefully, after that they will do a single channel version.

Oh well, that gets me a little off your question. In short, they all do a good job but you need to shop to get the feature set you really need. If you want effects included then there are 4 or 5 out there that include the basic effects. If you don’t want included effects then you can narrow your search quickly.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 12-15-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWilde View Post

I don’t have clear picture of what the differences are between the Fishman Aura and the Platinum Pro. Once that gets figured out I’m then into the Fishman vs Baggs question.

I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.
The Aura has this microphone imaging thing that can be nice if you want to fight piezo quack we all appreciate . The Platinum is a "plain" preamp packed with great features and great sounds as is the Baggs.
I would recommend the Platinum or Baggs - just do not know how effective the Aura works with the Taylor pickups. Maybe others can chime in and comment on this special subject.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 12-16-2019, 06:53 AM

Since you are looking for something for BOTH acoustic and your piezo equipped PRS HBII, I have a different recommendation, but agree the other preamps are excellent.

I have a 1999 PRS Archtop with piezo and always felt the piezo was a bit too “thin” and metallic to use alone. Generally I would mix it with the mag and just use the piezo more for tone. One option that is not often a commonly mentioned preamp is the Tech21 SansAmp Acoustic DI (no longer made but often available used) or the newer version - the SansAmp Driver. Both models have tube emulation to thicken up the tone AND eliminate the piezo overtones.

The SansAmp Driver also has a low cut (Rumble) option and “Air” which sounds really good with my K&K Taylors. What works well is the sweepable mids that allows you the flavor of a nice clean Fender, or turn up the drive for a little more dirt. SansAmp gives you some sample settings and they really do work and sound good. The acoustic settings they suggest and the electric settings really do work well.

The caveat to this is that I prefer my HX Stomp for just about everything and it would do very well for all your needs. It is just pricey (not unreasonable) and that may or may not be an option. The Stomp is an excellent preamp with more options than anything I have used before. Most multi-effects pedals are all geared towards overdriven ear splitting sounds. The Stomp has that capability but it gives me anything I could ever need and has opened up some new sounds for me as well.

So for a simple preamp, I really think the SansAmp Driver is a great buy and is my Swiss Army knife that I keep in my kit. I also have a Headway EDB2 that is a really great and affordable option for a straight up preamp with excellent clarity and very good eq.

Davidc
Old 12-16-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
Since you are looking for something for BOTH acoustic and your piezo equipped PRS HBII, I have a different recommendation, but agree the other preamps are excellent.

I have a 1999 PRS Archtop with piezo and always felt the piezo was a bit too “thin” and metallic to use alone. Generally I would mix it with the mag and just use the piezo more for tone. One option that is not often a commonly mentioned preamp is the Tech21 SansAmp Acoustic DI (no longer made but often available used) or the newer version - the SansAmp Driver. Both models have tube emulation to thicken up the tone AND eliminate the piezo overtones.

The SansAmp Driver also has a low cut (Rumble) option and “Air” which sounds really good with my K&K Taylors. What works well is the sweepable mids that allows you the flavor of a nice clean Fender, or turn up the drive for a little more dirt. SansAmp gives you some sample settings and they really do work and sound good. The acoustic settings they suggest and the electric settings really do work well.

The caveat to this is that I prefer my HX Stomp for just about everything and it would do very well for all your needs. It is just pricey (not unreasonable) and that may or may not be an option. The Stomp is an excellent preamp with more options than anything I have used before. Most multi-effects pedals are all geared towards overdriven ear splitting sounds. The Stomp has that capability but it gives me anything I could ever need and has opened up some new sounds for me as well.

So for a simple preamp, I really think the SansAmp Driver is a great buy and is my Swiss Army knife that I keep in my kit. I also have a Headway EDB2 that is a really great and affordable option for a straight up preamp with excellent clarity and very good eq.

Davidc
Kind of off topic here. The HX Stomp seems to be a great recommendation. I have a full Helix floor pedal and i think it does a wonderful job dialing in anything anyone would want. I don’t use it hardly at all due to laziness, overkill, needing a fast non AC option, etc.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 12-16-2019, 10:42 AM

I used to have a Fishman Platinum Pro. It’s a great D.I. with a lot of features.
Now I’m using a Red Eye “FireEye Twin“. It will accommodate two instruments and I use it in conjunction with an MXR M108S EQ which is much easier to adjust on the fly.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-16-2019, 07:52 PM

I appreciate the info folks. Much thanks.

Currently in St. Augustine, FL and won't be home for another few days. Also awaiting a 'guru' music type friend of mine to get back in the country (probably after Xmas) to pick his brain. So I am still researching on the HX stomp (not bothered by the price) and San driver. Yeah YouTube.

Still digging but the 2 instrument option is also catching my eye.

Again, much thanks.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:33 PM

We rack mount all kinds of stuff for Broadway tours with heavy duty Velcro. The road racks get bounced around pretty well in the trucks and they're pretty stable. Just put a full shelf and velcro away.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

I’ll suggest Grace Design (it is pricey but soooo good at least for what I need). For 2 channels the Felix is great or single channel the Alix is great. I’ve used both the Venue and the Aura and found the Felix/Alix fit my needs better for my all my K&K equipped instruments. It’s worth taking one of instruments to a store and trying some of these
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 12-20-2019, 07:00 AM

Some really great suggestions.

I would love to test drive some of the options. Not sure that is going to be possible.
Old 12-20-2019, 04:27 PM

Like other folks have said, it all depends on your needs.

I am a fan of the Radial PZ-Pre and PZ Deluxe units. You might consider them.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post

Davidc
Is this the SansAmp model you're speaking of?
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification