The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-15-2019, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

It is interesting to hear so many positive posts of purchasing sans playing first. I suppose that a solid return policy makes this a fairly low risk situation.

I must admit I'm a firm believer in I must be in the room to accurately hear the tone (in that room).

I must also cop to not being a guitar trader, or upgrader, of any sort.
I have only purchased 3 acoustics in the last 25 years and sold one, all face to face except one.

I did in fact buy my Breedlove Phoenix online from a reputable dealer .
Only after having played several of that exact model over the course of several years.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-15-2019, 09:06 AM

I'm 2 for 4 - all Guitar Center used, all great deals. The two I returned were Martins - a D-15 that had a barely noticeable crack, and a J40 that was very good but not great. On the other hand, the two Guilds I got are fantastic guitars - a 1976 F-512 and a 1980 D-25 with a gorgeous burst. I haven't come across either model in 10 years of shopping, so I probably wouldn't have gotten them any other way. The only risk is time and maybe a shipping fee. (There was no fee for the damaged D15.) Easily a risk worth taking as far as I'm concerned.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:14 AM

I've had good success with the few guitars I've acquired over the years. My Bourgeois came from Dream guitars on a trade, the Bamburg and Vines came via sales here on AGF, and the Doerr was custom built for me. The one exception was my Martin D12-20......Guitar Center. One strum......"ah, who can I talk to about taking this guitar home"! I put a deposit down to hold it, but did return the next day and spent a good hour with it, before closing the deal.

Overall, I think I've relied on the super level of quality found in these individual luthiers which gave me confidence in what I'd find in these guitars. Lots of research and clips listened to, of course, but in the end, I felt strongly that what I'd receive would be stellar and that has proven to be the case.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 12-15-2019, 09:21 AM

I used to buy on eB as I was away from any well-stuffed brick and mortar guitar store.

You have to look at pics with scrutiny and ask lateral views of the neck to witness neck action and avoid shaved down saddle at bridge.

Never got a crappy instrument. All delivered their promises.
I kept those that suited my playing the best and quite easily sold the others.

Buying used helps get nice deals on which you won't loose much money if you decide to resell.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:24 AM

I have bought 10 guitars in my lifetime. 5 of those were ordered sight unseen from Amazon, MF, GC, and SA. The others I picked out after handling them in the store or private sale.

All of my experiences have been positive except for a Martin 000RS1 that just sounded deader than a door nail to me (could have been the mahogany I suppose). It went back, but that process went very smoothly.

My next guitar will be ordered by phone or email.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:33 AM

The last one I got with out playing I would have put back. But it was a Christmas gift from my wife. So it's a "keeper".

The only one purchased "on line" I played before I bought it.

I asked about financing at my favorite shop. Their local finance rates stunk. Reverb terms were much better. So while I was at the store they posted it. When they were finished they said look it up. I got on Reverb and bought it.

While the owner of the store is getting the case and everything together we do the feedback thing. Didn't take 10 minutes.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 12-15-2019, 10:08 AM

I've never really done it with an acoustic. For me the desire to play 3-4 (or more) instruments when seeking something specific like a J-45, or even more obscure guitar, is critical to the selection. Just like I wouldn't order a puppy on line, I want to feel and hear the personality and character of an instrument prior to buying. After all, it's not a D-41, it's MY D-41, and I want to select it.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:38 AM

I have two guitars out of twelve that I didn’t play before buying.
Journey OF660.
I wanted a dedicated, nearly indestructible travel guitar.
With a good deal of research I had narrowed the field down to Journey Instruments.
Because of price I was ready to get an OF410 or OF420.
I managed to sit down with all three while on a road trip.
When I was ready to buy a year or more later, my wife insisted on the CF model because she wanted the most hassle free guitar if I was going to insist on bringing one. Our own Ted made it happen.
It is a great sounding little guitar. Even moreso when you realize it’s pretty much high-tech plastic.

The other is a Takamine NPT115 that was rescued from a dumpster.
It was missing one of the split saddles, so I couldn’t really evaluate it.
I got it home, made a replacement saddle, got it strung, and was blown away by how good the little beast sounded. It’s beat to hell but I’m keeping it.
My granddaughter has expressed an interest in learning to play.
She is five, and based on her current size, it will be the perfect size for her when she’s ready.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 12-15-2019, 11:02 AM

I’ve bought several instruments and generally been happy. Paradoxically my shortest lived instrument was probably the one I spent most time playing in a store; once I got it home I never really bonded with it.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:09 PM

Always a big fan of playing them first but sometimes there's no other way than taking a risk. No guts no glory I'd say
Old 12-15-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
I wouldn't even bother "researching" something that must be experienced first-hand...
What works for some doesn't work for others.

It is not always practical to try before you buy, and in those instances research allows you to make more informed choices.
Most dealers have very reasonable try out/return policies, so purchases can be experienced first hand.

Playing a guitar before buying is no guarantee of lasting satisfaction. Just go check the classified ads.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Normally, my advice to anyone is: "Play it before you buy it, if possible..."

However, I have to admit that both my 6 string acoustics were built for me, specifically, and I had no way to "play them before I bought them"..

And it's worked out very well for me... I've played, written, gigged, recorded, loved and lived with my Mark Angus #35 ever since Mark built it for me in 1979... my Goodall is only 8 years old, but it was built for me by James and Luke; it is everything I asked James to produce for me, and then some!

So, I'd have to say that it works well at times to "buy before you play"...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-15-2019, 01:05 PM

I misread the Title and thought it said:

"Buying without paying... your experiences".

Now I'm disappointed... would have been a much more exciting read...

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life -- Frank Zappa.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:40 PM

I bought my Larrivée from someone on AGF. He provided excellent pics and chatted extensively about his experience with the guitar. But it’s also a Larrivée, so I knew what it should sound and play like. I was not disappointed at all.
1986 Charvel Model 3A electric

2001 Fender Jazz standard bass
1935 A-00 Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Kelii soprano ukulele
Old 12-15-2019, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

I've had good experiences with ordering online, and I've done it about two dozen times over the last 4-5 years. Some have been keepers, others catch and release after a time, but no regrets along the way. Some have been screaming deals, where there was no risk, knowing I could sell it later for the same or more than I paid. Most have been purchased new with only one of my dozen acoustic guitars purchased used, plus two of my electric guitars.

I prefer to purchase with a trusted dealer for the best selection, price, and who stands behind their products. I have purchased used via eBay and Reverb, but those cause me a little anxiety on whether I get what's been advertised. Reverb seems to protect me as a buyer, which is good.

As for the guitars I've traded out, they were usually impulse buys on sale, although I did trade out several guitars over the last couple of years, as I've learned more about my own sound preferences.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion