The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-13-2019, 07:33 AM

Default Finally replaced Fishman Aura VT from my GPC-28E

It's my first post here on AGF. I gig a couple of times a month and have been a regular reader for a while. I really appreciate the helpful takes on all things acoustic amplification. Just thought I'd pass along my experience.

I've owned my 2016 Martin GPC-28e for 3 years and love the guitar but just have never been able to warm up to the factory fishman aura enhance VT. I've tried just about every type of pre amp and just never been able to get a pleasant tone out of it. Always thin and harsh.

I finally decided to have my luthier make a rosewood jack plate to replace the plastic Martin Fishman plate then replaced the fishman completely with a passive Schatten HFN. Amazing. Problem solved. BTW, I installed an HFN in my J45 about 6 months ago and love it in that guitar also. Not even much need to EQ either guitar. For gigis I run thru a Baggs Session DI pedal and have EQ at the board if needed. It gives me that warm tone I've been looking for that actually sounds like my guitar! Cheers
Old 12-13-2019, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the install. I have a GPC-28E as well and just love it tons. I was actually pretty happy with its Aura VT Enhance when I was gigging with it, but eventually got terrified of playing it in bars and switched to a Martin Road Series with its mediocre Sonitone that I haven't had the time to upgrade.

I tend to like active on-board systems but maybe I'll have to reconsider!
Old 12-13-2019, 09:51 AM

Can you post a picture? Is there a reason you didn't retain the plastic plate?
Old 12-13-2019, 10:05 AM

Understood about having an onboard preamp for control. This setup requires me to have my Baggs Session at all times to control volume. That allows me to have the feedback notch filter always handy tho
Old 12-13-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrush13 View Post
It's my first post here on AGF. I gig a couple of times a month and have been a regular reader for a while. I really appreciate the helpful takes on all things acoustic amplification. Just thought I'd pass along my experience.

I've owned my 2016 Martin GPC-28e for 3 years and love the guitar but just have never been able to warm up to the factory fishman aura enhance VT. I've tried just about every type of pre amp and just never been able to get a pleasant tone out of it. Always thin and harsh.

I finally decided to have my luthier make a rosewood jack plate to replace the plastic Martin Fishman plate then replaced the fishman completely with a passive Schatten HFN. Amazing. Problem solved. BTW, I installed an HFN in my J45 about 6 months ago and love it in that guitar also. Not even much need to EQ either guitar. For gigis I run thru a Baggs Session DI pedal and have EQ at the board if needed. It gives me that warm tone I've been looking for that actually sounds like my guitar! Cheers
Thanks for the report.

Did you install the HFN yourself (on either or both guitars) or have the luthier do it? I ask because my own luthier seemed a little insulted when I asked about installing an HFN. (Literally dozens of local musicians are using his own "Little Jimmy" SBT which is a very precisely installed set of JJB transducers.)
Old 12-13-2019, 10:11 AM

I'll try to post a pic later martingitdave. I'm new so I'm not entirely sure how yet. I chose to do this as it centers the input jack to the center of the plate (with the fishman / martin system the jack is really close to the back if the guitar - the Schatten would have most likely fit but would have been a tight fit) This also allowed me to just remove and retain the entire system if I ever wanted to reinstall. My luthier put the screws holes in place to use the existing 3 holes. Kind of similar to the Taylor Expression removal plugs.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:13 AM

I installed it myself with the tape. I know others have had string balance or tone issues but it's worked really well in both my guitars just being careful with the placement of the pickup. It really is a huge improvement to my ears.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I'll try to post a pic later martingitdave. I'm new so I'm not entirely sure how yet. I chose to do this as it centers the input jack to the center of the plate (with the fishman / martin system the jack is really close to the back if the guitar - the Schatten would have most likely fit but would have been a tight fit) This also allowed me to just remove and retain the entire system if I ever wanted to reinstall. My luthier put the screws holes in place to use the existing 3 holes. Kind of similar to the Taylor Expression removal plugs.
Very nice! Sounds like a worthwhile project.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I installed it myself with the tape. I know others have had string balance or tone issues but it's worked really well in both my guitars just being careful with the placement of the pickup. It really is a huge improvement to my ears.
Thanks again for the info.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification