The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-15-2019, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Its kind of odd (to me) that with all the banter about this new JBL One Compact, almost all the dialogue is about volume and technical concerns or constraints and work arounds.

I am not seeing any posts like; This JBL One Compact is GReAT, or The JBL one Compact is OK, but not quite good enough for gigging.

Not many people are encapsulating findings in a manner of 'summary.'
I can only conclude its compromises are as many as its attributes.

I did see CUKI's post where he copied a general overview of uses who liked it or didn't like. I think he might have done that because there is so much sifting through the thread.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-15-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Its kind of odd (to me) that with all the banter about this new JBL One Compact, almost all the dialogue is about volume and technical concerns or constraints and work arounds.

I am not seeing any posts like; This JBL One Compact is GReAT, or The JBL one Compact is OK, but not quite good enough for gigging.

I did see CUKI's post where he copied a general overview of uses who liked it or didn't like. I think he might have done that because there is so much sifting through the thread.

Good point. I think that because it’s such a close facsimile of the Bose S1 Pro, most of the discussion has been about what it does differently from that speaker. The technical considerations are most of what held back the S1.

This speaker is a very nice battery powered 8” speaker with a very full featured digital mixer onboard. Basically, if you liked your S1 because if it’s size and battery features, but wished it had a more flat/clean response, you’ll probably like this speaker. It’s no louder than the S1. It just has a flatter cleaner response with extended low end versus the S1. And the digital control is second to none for this speaker size. However, if you’re not an “app” person, you might not appreciate the digital feature.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:

I guess we are cautious now. I mean so many people were raving about the Bose S1... When I first try it: I was VERY disappointed.

My Bose S1 thread

Similar thing occured when AeroUSA launched the Schatten HFN trend. Many started to rediscover this pickup... Some were delighted, some less impressed. But there was definitely a HFN frenzy.

I've seen no Amp/PA or pickup that convinced everyone in this forum.

The only thing that gets "almost" only praise is Tonedexter because it is such a game changer...

For the rest, it is all about compromise. For example, although I love my JBL compact I don't see any solid reason for Necrome to upgrade from his AH4x4. I need the EQ power, most UST user don't.

It's been few years I read this forum. I started to read threads like "This is the best XXX I ever had!" and asked myself "Maybe it is what I need?".

After few disappointment and coupled 100€s lost, I started to read the threads like "Do I need Hi-Z preamp?", "How do you EQ your SBT?"... I bought Doug Young's special Acoustic Guitar Magazine booklet on amplification and started to educate myself.

I went through all kind of pickups, mic, preamps, EQ pedals, Speakers & amp from all brands... (Taylor, DPA, Baggs, D-TAR, MXR, Headway, Bose, AER, SR, Marshall, Fishman... ).

Then I started to know what I want. I wanted my own IR. ...But Nobody sold it. I wanted what does Tonedexter... and because Tonedexter did not exist... I started to make my own...

To conclude, I see the AGF more as an education place than a promotion place.

Here is a link to Doug Young'd booklet. If one want to go acoustic-electric and has no idea about it. He should buy it. He would save himself some time & money.

https://store.acousticguitar.com/col...ion-essentials
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 12-15-2019, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

I'm a fan of the speaker for sure. It has some slight app issues to work out, but the tone is great. I purchased an Eon 610 speaker to go with it. Now I have a portable BT speaker for doing small gigs (Compact) and with the Eon 610 can cover a slightly larger area. It's definately more than I need but the deals were good on the 610 this season. I am happy with the sound of the speaker and with the EQ control. I think the Eon One Compact is an overall win for JBL.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
It’s no louder than the S1. It just has a flatter cleaner response with extended low end versus the S1. And the digital control is second to none for this speaker size. However, if you’re not an “app” person, you might not appreciate the digital feature.

I think it’s louder than my S1.

I think the app is a bit of a pain, but it’s nice to have the additional features.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I think it’s louder than my S1.

I think the app is a bit of a pain, but it’s nice to have the additional features.

That’s a good report! I thought my guitar was about the same, but I’m sure different pickup systems will have different results.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:26 PM

Smile

I decided on the Bose S1 when the JBL Compact was released.
I love the Bose S1 and its simplicity. No regrets on my decision.
Everyone is different, for me the Bose is just right.
Thought I'd throw this in the ring for fun
Old 12-15-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
I guess we are cautious now. I mean so many people were raving about the Bose S1... When I first try it: I was VERY disappointed.

My Bose S1 thread

Similar thing occured when AeroUSA launched the Schatten HFN trend. Many started to rediscover this pickup... Some were delighted, some less impressed. But there was definitely a HFN frenzy.

The only thing that gets "almost" only praise is Tonedexter because it is such a game changer...

For the rest, it is all about compromise. For example, although I love my JBL compact I don't see any solid reason for Necrome to upgrade from his AH4x4. I need the EQ power, most UST user don't.

It's been few years I read this forum. I started to read threads like "This is the best XXX I ever had!" and asked myself "Maybe it is what I need?".

After few disappointment and coupled 100€s lost, I started to read the threads like "Do I need Hi-Z preamp?", "How do you EQ your SBT?"... I bought Doug Young's special Acoustic Guitar Magazine booklet on amplification and started to educate myself.

I went through all kind of pickups, mic, preamps, EQ pedals, Speakers & amp from all brands... (Taylor, DPA, Baggs, D-TAR, MXR, Headway, Bose, AER, SR, Marshall, Fishman... ).

Then I started to know what I want. I wanted my own IR. ...But Nobody sold it. I wanted what does Tonedexter... and because Tonedexter did not exist... I started to make my own...

Here is a link to Doug Young'd booklet. If one want to go acoustic-electric and has no idea about it. He should buy it. He would save himself some time & money.

This is essentially true and I'm thankful for it! The forum members' in-depth analysis serves as a great education source for me when it comes to semi big-ticket purchases like the Compact. Products nowadays are mostly compromises with many pros and cons and as a whole, I guess we are more aware of limitations and hence less of "it's great!" or "it sucks!" from individuals.

I'd probably be a little disappointed with the product if I bought it otherwise because we have no option to return/refund it in Singapore The EQ would've been really nice but my primary concern has always been headroom and pure battery-run SPL. If I had more money I would buy it as a sidegrade but here's to waiting for the next big release for acoustic players!

Last edited by necrome; 12-15-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Playing my 2016 Taylor 614ce ES2 through my JBL EON ONE Compact for the first time renders a full-toned, amplified sound. I really can't fault the guitar or the JBL other than to say the JBL could be somewhat louder when approaching max on the main Volume and channel Gain control knobs when the Taylor's Volume knob is at it detent setting. IMHO, one JBL EON ONE Compact should be ideal for coffee-house, nursing-home, and fairly quiet, small-venue pub applications, and two JBL EON ONE Compacts would likely provide enough volume for a medium-size, moderately-loud, pub application.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-15-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
That’s a good report! I thought my guitar was about the same, but I’m sure different pickup systems will have different results.
My volume comparison was with a microphone.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post

My Bose S1 thread

Thank you! I admire and respect the sensible awakenings you shared in this post! I too have become overly excited over certain gear that was "hyped" by people I respect greatly on AGF and elsewhere. But for buying or sometimes demo'ing or trying certain gear, I developed my own findings that were contrary to what I read and the hype I bought into. Video's and opinions are only as valuable as the person playing, their touch, style and preference.

and I am not calling the kettle black or pointing the finger or blaming anyone. I am accountable for forming my own decisions based on my touch, skill level, attack, gig volume, etc. All those things that work for me might make sound horrible in the hands of another player with different needs, touch and approach.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-16-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Thank you! I admire and respect the sensible awakenings you shared in this post! I too have become overly excited over certain gear that was "hyped" by people I respect greatly on AGF and elsewhere. But for buying or sometimes demo'ing or trying certain gear, I developed my own findings that were contrary to what I read and the hype I bought into. Video's and opinions are only as valuable as the person playing, their touch, style and preference.

and I am not calling the kettle black or pointing the finger or blaming anyone. I am accountable for forming my own decisions based on my touch, skill level, attack, gig volume, etc. All those things that work for me might make sound horrible in the hands of another player with different needs, touch and approach.

Gary,

Your gear choices have been great. We’ve all enjoyed the videos you posted along the way. There’s no question that the Anthem works for you. You get a terrific tone. I wouldn’t change anything, if I were you. I think since you play out regularly/professionally, and many of us only play out occasionally, the expectations from our equipment is different. Most of my rehearsal, performance, song leading, and enjoyment is purely acoustic. And when I do amplify, it’s not all that loud. :-)
Old 12-16-2019, 12:21 PM

You can only add effects globally?
Is it possible to use chorus and reverb for the guitar without affecting vocals? And what about different levels of reverb for each channel?
Old 12-16-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautic View Post
You can only add effects globally?
Is it possible to use chorus and reverb for the guitar without affecting vocals? And what about different levels of reverb for each channel?
It is possible to use chorus and reverb without addicting the vocals.

It is possible to have different level or reverb on each channel

WRONG: It is not possible to have chorus and reverb on guitar and only reverb on vocals. WRONG: see DavidE later posts

You have tunable a FX send for each channel. But you have only one FX signal chain. It means that reverb, chorus and delay are on one single line (like a pedal chain). If all 3 fxs are on, everything you will send (guitar, vocals, aux) will get all 3 fxs.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 12-17-2019 at 01:52 AM.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:35 PM

Thank you so much for that precious information.
I was hoping that it would be at least possible to use chorus and reverb on guitar and only reverb on vocals.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
compact, eon, jbl