The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-22-2019, 02:36 AM

Default new guitar strings

Need recommendations for replacing my strings on my Cordoba c10. I've owned the guitar for a year now and haven't changed the strings once. Been playing 3-4 hours a day for the past 3 months and beating the living hell out of the high E and B strings doing tremolo. The strings definitely lost most of it's color and they sound very muted. Thanks!
Old 11-22-2019, 06:00 AM

These are some good strings that perform and sound well for me. I've ventured out to try others but keep these around.

For a good overall tone, I like Oasis strings. You can select different Bass and Treble tensions in a set. The "G" strings are pretty decent in these strings.

Saverez High tension Corum or the 520F with wound G. Just be prepared to replace the G string frequently as it wears more than the others.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

I was always very happy with D'Addario Pro-Arte regular and carbon strings when I was playing more classical. I still have a few sets in the string drawer. These days, I only play Luthier Popular Supreme 20 sets... but they are brighter and lend themselves well to the snappy tone of flamenco type stuff. If I was playing classical again, I'd go back to the D'Addarios. I've done Savarez, Hannabach, and other brands and liked them, but I didn't always feel like I was getting more with those premium brands than the D'Addarios.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:27 PM

ordered some ej46 and hannabach gold from amazon. Just replaced my strings temporarily with the savarez string models they ship with. They sound like 200 times better than the savarez strings it came with when i bought the guitar new...
Old 11-24-2019, 12:10 AM

Default Strings Suggestion

Hi!

I have an old classical guitar. I was at a very long standing guitar shop that closed about 2 yrs ago. The guy who did sales in the front show room said with my old guitar to get medium tension strings. I had wanted high tension as they sound closer to steel strings. I was reluctant as the set of Savarez Alliance HT Classic 540R "Normal tension" "Long Play" strings were about $18 for a set, or maybe a few dollars more than the price I just quoted that that I've found them for on Amazon. I wanted to patronize the little guy and heard that sales guy was a very talented Jazz guitarist who was a teacher and performed paid gigs. I was very glad for his suggestion and will always use that exact set of strings. They sound amazing, much better than D'Arrio (sp?) or any other brand I ever tried and have had that guitar since 1980 when I bought it used from a Salvation Army Store for $10 with the case. The original case fell apart, (after using duct tape for a while ha) cheap cardboard, about 3 yrs ago. People look at my guitar and laugh as it's so worn and joke it looks like Willie Nelson's famous beat up guitar, only I've worn no holes in it. It sounds beautiful too! It's amazing how long the strings keep sounding like new too! Hope I helped.
Sincerely,
Winfred
Old 11-29-2019, 08:34 PM

I think Cordoba says the recommended strings for your guitar are Savarez Cristal Corum high tension 500CJ. I have a guitar student who uses these strings on his Cordoba C5 guitar and they sound fantastic! However, I have another student who has the same strings on his C10 and they sound quite out of tune, especially when playing barre chords up the neck. I think they may not be the most consistent strings for accurate intonation.

I personally think D'addario high tension EJ46 would be worth trying. It is a really good general purpose string set. Not the brightest sound, but they are problem-free, relatively inexpensive and give a more classic nylon sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical