The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-01-2019, 08:22 PM

This is a very timely and interesting thread.
The LD Systems Maui range seems to cater for all needs, with a huge amount of power in some of their models, especially the Maui 28 with 2000W!!
I guess the balance is finding what you need, not just what you can afford!
Having said that, just looking at one of my more used online suppliers, the pricing is not too much of a jump between each offering

**Keep in mind, these are Australian Dollar Prices!!
800W
Maui 5 Standard - $849.00
Maui 5 GO Battery Powered - $1349
1000W
Maui 11 Gen2 - $1329
2000W
Maui 28 Gen2 - $1549

Transport bags available for each one too.
I'm sure, with some searching I could find some slightly better pricing, but this is just for comparisons sake.
I was looking at the Fishman SA330X, but @ $1995 for the standard model without a sub woofer, I'm starting to think one of these might be the better option.
I use a Zoom AC-3 for my guitar, but I've also been looking at a TC Helicon Harmony Singer 2 for the vocals to add something a little extra too.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 12-13-2019, 08:57 AM

Thank you! My story - short version - I am a 25 plus year singer songwriter doing mostly solo gigs. I do over 100 shows a year. Everybody on here that I have come across raved about their Maui systems, so I pulled the trigger and ordered a Maui 11 system, and, I had to ship it back to the store because I got no signal from the subwoofer and very little signal from the horns. It did not work, plain and simple. But, here is the thing - I bought the demo model that was somewhere around half price. I put it together and absolutely loved the look of it, no scratches, very much like new looking. I was bummed. I am asking about their technical support situation because I was going to call them and let them tell me it was a fluke and that I should try again. I emailed, nothing. I phoned - apparently there are 2 companies called LD Systems. Does anyone have a phone number to contact a rep from this company? Because, until I know I can have tech support, I am very resistant to purchase again. Tell me what you think, and thank you for your responses!
Old 12-13-2019, 10:24 AM

For your application I don't think you need a line array.

If your looking for light, hands down Bose S1 is your best choice
15 Lbs! Beautiful sound, loud

I have both the Fishman Mini charge and the LD Maui 5 Go
both great. Fishman heavier than Bose S1 and doesn't have the ability to put up on a stand. Maui 5 has more pieces to carry
Old 12-13-2019, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete44 View Post
Thank you! My story - short version - I am a 25 plus year singer songwriter doing mostly solo gigs. I do over 100 shows a year. Everybody on here that I have come across raved about their Maui systems, so I pulled the trigger and ordered a Maui 11 system, and, I had to ship it back to the store because I got no signal from the subwoofer and very little signal from the horns. It did not work, plain and simple. But, here is the thing - I bought the demo model that was somewhere around half price. I put it together and absolutely loved the look of it, no scratches, very much like new looking. I was bummed. I am asking about their technical support situation because I was going to call them and let them tell me it was a fluke and that I should try again. I emailed, nothing. I phoned - apparently there are 2 companies called LD Systems. Does anyone have a phone number to contact a rep from this company? Because, until I know I can have tech support, I am very resistant to purchase again. Tell me what you think, and thank you for your responses!
Bummer. I have a 5, a 28, and one of their mixers but I've never needed Customer Service yet. Been a few years now too.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 01-22-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I'm trying to sell the Bose to offset some of the cost of a Yamaha Stagepas 1K I will be buying. From what I hear, the bass is terrific and the unit has lots of power. Also, I'm familiar with Yamaha's effects and believe the onboard effects will meet my needs.
Good luck in your quest.
Did you buy the Yahama Stagepas 1k? I am currently in the market and have been doing a lot of research. I am very interested in the Yamaha myself. Bose L1c is a proven system and i think it works great for many but I am looking for a system to play music at small parties as well as play guitar/sing. Yamaha is a bit heavier (which I am okay with) but has lot of bass and controls. I also love the fact it can be controlled via BT. The only thing I am a bit skeptical about is the EQ (only one knob).
Old 01-22-2020, 09:16 PM

I went with the JBL eon one and a Yamaha mixer.
Very happy with it combination.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schataut View Post
Did you buy the Yahama Stagepas 1k? I am currently in the market and have been doing a lot of research. I am very interested in the Yamaha myself. Bose L1c is a proven system and i think it works great for many but I am looking for a system to play music at small parties as well as play guitar/sing. Yamaha is a bit heavier (which I am okay with) but has lot of bass and controls. I also love the fact it can be controlled via BT. The only thing I am a bit skeptical about is the EQ (only one knob).
I got the 1K Stagepas and LOVE IT! I went to a jam with some friends and ran my electric guitar through it, sounded killer! Acoustic-electric (very loud) and sounded great. Vocals had plenty of oomph. I had a bass player play direct through it and it sounded great. The bass is WAY better than the Bose. Makes the Bose bass sound like a bookshelf stereo system. The one knob eq isn't bad. I have run it with and without a mixer. Works well, but I prefer (because I'm used to the controls) using the mixer in conjunction with it.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I got the 1K Stagepas and LOVE IT! I went to a jam with some friends and ran my electric guitar through it, sounded killer! Acoustic-electric (very loud) and sounded great. Vocals had plenty of oomph. I had a bass player play direct through it and it sounded great. The bass is WAY better than the Bose. Makes the Bose bass sound like a bookshelf stereo system. The one knob eq isn't bad. I have run it with and without a mixer. Works well, but I prefer (because I'm used to the controls) using the mixer in conjunction with it.
Thank you for the info. Do you have any jam videos with the 1K Stagepas?
Old 01-28-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schataut View Post
Thank you for the info. Do you have any jam videos with the 1K Stagepas?
Sorry, the jam was with two anti-social media people and I didn't think to record anything.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:44 AM

Default Percussive stomp box

Hi Guys and girls,

I was just wondering how these mini line array setups work with an acoustic guitar and percussive stomp box running through it? (Something like a porch board or Wainator classic)
Anyone got any personal experience with that in regards to sound and low end thump, while being able to reach a dance floor in a crowded bar?

I haven't been able to try one out personally, but was wondering if something like a Bose L1C would cut it? or if I'd need to go for a larger model?

Thanks in advance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification