The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-21-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
Cool! BTW, what strings do you happen to like best on your LG2? I just started experimenting with mine.
I got in a groove w John Pierce PB 12-53, I think they sound great and add a bit of brightness that the LG2 can use. I'll try others, never been much of a D'Addario fan, but I have a cple set of EJ16's in the box, so they'll go on one of my guitars at some point. I also like the Martin Authentic 92/8 in 12-54, and just put a set of the Eric Clapton's on my Waterloo, and I'm really liking those. And haven't tried Monels yet, but would like to give those a spin soon.
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 11-22-2019, 11:04 PM

At Dusty Strings in Seattle I played a Collings that bore a very strong visual and sonic resemblance to a J-45. I would actually describe it as an idealized J-45 tone - thick, woody, strong fundamental, minimal overtones. And it was gorgeous with an antique sunburst and a tiger-stripe pickguard.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolbury View Post
I got in a groove w John Pierce PB 12-53, I think they sound great and add a bit of brightness that the LG2 can use. I'll try others, never been much of a D'Addario fan, but I have a cple set of EJ16's in the box, so they'll go on one of my guitars at some point. I also like the Martin Authentic 92/8 in 12-54, and just put a set of the Eric Clapton's on my Waterloo, and I'm really liking those. And haven't tried Monels yet, but would like to give those a spin soon.
Good to hear, thanks for that. I recently bought a '43 LG2, a really good guitar that I'm pretty sure was strung with PBs. I tried some new John Pierce 80/20s and didn't love them even after a couple days, though I've certainly loved them on other guitars. I'm traveling now, but will try some Retros when I get home -- and then possibly back to PBs.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Either the Taylor 317 or the new 327 with warmest strings played in???
Um. No... no. No.....no....no....no....oh....no..
Old 11-23-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_D View Post
At Dusty Strings in Seattle I played a Collings that bore a very strong visual and sonic resemblance to a J-45. I would actually describe it as an idealized J-45 tone - thick, woody, strong fundamental, minimal overtones. And it was gorgeous with an antique sunburst and a tiger-stripe pickguard.
I go to Dusty Strings, which model is that?
Old 12-15-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralDreedle View Post
I go to Dusty Strings, which model is that?
I didn't take note of the model name/number. It was definitely a vintage sunburst slope dread with tigerstripe pickguard - very Gibson-y looking, on a stand in the stage area.

Sorry for the late response, I lost this thread in the shuffle.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I didn't take note of the model name/number. It was definitely a vintage sunburst slope dread with tigerstripe pickguard - very Gibson-y looking, on a stand in the stage area.

This one? https://store.dustystrings.com/p-518...cj-custom.aspx

I’d thought maybe you were describing a CJ35 model that they’ve had in stock most times I’ve been there, but this used CJ tracks with the placement on the stand rather than the wall.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Kopp, Walker, Fairbanks, and Flammang all come to mind. I'm a big fan of the first two...
Any of them sell direct?
Old 12-15-2019, 11:11 PM

Nope. None that I've played anyway.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:18 PM

I think the thing is that the Gibson sound is considered sort of "wrong" by a lot of guitar makers. Dry, not a lot of sustain, very woody, that sort of thing. Not always all that loud.

But the thing is, they just work.

Other guitar makers feel that the guitars have to be strong in other directions, and I'm not badmouthing those. But it takes some skill to even appreciate Gibson for what they do. It took me a while.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:

I know that one, it's a Maple guitar and I lust after it every time I go in for a lesson, and I agree with your analysis
Old 12-16-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
This one? https://store.dustystrings.com/p-518...cj-custom.aspx

I’d thought maybe you were describing a CJ35 model that they’ve had in stock most times I’ve been there, but this used CJ tracks with the placement on the stand rather than the wall.
I'm sure that's the one he's talking about, that's a fantastic guitar.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:49 PM

Yup, I'm pretty sure that's it. Huge, thumpy fundamental. What a J-45 sounds like in your mind. Great guitar!
Old 12-16-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
If this Gibson tone doesn't do it for you, then your taste in guitar tone is WAY different than mine! I'd LOVE to have a Gibson that sounds like this!!

It does sound good. I would have loved to see him strum the guitar over the sound hole to see what kind of warm sound the guitar has available?

Last edited by Ncbandit; 12-16-2019 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

I have bought 4 Gibson J-45 TV's because of the regret of selling the first one. The fourth is firmly with me now. It is light and tone-full. It has a big dynamic range for a slope, while still using lights.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion