The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-08-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
Laughing.... 80 is a little high for my liking too.
It gets cold in Maryland in the winter. The place I was living in 2011 had free utilities, so why not make it nice and toasty? A guitar bridge shouldn't pop off just because it's 80 degrees. That never happened to my Martin 000-15, Takamine CD132sc, Oscar Schmidt, Mark II acoustic from Walmart, or my Yamaha guitar.
http://stevehung.bandcamp.com
Old 12-11-2019, 08:28 AM

Default Cordoba C5e

I was visiting a friend ~15 years ago and we went to a guitar center to “test drive” guitars. I came across a Cordoba C5e that had the most beautiful sound. I couldn’t believe how sweet it sounded and how loud it was for such a little guitar. We started comparing it to the expensive guitars and nothing came close. I had no intention of buying a guitar that day but I bought that one.

This little guitar has been a curse because the action is high making it a little hard to play but the sound is so sweet that I hate to spend a bunch of money on a better guitar that doesn’t sound as nice. The wide neck has also spoiled me. I didn’t know what a classical guitar was when I bought it.

After 15 years I just upgraded (the new guitar is on the way) and being steel string it will be more versatile but it will have a narrower neck and I doubt that it will sound as sweet.

I need to get rid of it to make room for the new one but how does one part with that sound?
Old 12-11-2019, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjathon View Post
I was visiting a friend ~15 years ago and we went to a guitar center to “test drive” guitars. I came across a Cordoba C5e that had the most beautiful sound. I couldn’t believe how sweet it sounded and how loud it was for such a little guitar. We started comparing it to the expensive guitars and nothing came close. I had no intention of buying a guitar that day but I bought that one.

This little guitar has been a curse because the action is high making it a little hard to play but the sound is so sweet that I hate to spend a bunch of money on a better guitar that doesn’t sound as nice. The wide neck has also spoiled me. I didn’t know what a classical guitar was when I bought it.

After 15 years I just upgraded (the new guitar is on the way) and being steel string it will be more versatile but it will have a narrower neck and I doubt that it will sound as sweet.

I need to get rid of it to make room for the new one but how does one part with that sound?
Did you try to lower the saddle, and/or have the truss rod adjusted to lower the action? I've had to do this on most of the Cordobas that I've had. Most were fine, but I like a really low, almost steel-string-like action.

Why do you have to part with the C5? Since your new guitar is steel string, why not have both, and make your choice to play based on the tone and feel that you prefer on that day? I have a room full of various acoustic and electric guitars, mandolin family instruments, basses, and amplifiers. It's a bit excessive... but most of them each have their own thing going, and I really like doing just about everything, so there's NO way I could pick a single guitar and live with that, unless I just had absolutely no choice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical