The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-15-2019, 07:18 PM

You know, you can find fault with almost every on-line review. Don't like the steel finger picks, the tortoise pick, the capo, the strumming location, no strumming only fingerpicking, no picking only strumming........... Just listen, or don't. It's not worth getting going "crazy" or anything else.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
You know, you can find fault with almost every on-line review. Don't like the steel finger picks, the tortoise pick, the capo, the strumming location, no strumming only fingerpicking, no picking only strumming........... Just listen, or don't. It's not worth getting going "crazy" or anything else.
You would just think a professional review would give you some variety. John Doe in his living room you can't expect much.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncbandit View Post
You would just think a professional review would give you some variety. John Doe in his living room you can't expect much.
You might think that but it's not what I've experienced so I don't think that. When I listen to most of the "professional" reviewer sites (regardless of whether they're guitar stores or individual "influencers") I hear the same song, on the same electronics, sounding pretty much the same.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
LOL!! the point is to demonstrate how the guitars sounds utilizing different playing styles which would include playing in different locations.

Yes, power strumming near the neck for 10 minutes would also get on my nerves,.
Great response, glad we can all have a sense of humor about these things.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
I have the Norman Blake Anthology ....he plays this vintage Martin like a champ and says that capo at the 3rd makes it ( maybe others too) hit what he says is the "sweet spot sound" on the guitar. He is as good ( was) they get, must know something.....
I totally agree. I love the way guitars sound with a capo. Third fret may well be the sweet spot.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:39 PM

For me it would depend on how one plays. There are genres of music where the capo is extensively employed. If I were playing that kind of music I most definitely would want to hear it with a capo.
But if OP means he is seeing reviews where they never play the instrument without a capo, then I agree.
The problem with pro reviews as I see them is that they are trying to sell a product to a public that has a 5 second attention span. The review needs to be short and sweet because no one has any patience anymore. Hard to be thorough when you've got about a minute to showcase the instrument's potential. Add to that they are picking a very good player (if it is a pro review), and depending on that player, they will lean towards one particular style. I want to hear strumming, flatpicking, fingepicking, AND capo. Because I play several styles. That is harder to find consistently than you might think.

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing
Old 12-15-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I don't like demo clips when they use a capo - I want to hear how the guitar sounds.
Yes, but the ones I don't like are the ones played in drop D and don't tell you. I can hear it quickly enough, but if a person doesn't know about that, they could be misled about the low end of the guitar.

Playing up by the bridge does the opposite. I don't think it shows the full range of the guitar.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 12-15-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
I totally agree. I love the way guitars sound with a capo. Third fret may well be the sweet spot.
But if you walk into a music store how many guitars on display have a capo on their 3rd fret?
None.
So a good guitar demo should demonstrate how the guitar sounds more or less 'off the rack'.
By all means play it with a capo when you own it.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-15-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Is it just me, but it drives me crazy to watch videos where the person doing the review doesn't touch the strings more than a few inches from the bridge. Am I the only one who actually plays over the sound hole. Edit: Just to clarify this is in reference to reviews doing a general web search and not directed to any AGF member reviews.

While searching for dreads it was tough to find a review where someone actually strummed the strings over the sound hole instead of hugging the bridge. I actually want to hear them strum close to the neck for maximum bass.

I guess everyone likes to sound like the Tin Man.
A lot of people must like a bright twangy sound by strumming closer to the bridge and playing with new strings all the time. I'm with you. I usually like a more soft, mellow sound with more bass by strumming over the sound hole.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:58 AM

First off, I don’t care what Norman Blake says or likes. I do enjoy his playing but
his “sweet spot” is his, not mine.
I almost always play and strum closer to the neck on the sound hole unless I’m going for an effect. I like more bass and the softer trebles I get doing that.
Demoing a guitar with a Capo...
The usual disclaimers.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-16-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
I agree with this and thought perhaps others might not share that view.

Any capo alters the original sound of the guitar, much like strumming directly in front of the bridge, though not as dramatically.

Only recently have I found a cop that mitigated that effect almost entirely.
What did he do to you? I hope you are not in trouble for some reason.

(Couldn't resist, sometimes typos are just too funny. I make 'em too.)

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:24 AM

Good catch Bard!!! :-)
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 12-16-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
Great response, glad we can all have a sense of humor about these things.
Why thank you!! It was the way you articulated your view of the inarticulate bass that brought on the chuckle.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
First off, I don’t care what Norman Blake says or likes. I do enjoy his playing but
his “sweet spot” is his, not mine.
I almost always play and strum closer to the neck on the sound hole unless I’m going for an effect. I like more bass and the softer trebles I get doing that.
Demoing a guitar with a Capo...
The usual disclaimers.
I have T-Rex arms and couldn't strum over the soundhole on a dreadnought without really altering the way I hold a guitar. I never noticed what the OP says but maybe I'm biased because I always play between the soundhole and the bridge.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:47 AM

I have a similar pet peeve about musical choices in demos. I acknowledge that t's a requirement to first strum an open G chord, C add 9, and a D. Add in some open position bluegrass licks, too, just for fun.

But then I'll be needing to hear a Bb13 and an Fm9 fairly soon after that. A few barre chords. And some scalar runs at position VII or similar.

My point is that a 10 minute demo that never goes above the third fret only shows the guitar's voice, playability, and intonation in a very limited way. I realize that many guitarists view this as their entire universe, but I sure don't, and I'm not alone.

Brian from the Musician's Friend demos is a really good player in this regard. He clearly has a jazz background in addition to his more traditional flat-top chops.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion