The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-15-2019, 11:26 AM

Default Help me choose from Godin family of guitars...

I have narrowed down my choices to the following, all discontinued I think, but hope to find some on the web: Seagull Maritime SWS Rosewood; Simon & Patrick Showcase Rosewood; Seagull Artist Studio QII; Norman ST 68. I chose these because I prefer spruce top and rosewood back and sides.

Also, I already have in my possession a Martin Sigma SDR 28, which is spruce and rosewood, and all solid wood. How would this compare to those guitars I listed above? Would you prefer to have this Sigma or one of the above?

Thanks so much to all who respond!
Old 12-15-2019, 11:58 AM

I'm somewhat of a Seagull fan, I suppose because I feel they represent such a great value when compared with the "big 3". Due to my location, I've only played Seagull models from Godin, although I would be fairly certain their other lines are similarly value rich. My experience indicates that Seagull does several things well: dreadnoughts, cedar tops, the S6 line, and their Artist line. I've got an S6 that was my first "real" guitar and I'll never let it go. I also have 3 of their Artist Series which, coincidentally are the only ones of the line I've played. I picked up one from my local shop (cedar/mahogany dread), one online from a dealer listed as B-stock (Studio Deluxe CW) and one locally on Craigslist (Cameo CW). These 3 have superior tone and play-ability (both new models did need good setup work in that regard) to match anything I've played elsewhere since I started playing seriously. The Studio Deluxe (I believe this is what you're looking at), if I had to pick, would be #1. I've played it beside Taylor and Martin guitars well over $4K and would not have traded. So, on paper I'd look in that direction. I'm not quite as big a fan of some of Seagull's smaller bodied guitars, and I also have not played enough of the SWS series to form a clear opinion.

I haven't played the Sigma you reference, although I have heard pretty good things about it. If possible, I'd A/B anything you're looking at against the Sigma.

Happy Hunting!

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 12-15-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed66 View Post
I'm somewhat of a Seagull fan, I suppose because I feel they represent such a great value when compared with the "big 3". Due to my location, I've only played Seagull models from Godin, although I would be fairly certain their other lines are similarly value rich. My experience indicates that Seagull does several things well: dreadnoughts, cedar tops, the S6 line, and their Artist line. I've got an S6 that was my first "real" guitar and I'll never let it go. I also have 3 of their Artist Series which, coincidentally are the only ones of the line I've played. I picked up one from my local shop (cedar/mahogany dread), one online from a dealer listed as B-stock (Studio Deluxe CW) and one locally on Craigslist (Cameo CW). These 3 have superior tone and play-ability (both new models did need good setup work in that regard) to match anything I've played elsewhere since I started playing seriously. The Studio Deluxe (I believe this is what you're looking at), if I had to pick, would be #1. I've played it beside Taylor and Martin guitars well over $4K and would not have traded. So, on paper I'd look in that direction. I'm not quite as big a fan of some of Seagull's smaller bodied guitars, and I also have not played enough of the SWS series to form a clear opinion.

I haven't played the Sigma you reference, although I have heard pretty good things about it. If possible, I'd A/B anything you're looking at against the Sigma.

Happy Hunting!
Thank you for your reply and the detailed information. Forgive me for being dense, but what does "A/B" mean?
Old 12-15-2019, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Forgive me for being dense, but what does "A/B" mean?
Compare one (‘A’) against another (‘B’).

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 12-15-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Compare one (‘A’) against another (‘B’).
Oh, okay. Thanks for that clarification. I would like to do that but will probably have to buy online so might not be able to compare them to the Sigma by actually playing them. I know it's something I need to do but don't know of any stores nearby that carry any of these guitars.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:40 PM

That's easy to understand - many of us are in the same situation. Try searching this forum, or just scan up and down the other threads since I think there is still another active discussion on buying online or without playing first. A good bit of information is available there.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 12-15-2019, 03:17 PM

The Studio Artist has 1.8 inch nut width--the others have 1.72.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed66 View Post
That's easy to understand - many of us are in the same situation. Try searching this forum, or just scan up and down the other threads since I think there is still another active discussion on buying online or without playing first. A good bit of information is available there.
Thanks for that helpful information.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdog View Post
The Studio Artist has 1.8 inch nut width--the others have 1.72.
I believe I would like the wider nut.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:06 PM

I know that the Seagull Artist Studio series and the Norman St 68 are those brands' top-tier models, whereas the Seagull Maritime SWS is a middle-tier model. Which of these tiers would a Martin Sigma SDR 28 all solid wood guitar correspond to? Would it be about the equivalent of a Maritime SWS in quality?
Old 12-15-2019, 08:24 PM

Which would be the better electronics system, the B Band A6T or Fishman Presys?
Old 12-15-2019, 10:58 PM

I know I'm posting a lot and asking a lot of questions, but this is a very important decision for me -- probably the last guitar I'll ever get.

Two more questions: Would the quality and tone of a Seagull Artist Studio or Norman ST68 be as much above a Seagull Maritime SWS so as to justify the extra cost? Also, if you already had a Sigma SDR 28 solid wood, would you trade it in or sell it to buy the aforementioned Seagull Artist or Norman?

Thanks again!
Old 12-16-2019, 02:14 PM

Can anyone offer any more opinions?
Old 12-16-2019, 02:25 PM

I recently picked up a used Simon and Patrick sp6 (spruce) in mint condition for a song and could not be happier. From what i have seen/heard is that many of the Godin line are basically identical but branded differently to allow stores to carry different brands. Good luck in your choice but as others have said tey out various guitars to see what you prefer. We are all different with different tastes and preferences...

Wayne
Old 12-16-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
I believe I would like the wider nut.
The 1.72 inch nut is spaced between the standard 1 11/16 nut and the Martin 1.75. Its pretty slick and lots of room. I cant tell the difference between a Martin 1.75 inch nut spacing and the Seagull 1.8. The Seagull has more room at the outside of the fret board. Other then the neck shape and the extra room on the sides it feels the same to me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion