The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-15-2019, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
I love my Felix too, and its features and sound quality are nothing but marvelous.
But for a three piece ensemble I would prefer the EA StompMix.
Thanks for mentioning the StompMix. I hadn't seen that before and think it could be really useful.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Smartest thing u ever did! The 'ol in and out! Just add speaker!
Yep! And it sounds great. I love that thing. I don't know what those pres do to the piezo honk, but they sure tame it.

Speaker, dry case with the whole solo rig in it, stands, backpack, and guitar all fit on the rock and roller cart.

If I'm duo-ing and running sound and playing more than one instrument, I'll bring my larger submix rig that I use with the band (which is now just a ToneBone PZpre for banjo and mando and a ToneBone PZ deluxe for the guitar all into the little Mackie mixer) and run sound right off my pedalboard.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredFelix View Post
@Midwinter & @ Rockabilly69,. What is it about the Allen and Heath that you like particularly over similar mixers? When I look at the Yamaha MG06, it seems to be similar apart from the effects. Is the Allen and Heath just notably better sound quality? (The Yamaha would also be useable potentially with a pedalboard power supply easier than the Allen and Heath, but maybe I wouldn't need a board with the Allen and Heath. Idk.)

Right now, I'm using 4 pedals. I like having an eq pedal available, but I'm not married to any of the four necessarily. I just find them useful.

@ guitarman68, that is solid advice. I probably should stick to a mixer with at least a little eq control. Thank you.
So I still have both.

I got the Yamaha for its size because it was going to be mounted on a pedalboard submix rig and I figured I would also use it for solo/duo jobs where I needed to be able to run sound right off the pedalboard. The effects were fine. The mixer is fine. Nothing special. Honestly? The only reason I replaced it with a little Mackie is that I thought it had developed a whine (turns out it was one of my Tonebone preamps—oh well).

I got the A&H when I decided to simplify the rig and I wasn't absolutely needing a "compact" mixer—in other words, I didn't really care if it fit on a pedalboard. I'd heard good things from @Rockabilly69 and I'd played through a few and liked them.

I don't know what it does, but the pres really tame any kind of piezo honk (I play a custom Breedlove American Series with a B-Band (also at @rockabilly69's recommendation) and there's a tiny bit of piezo-y honk that I usually tend to with an external preamp when playing with my band.

But now, for solo jobs?

Guitar > Tuner > A&H Zed6fx > QSC K8

Done. Sounds great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification