The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-10-2019, 02:33 PM

Default Adding Powered Speaker to Acoustic Amp

Hey ya'll I currently have an Acoustic A1000 acoustic combo amp. I'm looking to add a powered speaker to the acoustic setup and use the XLR out from the back of the A1000 to the speaker.

1. Do you guys have any recommendations for budget friendly powered speakers?

2. I see Guitar Center/ Musicians' Friend has Harbinger powered speakers. Are they any good?
Old 12-10-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeiscool42 View Post
Hey ya'll I currently have an Acoustic A1000 acoustic combo amp. I'm looking to add a powered speaker to the acoustic setup and use the XLR out from the back of the A1000 to the speaker.

1. Do you guys have any recommendations for budget friendly powered speakers?

2. I see Guitar Center/ Musicians' Friend has Harbinger powered speakers. Are they any good?
I had the Harbinger 15 2 models ago -- one with the somewhat rounded front grill. Great price. Decent weight. Sounded decent. I blew a high frequency driver in it. Easy enough to replace but it sounded awful with the blown driver -- no high end and muddy sound. I also have the model prior to that in a 12 and it still works 9 years later.

Not sure where your budget is, but there are lots of options. Some people claim the Behringers are awesome. Others disagree. Some people say the Altos are awesome. I'm not sure. Others swear by Mackie. I hear the newer Mackie stuff isn't as good as the older Mackie stuff.

My DXR10 is a beast. Very loud and clear. I bought it used. I abuse it and it keeps going and going.

Most will agree that QSC and Yamaha are good. I assume you're trying to get louder sound (than your amp) if that is the case, avoid Bose. Bose sound terrific, but are not budget friendly and from my personal experience they don't do loud so well.

If I was spending your $ I'd give the Behringers a try.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:40 PM

On a budget I'd look at Behringer.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:03 AM

Behringer MPA 40BT $227 Amazon
40 watts but gets really loud, 96.8 dB streaming Bluetooth music indoors-clear tone, next jump up to QSC CP 8 $400
and don't look back!
Old 12-12-2019, 11:44 PM

Keep an eye on "Stupid Deal Of The Day". Sometimes the 12" Harbinger comes on sale for around $120.00.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 12-13-2019, 06:57 AM

having been down this road more than once,... just a thought here...

Careful to not set high expectations on the sound quality you'll get from powered budget speakers.

I found a kustom power speaker on sale for about 100 bucks I figured, what the heck, lets try it. It's horrible. It works and there's not a problem at all with the functions, but it just sounds like total crapola.

When I had some cash, I bought a Bose S1 Pro. Of course, as to be expected, the difference was massive.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:13 PM

Default Alto Trouper

Hello: The Alto Trouper is really nice for the price and can act as a standalone personal / gig PA (actually what it was designed for). I used one for a few years just as you described: I use a Fishman, Loudbox Artist and ran the out XLR line to one of the 3 channels of the Alto. Placed the amp to my right and Alto on a pole to the L and slightly behind me - great combo.

A few times when I got lazy about bringing both, (in a small /medium venue) the Alto by itself worked fine. Since I also use a Play Acoustic pedal - that took care of guitar and vocal processing on the way in to the Alto. Having 3 channels gives you options for signal routing.

I experimented with using the Fishman as a stage monitor, and the Alto as my PA and actually that worked really well - because it let me hear close up, the nice guitar tone from the Fishman!

Charles

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification