The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-17-2017, 07:16 AM

Marcus, congratulations on your up coming new Michuad, that brazilian looks amazing even without finish! I will definitely follow this build!
2021 Buendia OMF Swiss Moon/BRW
2022 Isaac Jang OM
2023 Kraut OO
Old 04-18-2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard F. View Post
Marcus, congratulations on your up coming new Michuad, that brazilian looks amazing even without finish! I will definitely follow this build!
Hey Howard! Nice to see you on the forum, and thank you. Your Gaffney shall be one to follow as well

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-18-2017, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Hi Marcus, and congratulations! I don't visit here as frequently as I used to, but builds and threads like this are the reason I come back. I met Joel at Woodstock, and he was so easy to talk with, laid back and appreciative of anyone showing interest in his work. I played a couple of the guitars and could have easily taken any home. I really love how you're handling this, and from what we've seen so far, there's no way you could be disappointed in any of the possible outcomes. Thanks for sharing this somewhat secretive journey. Looking forward to watching how it all develops. And then will be anxious to hear a recording! What would be very nice would be to hear you play the same music on this and the "Tree" guitar so we can hear the differences between the two guitars.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 04-18-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Hi Marcus, and congratulations! I don't visit here as frequently as I used to, but builds and threads like this are the reason I come back. I met Joel at Woodstock, and he was so easy to talk with, laid back and appreciative of anyone showing interest in his work. I played a couple of the guitars and could have easily taken any home. I really love how you're handling this, and from what we've seen so far, there's no way you could be disappointed in any of the possible outcomes. Thanks for sharing this somewhat secretive journey. Looking forward to watching how it all develops. And then will be anxious to hear a recording! What would be very nice would be to hear you play the same music on this and the "Tree" guitar so we can hear the differences between the two guitars.
Hey Mike, thanks for stopping by I will try to do just that. My hope is to do a dry recording of both guitars in different playing styles to highlight the differences between them. There might be a third Michaud (and maybe a fourth. Possibly a fifth too?) in the picture for that recording session but that's another story for another day

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-20-2017, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Default In true Michaud form...

Joel, with a wink and a nod, will not reveal much...yet. I'm going to post a partial of the rosette and, as I alluded to, it doesn't show a whole lot. That said, I am privy to the entire design and Joel is going to do something I've not seen before and it is VERY cool. Until then,

Old 04-20-2017, 11:14 PM

First glimpse of the top I've seen. Thanks showing me almost nothing in those photos Josh the suspense is really starting to mount!!!!! really curious what this never before seen design could be

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

Last edited by Marcus Wong; 04-20-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:27 AM

I'm hoping it's a nautical theme, with starfish, mermaids and then a unicorn with pixie dust off to the side, maybe done in pink. Yeah, that sounds good and I am sure has not been done before Marcus...
Old 04-21-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I'm hoping it's a nautical theme, with starfish, mermaids and then a unicorn with pixie dust off to the side, maybe done in pink. Yeah, that sounds good and I am sure has not been done before Marcus...
Well.... I guess that makes two of us

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-21-2017, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Now that's a perfectly nice top, and I bet that joker Michaud is going to punch a big hole into it.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Now that's a perfectly nice top, and I bet that joker Michaud is going to punch a big hole into it.
And let all that sound escape?!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-21-2017, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
And let all that sound escape?!
I know, right?
Old 04-21-2017, 01:30 PM

Default "Lucky Tree" woes

Okay, don't mean to derail my own thread, but I didn't want to bring up another thread so here goes. I've had my "Lucky Tree" for nearly 2 years now, and it simply gets more and more resonant with each passing day, and I love it! Throughout these 2 years, my beloved has undergone multiple set ups, saddle changes, pick up installations, strap pin installation etc.

*warning - this is going to be quite a read, and it is just a silly story so don't feel obligated to read on*

So for about the past year or so... I've started to notice this odd change in timbre from my B string. It sounded like the string belonged to a different guitar. My first thought was that it was wolf notes emerging, but it was up and down the entire neck with the B string only, and not present in any of the other strings, which is REALLY odd. I then suspected it could be the saddle/nut, so I had those swapped out but it still didn't resolve the issue. I knew it had to be a physical issue of some sort introduced after the countless "operations" which somehow affected only a single string, but just could NOT figure it out! I went back and forth with Joel for the longest time ever (sorry if I caused you sleepless nights buddy!) but with no solution in sight. I had even considered it shipping back to Joel for him to find out what the issue was.

It wasn't a very big issue to be honest. Guitar still sounded amazing, but it just bugged me to no end that I could not figure out what was causing it. I eventually found some ways around that odd sound, by playing the B string with my index finger for example, which allows a different angle of attack which is more direct, making it sound like what it should sound like.

So... fast forward to today. I was practising "Tundra" by Will McNicol (great song and artist by the way, you should check it out -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czo1AsWGLdw), and it required an uncommon technique of muting the strings with your right hand and then plucking it right away. This technique requires you to move your picking finger from a parallel (muting) position to a perpendicular (plucking) position relative to the strings, and if you do not do that quickly enough, you end up with a diagonal picking position which results in a different sound due to the shallow angle of attack. And that was when I heard it... the odd sound that I kept hearing on my B string, but on the G string this time!! Baffled, I tried it a few more times, and there I heard it again. I quickly made the link... and sure enough, I looked down at my middle picking finger (which is in charge of plucking the B string), to see this:

To my horror, I realised that I have a deformed middle finger nail which curls inwards suddenly instead of a smooth curve, causing it to have a very small area of contact with the B string when I pluck it! This whole time I was thinking something was off with the guitar, but I was the one who was off!! I suspect that the deformity could have arisen from all the playing? I notice that my index and thumb nails too are on their way to such a formation too

I told Joel my sudden revelation and we had a pretty good laugh, so just thought I would share this silly little plight of mine that lasted a lot longer than it should have! I guess I have to look into getting artificial nails done now that there's nothing I can really do about the deformed nail. Open to suggestions (do drop me an e-mail) from anyone who has experience in getting acrylic/gellish nails done

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

Last edited by Marcus Wong; 04-21-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Back in the early 90s, I had the privilege of attending a Michael Hedges show in a very small and intimate venue, sitting so close that I could have reached out and strummed his guitar if I had dared. During the first ten minutes, he carried on a dialogue with us while he fashioned nails from ping pong balls, and stuck them onto his finger tips with super glue. He clipped and filed until he had them shaped exactly the way that he wanted them.....and then went on to blow my mind with his artistry. There has never been another guit(ar)tist who could reach inside my heart as deeply as Michael could.

Quote:
Okay, don't mean to derail my own thread, but I didn't want to bring up another thread so here goes. I've had my "Lucky Tree" for nearly 2 years now, and it simply gets more and more resonant with each passing day, and I love it! Throughout these 2 years, my beloved has undergone multiple set ups, saddle changes, pick up installations, strap pin installation etc.

*warning - this is going to be quite a read, and it is just a silly story so don't feel obligated to read on*

So for about the past year or so... I've started to notice this odd change in timbre from my B string. It sounded like the string belonged to a different guitar. My first thought was that it was wolf notes emerging, but it was up and down the entire neck with the B string only, and not present in any of the other strings, which is REALLY odd. I then suspected it could be the saddle/nut, so I had those swapped out but it still didn't resolve the issue. I knew it had to be a physical issue of some sort introduced after the countless "operations" which somehow affected only a single string, but just could NOT figure it out! I went back and forth with Joel for the longest time ever (sorry if I caused you sleepless nights buddy!) but with no solution in sight. I had even considered it shipping back to Joel for him to find out what the issue was.

It wasn't a very big issue to be honest. Guitar still sounded amazing, but it just bugged me to no end that I could not figure out what was causing it. I eventually found some ways around that odd sound, by playing the B string with my index finger for example, which allows a different angle of attack which is more direct, making it sound like what it should sound like.

So... fast forward to today. I was practising "Tundra" by Will McNicol (great song and artist by the way, you should check it out -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czo1AsWGLdw), and it required an uncommon technique of muting the strings with your right hand and then plucking it right away. This technique requires you to move your picking finger from a parallel (muting) position to a perpendicular (plucking) position relative to the strings, and if you do not do that quickly enough, you end up with a diagonal picking position which results in a different sound due to the shallow angle of attack. And that was when I heard it... the odd sound that I kept hearing on my B string, but on the G string this time!! Baffled, I tried it a few more times, and there I heard it again. I quickly made the link... and sure enough, I looked down at my middle picking finger (which is in charge of plucking the B string), to see this:

To my horror, I realised that I have a deformed middle finger nail which curls inwards suddenly instead of a smooth curve, causing it to have a very small area of contact with the B string when I pluck it! This whole time I was thinking something was off with the guitar, but I was the one who was off!! I suspect that the deformity could have arisen from all the playing? I notice that my index and thumb nails too are on their way to such a formation too

I told Joel my sudden revelation and we had a pretty good laugh, so just thought I would share this silly little plight of mine that lasted a lot longer than it should have! I guess I have to look into getting artificial nails done now that there's nothing I can really do about the deformed nail. Open to suggestions (do drop me an e-mail) from anyone who has experience in getting acrylic/gellish nails done

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 04-22-2017, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
To my horror, I realised that I have a deformed middle finger nail which curls inwards suddenly instead of a smooth curve
I have the same problem on i, m, a. Not the pinky, for some reason. It's... annoying.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:46 PM

My finger nail looks just like yours. Some finger. Annoying.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
build thread, joel michaud, michaud made, moon spruce