The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-07-2011, 08:12 PM

Default Running a passive piezo and a phantom powered mic signal through the same cable.

I'm currently using dual source system with a piezo mounted in the bridge and an Audio Technica Pro70 condenser microphone mounted externally. Each of these sources have a separate output, the piezo through a jack in the guitar end piece and the mic through a mini-xlr cable that is hanging loose from the external mic mount. The two signals are fed into a two channel AER Compact60 amp where I can adjust the individual levels. I'm using two separate cables to connect to the amp, a Jack/Jack and a mini-XLR/XLR, but this seems a bit cumbersome. So I'm wondering whether it would be possible to wire a single multicore cable to carry both signals, and have two connectors at either end. Maybe something with 4 cores and a shield; 1 core + shield for the piezo signal, and 3 cores for the microphone signal. Or simply, using the shield as a common ground for the two signals, if this is possible.

The microphone requires phantom power (9v-52v) which the microphone channel of the amp provides. Would this cause problems (e.g. crosstalk) when running a powered microphone signal along side a passive instrument signal?

What do you think? Is it possible?
Old 02-08-2011, 10:07 AM

It's neither technically advisable nor practically feasible to run a balanced low-Z mic signal together with an unbalanced high-Z piezo signal through a common screen. Forget it and think of a different internal mic or blending system.

Kev.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification