The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-13-2020, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

Does anybody remember old forums? If you do you understand why we need these rules and rules keepers.

Life blooms when existence is it's own reward.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDave View Post
Sorry, I just thought of something that just tickled my mind.

Most of you guys are around the same age era. There's significantly more oldies than youngens. What happens if it comes to the time that you all abruptly leave the Earth realm in a couple years apart? How will AGF survive?
These threads are getting overwhelming... but this one made me LOL way more than I probably should have.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:28 AM

For some reason, first thing that came to mind is the late great John Prine’s song: That’s how every empire falls.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:15 AM

I had to laugh because this forum is extremely unique and mostly comprised of a demographic that actually takes the time to express cumulative, cognitive thoughts with more than a few words and a gif or an emoji or some other form of vapid graphic.
Think about it, everything I just wrote is likely beyond the comprehension abilities of the “Snapchat” or “Instagram” generation.

The expected response to this statement from them would be the same as for most things... “what??”

No emoji permitted.

BTW...Facebook is still number one when it comes to self-aggrandizement, but Twitter has been coming on strong.
Fender Copperburst Telecaster.

“Some of life’s best lessons are learned at the worst times.”

Last edited by rokdog49; 08-14-2020 at 05:20 AM.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:26 AM

Young people look at old people and wonder how long it took to get old. Old people look at young people and remember Youth like it was yesterday. The AGF ages the same. Every question that could possibly be asked about a acoustic guitar has been asked and answered lots of times. New members show up and ask the same questions like it’s the first time. Life goes on. Kinda cool really.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 08-14-2020, 06:44 AM

Music has changed drastically in the last 40 years. I think one of the reasons that this forum has remained so vital is that for my generation (baby boomer) many of the most popular bands of the time (CSN&Y, Eagles, Doobie Bros) incorporated acoustics on their records and often times their concerts included acoustic sets. I grew up knowing what a D45 looked like and sounded like. As we've aged and acquired dispensable income, more of us can afford $3-4K for an instrument. When you're spending that kind of money, you like to consult with other players about it, which makes places like this valuable.

Since acoustic guitar is less prevalent in modern contemporary music, It's reasonable to expect the number of players and forum members to decline in the next couple of decades. I think that there will remain a small dedicated core for a long time to come. Just looking at bluegrass, it's an American genre that has a small but devout following in places as diverse as Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, and Japan. And there are some young and astoundingly talented artists practicing that craft now. So I'm sure things will change but I'm optimistic acoustic music is going to be around for a long time.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Somewhere, an AGF member has a working 8 track and the tapes to go with it,

How about a laserdisc player, and discs’a’plenty?
2019 Emerald X20-7
Old 08-14-2020, 07:40 AM

For some reason this thread brings this to my mind...

Old 08-14-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Somewhere, an AGF member has a working 8 track and the tapes to go with it,

8 track, what's that?

I need a new gramophone for my 78s.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:18 AM
Guitar Gourmet

An anecdote: I frequent a Steel Guitar Forum. While there, I began to discern that a really large percentage of the forumites are in their late 70s to 80s. Death notices of members happen every week. Terminal conditions are reported pretty often as well. A few observations:

1. You wouldn't know the ages of the participants if these folks weren't telling you them. Many still have vibrant minds, great senses of humor, and a LOT of information.

2. There is a cadre' of younger members coming up behind and soaking the older ones for every bit of info they can get their hands on.

3. Of course we, the younger ones on that forum, are middle aged. Our respect for the hard-won knowledge of our seniors is kind of automatic, baked in. However, in the some of the younger generations, the concept of understanding that length of life breeds experience seems to have been lost and replaced by the dismissive "OK, Boomer" mindset. I'm afraid it is their loss.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM
Old 08-14-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
3. Of course we, the younger ones on that forum, are middle aged. Our respect for the hard-won knowledge of our seniors is kind of automatic, baked in. However, in the some of the younger generations, the concept of understanding that length of life breeds experience seems to have been lost and replaced by the dismissive "OK, Boomer" mindset. I'm afraid it is their loss.

Bob
On the other hand, I know some of my contemporaries that assume they are right, just because they're older. It seems that as they age, they can no longer learn new things, new perspectives, etc yet they are always correct. Heck, I've even thought "OK, Boomer" in response to some of their comments.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:34 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
On the other hand, I know some of my contemporaries that assume they are right, just because they're older. It seems that as they age, they can no longer learn new things, new perspectives, etc yet they are always correct. Heck, I've even thought "OK, Boomer" in response to some of their comments.
It is not necessary that you agree with everything that comes from another person's mouth in order to learn from him.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM
Old 08-14-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
It is not necessary that you agree with everything that comes from another person's mouth in order to learn from him.

Bob
I completely agree with you. I didn't mean that, if that's how it came across.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:26 PM

I'm not too surprised that younger people don't want to be in the same groups that older folks are in - that's the way of the world. I loved and respected my parents, for example, but I never wanted to be just like them or their friends. I wished I had a couple of my mom's attributes, and a couple of my dad's, but everything else they did was their thing. But I hope I can look back someday from the Great Beyond and find this place thriving.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Get off my lawn!

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic