The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-13-2020, 09:00 PM

Oh the timing... My wife and I rescue dogs, mostly Border Collies and mixes thereof. In my 66 years I've had about twelve. Usually two of them are down in the studio with me while I practice. I looked up today to a Native American rug that I have hanging against the wall to kind of deaden the sound reflection and brighten the room. All along the bottom edge there was black hair from one of my "bossies", (Border Collie/Aussie Shepard mixes), who sleeps behind a chair in the corner. It was an excuse for a good vacuum of the area but it made me think of all the times they are lying around on cords and such and giving me that "what?" look when I ask them not to lay on the pedalboard. I wouldn't have it any other way.

-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 08-13-2020, 09:01 PM

If we are going to be worried about pet odor getting into or on a guitar, how about fireplace smoke and odor. I have a real fireplace that burns wood and though its dampered well the smell does get into the house some and we love it. I think this is stronger than any pet smell unless the pet relieved itself on a guitar or case. Thats tough to hide.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:35 PM

I would not let pet ownership dissuade
Me from a purchase. I love animals.
More so than most people..
Of course if the quitar smells like cat pee
That's another issue.
I think ads should read " came from a
Smoke free banjo free house...
Old 08-14-2020, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post

I think ads should read " came from a

Smoke free banjo free house...

[emoji1787]
Old 08-14-2020, 03:45 AM

I can understand the allergy aspect - my wife and son suffer terribly from their allergy to horses so I could never buy a guitar from a cowboy.

I can also understand that being a dog lover doesn't make everybody else a dog lover and some people might justifiably have concerns.

As for dogs, we have two (down from four) and all I can say is if we didn't have dogs I would never have an audience.....

....and it's a goo job I don't sell my guitars......

Millie in the case.....

and Millie out of the case...

YouTube
Old 08-14-2020, 03:53 AM
Charter Member

This is a GREAT thread. Love all the pics! Have to agree with a fellow poster—much more concerned with the smell of some people, than their dogs!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DE11C275-0DDB-4AC2-8D53-75618BDAFD60.jpg (37.7 KB, 72 views)
Old 08-14-2020, 05:08 AM
Guitar Gourmet

With a guitar that's been in a house with big dogs, I'd be worried about the top braces. Let me explain. Labrador retriever Boo! (r) weighs about 120lbs. and Zoe' (l) about 80lbs.

They are extremely happy critters. If you've ever been in their presence of this pair you've been hit by a wagging tail and you'd swear that those tails weigh 30lbs. alone and that the dog's strongest muscles are the ones that animate the tails. These dogs are a good part of the reason why I can't leave a guitar out on a stand. I'd be paying for repairs continually.

"YAHOO! Daddy is home!!! Woof! Woof! Woof!"

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-14-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay7347 View Post
Oh the timing... My wife and I rescue dogs, mostly Border Collies and mixes thereof. In my 66 years I've had about twelve. Usually two of them are down in the studio with me while I practice. I looked up today to a Native American rug that I have hanging against the wall to kind of deaden the sound reflection and brighten the room. All along the bottom edge there was black hair from one of my "bossies", (Border Collie/Aussie Shepard mixes), who sleeps behind a chair in the corner. It was an excuse for a good vacuum of the area but it made me think of all the times they are lying around on cords and such and giving me that "what?" look when I ask them not to lay on the pedalboard. I wouldn't have it any other way.

-jay
I used to take in dogs when the local shelter was filled up. Funny how those couple of weeks I was supposed to care for them turned in years. And you ain't lived until you have trained a deaf dog to respond to a flashlight. I also had a street dog who everybody in the neighborhood thought was vicious and whom had eluded capture for over a year all of a sudden decide to move in with me. But it was a border collie which broke me. Not only was he smarter than me but obsessive as all get out. And he herded everything he came across which did not exactly go over well with other dogs. That dog was a lot of work so my hat is off to you.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Full disclosure! I believe that compressed air will take care of any detritus from Koal's constant shedding. If a buyer thinks they can smell him on one of my new guitars, I will politely keep it to myself that I think they need psychiatric evaluation.

Old 08-14-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

"YAHOO! Daddy is home!!! Woof! Woof! Woof!"

Bob
Many times, the best part of my day is the greeting from my pack when I get home.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
I love animals, but unfortunately I have severe allergies to pet dander, fur and many different odors (not to mention several food allergies). Consequently I always list "smoke free, pet free home" in my FS ads and always ask before buying used.

I never intend to offend anyone, I just want to protect those in a similar situation.
That is not at all uncommon. I find more folks allergic to cats than dogs, but both happen.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:11 PM

When I see pet free in the description I think “great, no dog created chips, scratches, etc.”. I love dogs! Many years ago one knocked over one of my ukes and the fall put some scratches on the heal. About two months ago our two dogs ripped around the house and eventually in their 15 minute chase routine bonked into a classical I propped up on the futon for a minute...nice 3 inch scratch on the top near the soundhole.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitartanzon View Post
My wife and I raised Seeing eye dog pups, then after 18 months we have to give them up to go to Guide Dog Training School and be trained as seeing eye dog.

Every pup we had loved standing by me when playing guitar. Never had a problem with chewies or damage. They just lied down and seemed to listen, and chill out. Labs do not have much odor, but they do shed a lot.

Here is picture of our last pup, River, now in training. Miss her terribly, we loved that girl a lot. She was very special. Also our last one we will do, since I am 67 and have back issues now.

I even wrote an Article about her in for a local magazine

https://www.ameliaislander.com/2020/...es-in-training
That is one beautiful Lab. What about just getting a lab and keeping it as a pet?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion