The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-06-2024, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlhunt View Post
Tom, this guitar turned out awesome! I love that you went with the asymmetrical set of Brazilian Rosewood. It is a truly unique and special guitar and it sounds wonderful. I hope to get to see it and play it in September. Congratulations!

Jim
Thank you and I hope you can come to play it also!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Fabulous guitar and a wonderful back story--congrats, my friend!
Thank you fine sir, hope all is going well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Summer of 2024. Looking forward to joining the club.
Hey, that is this year! Won't be long now! We will get to teach you the secret handshake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
Congrats Tom and Ben beautiful guitar and an even better story to go with it.

The Nautilus I played at the first B.I.G. I attended blew me away I'm sure they have only gone forward from there.
Thank you very much. According to Ben they have gotten even better, hard for me to believe as the first production Nautilus in my room is pretty darned good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Many congrats, Tom!
Thank you and thanks for checking it out!
Old 01-06-2024, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilbornGuitars View Post
I pretty much stayed out of this thread because I didn't know how to field all the incredibly nice things that were being said. I blush to read it all. So I will just say thank you to everyone who posted, or just looked on from the wings. And an extra big thank you to Tom, who has been such an outstanding client, patron and friend. Thank you for the commission and for doing this thread. This was a really enjoyable and meaningful journey, and of course nothing could be finer for me than to have a happy guitarist at the end of the trail. Happy New Year, all.
Yeah, probably best you stayed away for the most part, over-exposure might have led to the truth about you getting out!

All kidding aside, Mr. Wilborn is a very humble fella, so he's got that goin for him!

Hanging out and making new friends:

nautilus 123.jpg

Last edited by TomB'sox; 01-06-2024 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-16-2024, 04:00 PM

The guitar continues to open up and impress. Very happy with ole' asymmetric.
Old 01-16-2024, 06:16 PM

What a beauty, Tom!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 01-16-2024, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Yeah, probably best you stayed away for the most part, over-exposure might have led to the truth about you getting out!

All kidding aside, Mr. Wilborn is a very humble fella, so he's got that goin for him!

Attachment 102484
Do you have a wider angle shot of that guitar room/wall Tom?
If you're going to post up drool worthy photos like that, you might as well go all the way!!!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 01-16-2024, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
What a beauty, Tom!!
Thank you sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Do you have a wider angle shot of that guitar room/wall Tom?
If you're going to post up drool worthy photos like that, you might as well go all the way!!!
I do, but I hesitate to post it, but come on up to the Northern Hemisphere and see it in person this Sept!
Old 01-18-2024, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I do, but I hesitate to post it, but come on up to the Northern Hemisphere and see it in person this Sept!
Yeah, I get it. I've gone through so many of your builds here, I can just imagine what a heaven it must be!
Powerball didn't come through for me last night like it was supposed to, so we'll see what the numbers are like next week!!!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 01-19-2024, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank you sir.

I’ve got a permanent mental image in my mind!! With Tony McManus playing Bach on one of your beauties on a Sunday morning for 30 minutes…!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 01-19-2024, 06:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

I wanted to get a look at the finished pics of this guitar. Starting from the last page, it took me about five minutes of scrolling through all the nice responses to finally see a picture of this thing, about seven pages back in. I now understand why. While flat sawn, that Brazilian is beautiful and unique, and made even better by the fact that flat sawn Brazilian is something you do not commonly see from a maker of this caliber, it's usually quarter sawn. I have to say, I really like the silking on that beautiful Sitka top also, truly stunning!, congratulations.
Old 01-20-2024, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck7 View Post
I’ve got a permanent mental image in my mind!! With Tony McManus playing Bach on one of your beauties on a Sunday morning for 30 minutes…!
Yes sir, he was on a Bach kick that year and I think he was trying to play em all that weekend, LOL, simply amazing to have the Tony McManus just sitting around the house playing Bach and hanging out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kraus View Post
I wanted to get a look at the finished pics of this guitar. Starting from the last page, it took me about five minutes of scrolling through all the nice responses to finally see a picture of this thing, about seven pages back in. I now understand why. While flat sawn, that Brazilian is beautiful and unique, and made even better by the fact that flat sawn Brazilian is something you do not commonly see from a maker of this caliber, it's usually quarter sawn. I have to say, I really like the silking on that beautiful Sitka top also, truly stunning!, congratulations.
Thank you Bill. That BRW certainly is not for everyone, but it is for me! I love it. Ben said it was very solid wood and he bought it originally, so he must of seen or heard something there. The top is stunning. I will post another pic so it is here closer to the end of the thread.

nautilus 120.jpg

nautilus 118.jpg

Surrounded by friends.

nautilus 123.jpg
Old 01-20-2024, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, man. Ben's guitars keep getting better and better. The last one that was at Dream Guitars was a real showstopper.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 01-21-2024, 07:56 AM

Quote:

Attachment 102484
Gosh, what a pretty guitar and collection, TomB'sox!
Ibanez: 1980 AW-75 (Owari Asahi), 1982 M310 Maple series, 2012 AWS1000ECE Artwood Studio (MIC)
Favilla: ~1960 C-5 classical (NYC)
Old 01-21-2024, 06:23 PM

Talking Nice!

Love BRW myself but only played one.

I love how the cut away came together with the sides. The sap wood makes a wrap around design. No one will have another quite like that.

Looking to get my 2nd steel string. Easier said than done. There are so many interesting guitars out there it's hard to decide on just one.

Congrats.

Quote:
Yes sir, he was on a Bach kick that year and I think he was trying to play em all that weekend, LOL, simply amazing to have the Tony McManus just sitting around the house playing Bach and hanging out!

Thank you Bill. That BRW certainly is not for everyone, but it is for me! I love it. Ben said it was very solid wood and he bought it originally, so he must of seen or heard something there. The top is stunning. I will post another pic so it is here closer to the end of the thread.

Attachment 103158

Attachment 103159

Surrounded by friends.

Attachment 103160
Don Musser OM Brazilian Rosewood/ Colorado Engelman (Private Blue Spruce) #324 8/18/2015
Manuel Rodriguez Classicals:
FC: IR/Ced, E: IR/Ger Spr, E:Madagascar Rose 2ply/Ced
Kremona Romida RD-S Classical EIR/Eur Spruce
Maya C115 Japan
Old 01-22-2024, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
Congrats, man. Ben's guitars keep getting better and better. The last one that was at Dream Guitars was a real showstopper.
I hope you got a chance to try it as I know it went out the door pretty fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazmo View Post
Gosh, what a pretty guitar and collection, TomB'sox!
Thank you for your kind words, I do have some nice stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe View Post
Love BRW myself but only played one.

I love how the cut away came together with the sides. The sap wood makes a wrap around design. No one will have another quite like that.

Looking to get my 2nd steel string. Easier said than done. There are so many interesting guitars out there it's hard to decide on just one.

Congrats.
The sapwood match was even more amazing before the binding, but that had to go in and break it up a little. He matched it up perfectly. There is a picture back in the thread showing that I think, before the binding, but maybe not.
Old 01-22-2024, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

I hope I get to play it next fall. I'll bring my Nautilus for you to play. Also maybe some other guitars. Since I drive from home each day, I can bring a variety...

What a gorgeous guitar, and kudos to you for embracing an asymmetrical design. As guitarists we tend to revere what came before, and here you are going forward (also Ben) with something new!

Al

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop