The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-21-2018, 02:37 AM

Default A Test Track With Tonedexter and Boss VE8

A song for the boaties.....

Here is a test tack of a number of items.....a pop ballad from the 70s by Glenn Shorrock that I played on my Lowden S35. And not one of my blues notes in sight....

There is no mic on the guitar - it is the guitar's pickup run through my Tonedexter (Character knob at 3am) No reverb on the guitar, eq flat. There is no backing vocalist - it is Robbie Robot from the harmony section of my Boss VE8. (reverb and delay on Boss using Shure SM58)

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/coolchange-lwd-td77

BluesKing777.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

Nice tone. What is the pickup?
Old 06-21-2018, 07:01 AM

Sorry, meant to mention it has a K&K Mini pickup. Great match for TD’ing!

I have another old Lowden that had a weirdo pickup when I bought it and that can go and all the bits and battery and stuff....and a nice little K&K Mini can go in...did I say I was pleased with this current one?

BluesKing777.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:05 PM

forgot a photo!

1993 Lowden S35"

BluesKing777.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:28 PM

That sounds like a nice genuine acoustic tone to me bluesking. Wouldn’t have known it wasn’t miked.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:03 PM

Thanks Bob!

It is insane the more you listen! Thanks TD!

I think back to the stick-on Barcus B pickup I was told would solve my Dobro mic problem all those years ago..... Did it make it all worse? Sure didn’t sound like my Dobro anymore! And it looked horrible with the gaffa tape sticking leads down on my shiny metal Dobro! Eek! All I needed to do was turn down the mic level a bit, foldback down or even off.....

Now, ha ha! (And I have a great TD wavemap for my Dobro, to boot!)

BluesKing777.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:02 AM

Default A Test Track With Tonedexter and Boss VE8

I guessing that you must have tried the VE-8 body resonance feature before you decided to buy the Tonedexter. What is your opinion of it in comparison? I now that the VE-8 body resonance effect is made with a under saddle Fishman type piezo in mind rather than a K&K, so that would probably make it worse for you than it might be for others with stock pickups.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I guessing that you must have tried the VE-8 body resonance feature before you decided to buy the Tonedexter. What is your opinion of it in comparison? I now that the VE-8 body resonance effect is made with a under saddle Fishman type piezo in mind rather than a K&K, so that would probably make it worse for you than it might be for others with stock pickups.

Yeah, that knob got tried for a few days/weeks and has been left OFF ever since - if it was a stand alone box, it would be lying on its side in a pile of ‘about to leave items’. I had better options, even before Tonedexter - my Aura Spectrum DI, my Martin with in built Aura, and my Maton with dual source pickup.
At first I thought the Acoustic Resonance knob might be handy by keeping everything in one unit, but.....nope.

The other Boss VE8 features well and truly make up for it, to me anyway.....sep effects and controls for guitar and vocal.

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification