The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-21-2018, 07:02 AM

Talking Bose S1 or QSC K8.2?

So...
I'm looking into some portable solutions.
Read tons of pages.
And these 2 seems to be pretty close to what I want.
Main use will be for acoustic guitar only (fingerpicking, dual source mic+pickup).
Home practice, small and/or quiet presentations, maybe for busking, maybe as a monitor for bigger settings, maybe for listening to music and such.

Bose S1
I like how small it is...
Won't draw much attention.
Easier to carry and setup.
Has a battery compartment.
Supposedly made for acoustic guitar (and other things).
Don't like how it only have 2 eq bands (may be supressed with the presets though?).
Maybe wont survive for a decade?

QSC K8.2
I like how it has internal eq with parametric mids and savable presets.
Seems really durable (probably will survive for a decade with the abs).
Seems really powerful (don't want to make anyone deaf...).
"Upgradable"
Don't like that it has almost double the size and weight, even though it still is in the "portable" realm, doesn't seem that it would be easy to carry and setup.
Is it usable on the floor or on a table?
Don't have a battery compartment.

So which one should I choose and why?
Old 02-21-2018, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Both high quality units so no real way to go wrong. I use to own a pair of QSC K8's and found them to be really nice. I just bought and S1 and so far I'm very impressed with both the guitar & vocals through it. I will say it will probably not get as loud as the K8 will.

It's like most BOSE stuff of late where it's not a beamy type projection. It tends to spread the sound around which can be good and bad depending on the gig. I play mostly Takamine Pro series guitars live with Cool Tube Preamps and also a Magnetic soundhole pickup blended in. I have a tone of EQ right at my finger tips so EQ combined with what the S1 provides is not an issue. If however you don't have some kind of EQ on guitar or from a preamp you may find the S1's 2 bands not enough. The tonematch setting as far as I can tell is helpful but not really necessary to achieve a good tone.

Best of luck to you!
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 02-21-2018, 08:38 AM

EV ZxA1 is an alternative to the K8 to consider in the same class. Can be used as a floor monitor in a bigger system, or for FOH. Weighs 19 lbs, compared to 27 lbs for the K8, less expensive, great sound. 126 db max spl output for the EV, 127 db for the K8, so an inconsequential difference in loudness potential. Not battery-powered, however.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindellama View Post
So...
I'm looking into some portable solutions/

Home practice, small and/or quiet presentations, maybe for busking, maybe as a monitor for bigger settings, maybe for listening to music and such.
2 completely different units... Apples and Oranges.

The QSC is Pro gear all the way and is more robust for sure...Plus it will get much louder.

But what you wrote and I highlighted above really are the best reasons to buy the Bose. It's really amazing sound for it's size and portability!

With that said... I love my S1 Pro... I have used it every day since I bought it (the day it came out).

The cool thing on the S1 is it's easy to setup... It excels in the sound at lower to mid volume level needs.

It sounds great in all the different positions, ground, tilted, as a stage monitor, table top and on a pole stand too. The built in auto EQ does a great job.

My guitar and mic sound VERY good plugged straight in. But I do enjoy a little more tone shaping and at most venues I would have external power. So hooking up a small mixer, effects pedal is not an issue.

But if It were a pure battery ops situation, busking or out on patio or intimate outdoor event, I'd be fine straight in. Audio from my Ipad or CD player sounds terrific too...

Hope this helps... The Bose is all about ease of setup and portability. Battery Operation for small venue, practicing, busking.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:04 AM

Qsc makes great stuff. More power means
better quality of sound at a lower volume.
It won't be loud unless you turn it up.
But it will sound good at lower vol.
but the volume will be there when you need it.
From what ive read here about the bose is
that any room over 30-40 people it just doesnt cut it volume wise.
The qsc will last longer. It's just better made

Last edited by varmonter; 02-22-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

I would think that the main advantage the Bose will have over the QSC is in the dispersion of sound, evenly, throughout the venue... QSC speakers have decent dispersion, but they can't touch the Bose stuff in that regard...

My experience with QSC speakers (the newer smaller ones, the K series?) is that they can sound really nice, provided you are in the "sweet spot"; once you leave that sweet spot, there's going to be volume and tone drop-off... with the Bose stuff, EVERYWHERE in the room is the "sweet spot"!

Admittedly, I haven't used the S1 Pro; I'm basing my remarks on the coverage of the Bose L1 units, from the Model II down to the Compact. Based on what I've heard so far, and all the comments made (both here and over at The Bose Forum), the little S1 spreads the sound remarkably well for what it is...

I wouldn't be too concerned with only having limited tone controls... with a good pickup n your guitar, you shouldn't need much, if any, eq'ing to get a great sound.

Of course, the BEST thing to do would be to go somewhere and take YOUR guitar and YOUR mic, and play through each unit. Heck, you're looking at spending a fair amount of change on one of these; you may as well be sure that you get what you want, what works for you! Music equipment retailers are generally very accommodating with this point when presented clearly....

Let us know what you get, and how it works for you!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 02-21-2018, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

I run a K&K pickup. The Bose has no "mid" eq which would be a serious issue for me since I have yet to meet a K&K pickup that didn't need a mid cut.

Steve
Old 02-21-2018, 01:37 PM

I picked up and looked at the S1 for about 10 minutes at NAMM just after listening to the demos and I think there is far too much of a talking point made out of claims of lack of durability that would immediately disappear if others took the time to look at them as well. It doesn't matter that they're not built as robustly as their 50 pounder counterparts, because they're built well enough for something that weighs 20 lbs.

I've got no interest in using one at work every night, but after handling one and hearing it in usage, I'm considering buying one just for those times there is no space or no power. Great tool for the kit is how I would be approaching it and there's no reason that someone with space/volume constraints couldn't be using one of them every night.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 02-21-2018, 01:53 PM

If you don't need the battery power, QSC all day long.

hunter
Old 02-21-2018, 02:03 PM

I own the S1 Pro. However, I would advise anyone looking for a professional PA system that is flat response and versatile to get the QSC K8.2. The S1 is an acoustic amp (think loudbox mini) replacement, not really a PA solution, in my opinion.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I own the S1 Pro. However, I would advise anyone looking for a professional PA system that is flat response and versatile to get the QSC K8.2. The S1 is an acoustic amp (think loudbox mini) replacement, not really a PA solution, in my opinion.
Exactly.. There is no comparison between the QSC K series and the Bose S1 Pro.

But again, the OP's words were "Home practice, small and/or quiet presentations, maybe for busking, maybe as a monitor for bigger settings, maybe for listening to music and such."

Either one could work well ...
Each with slightly different pros and cons.

Last edited by JakeStone; 02-21-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Exactly.. There is no comparison between the QSC K series and the Bose S1 Pro.

Either one could work well ...
Each with slightly different pros and cons.
Bingo. Don't want a sports car for hauling gear and you don't want a semi rig for the Autobahn.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 02-21-2018, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
I run a K&K pickup. The Bose has no "mid" eq which would be a serious issue for me since I have yet to meet a K&K pickup that didn't need a mid cut.

Steve
I agree. I have to run the mid knob with my K&K's at about 9:00 and boost the treble slightly on my Compact 60 to get an adequately flat response. But I wonder if I could get reasonably close to that mid-scoop just by turning up the bass and treble controls on the S1.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
Bingo. Don't want a sports car for hauling gear and you don't want a semi rig for the Autobahn.
But then a rig on the Autobahn might just get things done faster... But then I was only on it in a Beemer sedan 46 years ago.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-21-2018, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdog49 View Post
I agree. I have to run the mid knob with my K&K's at about 9:00 and boost the treble slightly on my Compact 60 to get an adequately flat response. But I wonder if I could get reasonably close to that mid-scoop just by turning up the bass and treble controls on the S1.
I would sure think that boosting the bass and treble would give you the same results as cutting back the mids. I have a Taylor T5 and that is exactly how you handle it with the bass and treble knobs; then adjust volume accordingly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification