The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-04-2017, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Default Need help pricing a Telecaster

Fender Telecaster American Special. Cream w/ a black pickguard. Excellent condition. I don't have a case or a box, so this will be a local sale and priced accordingly. I've always tried to price my guitars so they move quickly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Martin D-18, OM-18GE, 000-18GE 12-Fret
Huss & Dalton Crossroads DS
Santa Cruz 1929-00
Nash T-52
Fender Mustang Bass, P Bass, J Bass
Old 11-04-2017, 04:48 PM

check ebay sold listings as well as reverb. that will give you a good idea.

good luck with your sale.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 11-04-2017, 07:51 PM

Speaking for myself, I'd be looking to pay about 50-65% of retail (not MSRP) for a more common model electric guitar. Above that, and I might as well avoid the vagaries of buying used and get a warranty. I'd go higher for unusual/attractive appearance/features, factory hard case, etc., and lower for bumps/bruises, and mods other than higher quality pickups/electronics (with originals included).

So, an American Telecaster Special without a case and no mods that I can find retail all over town for $999 and can get 15-20% knocked off of from a zzounds or similar (meaning $800-850 or so shipped) with just a phone call, I'd be willing to go up to $500 for, assuming no appearance or functionality issues.

That said, I happily went to $640 for my '93 Wine Red /Gold Hardware LP Studio that I probably could find in a pawn shop for $400-450, just because it was cool, funky, intact, unmolested, and unlike the new stuff which I don't like as much. 9.4 pounds of bliss, that one.

Just my approach to the hobby, and I'm likely an extreme example of what you'd run into, but there you are.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

ChrisN, Thanks for the helpful and thorough analysis. And muscmp, thanks for pointing me to Reverb.

Taking everything into account, I'll be pricing it at $550.

Martin D-18, OM-18GE, 000-18GE 12-Fret
Huss & Dalton Crossroads DS
Santa Cruz 1929-00
Nash T-52
Fender Mustang Bass, P Bass, J Bass
Old 11-05-2017, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bix58 View Post
ChrisN, Thanks for the helpful and thorough analysis. And muscmp, thanks for pointing me to Reverb.

Taking everything into account, I'll be pricing it at $550.
$550 seems very reasonable, and it will likely move in a reasonable amount of time at that price. FYI, here's Reverb's price guide page for this model.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 11-05-2017, 10:33 AM

I agree with Ed.

I also wholeheartedly recommend reverb.com. I've bought/sold on there - nothing but good experiences. If you ship through them (I do), you do so via UPS on their account, which is significantly discounted from retail UPS prices, which is nice. They issue the label, you print and ship, they send the tracking info to the buyer. In the event of a return, you can also ship via their account.

Whether to do so is up to you, but I also include shipping in my price (it costs about $50 send a guitar across the country), as I think it facilitates the decision to purchase. The other school of thought is that showing a lower initial price (not including shipping) gets you more economy-minded eyes looking for a bargain. I might do it differently with a less popular guitar, but there are a LOT of Telecasters on reverb, so $550 plus $50 shipping may get you better results than $600 shipped. I also accept Offers, but would think you'd be OK if someone came in at $500 - that's where I'd hold the line, in your place, at least for a month or so.

Consider your "Shop"'s policies re: returns, inspections, etc. Lots of potential for problems with the wrong buyer (though less potential for problems with an electric, than an acoustic). I offer a 3-day inspection, return at their expense if they don't like an ACOUSTIC (due to subjective tone issue and sight-unseen) for any reason, but offer returns (my expense) on an ELECTRIC only if the guitar is not as described. Reverb handles any disputes very professionally, from what I'm told. If their other customer service is an indication, that's likely true.

Good luck!
Old 11-05-2017, 12:29 PM

At $550, people will be wondering "where's the gig bag that comes with it?" however.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars