The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytone View Post
Well...Since Captain Jim gave us permission to "wander around", this brings me to my reminisce's of Bar Harbor Maine...
In the mid 80s My Search & Rescue Dog (and I) attended a wilderness and water rescue class there..."Moose" was enthralled with his first taste of saltwater and discovered that he could find people under water...(Divers for training)...
In his illustrious career he found many "lost souls" from 8 feet down to 97 feet down, (verified by Divers the next day, 20 feet from where we threw out the buoy)...all in freshwater...
I still remember my fascination with the "Fresnal Lens" in the only lighthouse that this landlubber has ever seen...sigh...
HEY!!! The good Captain said we could "wander around" didn't He??? LOL
Now back to Carbon Fiber Soulmates...
No photos of Moose the rescue dog??
Old 07-20-2017, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Hi DHart and welcome aboard! Pretty Eastman. Nice coach. Good looking dogs. OK, that covers all the "non-CF" stuff.

John (jdinco) said it well. I am a strummer, and find both the X7 and the X20 are a delight. They both have great ergonomics, but different "personalities." The X7 is small and intimate. It can kick when it needs to. Yes, I brought it because of the size and partly because it is a good "fit" for the sound in our smaller motorhome.

The X20 is bigger. Louder. Richer tone. More bass. A rumble in the body (while holding it) unlike any other guitar I own. Yes, it can be played quietly... but that would be like driving a Porsche 45 mph all the time.

The title to this thread, "Sophie's Choice", was just that: an inner turmoil about which guitar to bring. Really, I love 'em both.

If I was told I could only have one guitar for the rest of my life, I'd say... heck with that - I want BOTH of these!

If I were playing out, the X20 would be "the one." For this RV outing, it's the X7. Both are great guitars, and both do what they do nicely.

Now, that is from a strummer/picker perspective. For fingerstyle playing, I would think the X20 to be a great choice. Or, both.

CF isn't just for traveling... but, I don't take wood guitars with me anymore.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

OK, one more "not much about the guitar" post...

Another day on the bikes:

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2017/07...this-post.html

Early on in today's ride, I did a splat... well, a relatively slow motion crash. My knee left some blood on the trail, but nothing significant. Although, when we got home, I find the little finger on my left hand is feeling stiff more than the knee. I may (gasp!) take a day or two off from playing the X7. Takes longer to heal these days.

A friend asked, "Is that swollen?"

"No, chubby."

The Blonde said, "It's just the angle on that photo." She's sweet like that.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Dhart, if you don't connect with jdinco, be aware that the Sam Ash store in Glendale has always had at least two Rainsong CF guitars in stock every time I've been in there.

When I make the trip south to visit MIL in Sun City come October (once temperatures get back down to only ridiculous levels!) my Lucky 13 and possibly my WS-1000 will come along. Once I have the trip actually scheduled, I will post a thread here and maybe we can organize an Arizona Carbon Fest. I won't yet have my X20-12 by then or else it would come too.

And yes, that is a stunning figured mahogany Eastman!

PS: "Colt" and "Kimber" - I get the reference.
Thanks for the info, Earl. I will venture over the Sam Ash and see what they've got.

An Arizona Carbon fest would be fun!

Yes, some folks 'get it' and a kick (pardon the pun!) out of our pups names. We enjoy that with them.

Last edited by DHart; 08-05-2017 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Hi DHart and welcome aboard! Pretty Eastman. Nice coach. Good looking dogs. OK, that covers all the "non-CF" stuff.

John (jdinco) said it well. I am a strummer, and find both the X7 and the X20 are a delight. They both have great ergonomics, but different "personalities." The X7 is small and intimate. It can kick when it needs to. Yes, I brought it because of the size and partly because it is a good "fit" for the sound in our smaller motorhome.

The X20 is bigger. Louder. Richer tone. More bass. A rumble in the body (while holding it) unlike any other guitar I own. Yes, it can be played quietly... but that would be like driving a Porsche 45 mph all the time.

The title to this thread, "Sophie's Choice", was just that: an inner turmoil about which guitar to bring. Really, I love 'em both.

If I was told I could only have one guitar for the rest of my life, I'd say... heck with that - I want BOTH of these!

If I were playing out, the X20 would be "the one." For this RV outing, it's the X7. Both are great guitars, and both do what they do nicely.

Now, that is from a strummer/picker perspective. For fingerstyle playing, I would think the X20 to be a great choice. Or, both.

CF isn't just for traveling... but, I don't take wood guitars with me anymore.
Thanks Jim... RV lifestyle with a nice guitar or two is wonderful.

I can see why you would pick the X7 for the coach.

Is the X20 similar to a dreadnaught in size and the X7 more like a OOO?
Old 07-21-2017, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post

Being a Taylor fan (for wood guitars), the X7 is just a bit smaller than the GSmini, but the X7 has a longer scale and 1 3/4" nut, so the playing is more comfortable (for me, and I prefer the sound of the X7). The X20 is closer in size to a Grand Auditorium (same scale and nut width), but more ergonomically designed (better fit for me).

It created some talk when I said I prefer the tone of the X20 over that of my 814ce. They are both very nice guitars, and I enjoy playing each. When home, I still pick up the Emeralds most often.

Next trip out, I'll probably take the X20... for that whole variety thing.

Hope that helps. Picking a guitar is such a personal experience - I'm happy to share my selection/thought process, but less so about saying "You should get this one." The X7 turned out to be such a delightful guitar for me, that it made me want to try an X20. Either would be great as "an only" for me.

Jim
Old 07-21-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post

The following specs are from Emerald's website,
maybe it'll help in comparing the size of the X7 & X20 to other guitars.

2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 07-23-2017 at 03:24 AM. Reason: corrected typo
Old 07-21-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
The following specs are from Emerald's website,
maybe it'll help in comparing the size of the X07 & X20 to other guitars.

Not to fret but 20 frets on my X7.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCA View Post
Not to fret but 20 frets on my X7.
How did you get so lucky ?
I just checked my X7 and have 19 frets.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 07-21-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
How did you get so lucky ?
I just checked my X7 and have 19 frets.
Interesting. If you look at the X7 Opus on Emerald's site it has 20. Was yours a custom order?
Old 07-21-2017, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

I had to check after reading this: yep, 20 frets. I think it was on the "Buy 19, Get One Free" special.

Like the Great 24-Fret Debate of 2017... nothing to fret about.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCA View Post
Interesting. If you look at the X7 Opus on Emerald's site it has 20. Was yours a custom order?
My X7 is an Artisan, Amber color.
I asked for crystal ice back and sides, and K&K mini to be installed.
The only custom request for the neck was satin finish (sanded), on the back of neck.
I received it from Emerald, Oct 2016.

Maybe earlier X7s had 20 frets and later it was reduced to 19...
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 07-21-2017 at 04:35 PM. Reason: added image
Old 07-21-2017, 06:04 PM
Guest 928

Beautiful guitars!

For you travelers, since this thread has become diversified, what can you tell me about t Grants Pass Oregon?
Old 07-21-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Being a Taylor fan (for wood guitars), the X7 is just a bit smaller than the GSmini, but the X7 has a longer scale and 1 3/4" nut, so the playing is more comfortable (for me, and I prefer the sound of the X7). The X20 is closer in size to a Grand Auditorium (same scale and nut width), but more ergonomically designed (better fit for me).

It created some talk when I said I prefer the tone of the X20 over that of my 814ce. They are both very nice guitars, and I enjoy playing each. When home, I still pick up the Emeralds most often.

Next trip out, I'll probably take the X20... for that whole variety thing.

Hope that helps. Picking a guitar is such a personal experience - I'm happy to share my selection/thought process, but less so about saying "You should get this one." The X7 turned out to be such a delightful guitar for me, that it made me want to try an X20. Either would be great as "an only" for me.

Jim
Well... that sure helps my decision process! ;-)

If you could have only ONE, and the size for traveling wasn't an important selection criterion, which would you keep?
Old 07-21-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
My X7 is an Artisan, Amber color.
I asked for crystal ice back and sides, and K&K mini to be installed.
The only custom request for the neck was satin finish (sanded), on the back of neck.
I received it from Emerald, Oct 2016.

Maybe earlier X7s had 20 frets and later it was reduced to 19...
That's a beauty!
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber