The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Oh where oh where is a CF Banjo when you really need one?? Sigh...

Crap.. here is one..and headless as a bonus... that's what I get for asking...

This has got to be a rare banjo--a one-off! I once handled a couple of CF instruments from the middle east that looked similar--but no more were ever made--and they weren't headless.

This would make me interested in banjos for the first time (at least a little bit . . . )

Just found out a bit more

https://rfdblog.blogspot.com.tr/2012...ber-banjo.html

You have amazing connections!

Last edited by ac; 08-31-2017 at 04:29 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:09 AM
Guest 928

AC;

Thank you for the information. This is an unusual project and one that obviously hit a number of snags. It's also neat that the author has worked his way around the obstacles and is ready for a second run at the project. Way cool.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
K... I know what you're up to! You're building up inventory to open a carbon fiber musical instruments museum in Phoenix... the first of its kind.

Have you considered creating an annex to THE Musical Instruments Museum, in Phoenix?

https://mim.org
Love it, DH.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

I have been enjoying the X7 on this trip. I will often sit under the awning of the motorhome and play for the Blonde and the furry-girl. Yesterday, a neighbor saw me playing, came into our site and told us about a regular jam session they have here every Friday evening...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2017/09/entertaining.html

If you don't want to read the blog post, the synopsis is: the guys playing were very gracious about welcoming me, even though our styles could not have been more different... I'm a little bit rock 'n roll, and they are a little bit - no, make that a lot - country. Easy enough for me to follow along on the 3 chord songs. One of them would announce what the starting chord would be (most of the time D, a few times G) and off we'd go.

The 3 singer/guitar players (I was one of the three) took turns chosing a song... I wasn't familiar with most of what they played. I dug deep to come up with songs that they might have heard... it was very apparent that we were exposed to different radio stations when we were all kids. Imagine the scene in the Blues Brothers where they play the country bar. Or any Pauly Shore movie. (Guess that makes me "the weasel.")

Now to the guitar part: one guitar player had a Telecaster; the other had a Taylor dread. And, me with my carbon fiber X7. I think one was channeling Ted when he asked "Is that hole up top a cup holder?"

Yes, really. Only the second time I've heard that comment. One guy asked, "Is that fiberglass?"

"Carbon fiber, actually." Blank stares. "Kinda like fiberglass." Head nods.

We played plugged in, and my X7 held its own with the Telecaster and the dread. No EQ, other than with my B-Band, and it sounded fine. The guy with the Taylor had his song lyrics in plastic sheets. The guy with the Telecaster had his on an iPad Mini. I didn't use their prompts, just followed by watching what they were playing... when they played the same chords.

The experience answered a few questions I've never asked... yes, the X7 sounds great in a band environment. Van Morrison and Jimmy Buffett are not considered blue-grass or old-timey (their words) country music.

Musicians from completely different genres and backgrounds can still make music together. Some of the people in the audience danced, including some line dancing... first I've seen anything I've played accompany that.

There was hand-shaking and invitations to come play "anytime we are in the area." Nice folks.

On the way back to the motorhome, Joan asked me, "Did their songs all sound the same to you?"

Old 09-02-2017, 09:22 AM
Guest 928

Captain;

Nice experience, nice reportage. I sometime join some Bluegrass folks who play in the village park. Some of those stinkers are real purist. When I first started playing with them, about 10 years ago, I tried some original stuff and found myself pretty much playing alone. Little by little I decided to just follow along and have learned a few songs that allow me to contribute my share to the Bluegrass experience. I don't have a problem with the common Bluegrass chords, but sometimes the timing and chord changes are really complex--and so the experiences are educational.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:17 AM

Nylon strings are allowed in country stuff?
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-02-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Nylon strings are allowed in country stuff?
I believe Willie Nelson used nylon strings on Trigger (Martin N-20 nylon-string classical acoustic guitar)
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 09-02-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:18 PM
Guest 928

121;

I think you may be right. I'll bet Kramster is really surprised to hear that.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
121;

I think you may be right. I'll bet Kramster is really surprised to hear that.
Are you letting your hair grow out so you can put it in braids, Evan?
Old 09-02-2017, 06:03 PM
Guest 928

Captain;

Pretty much there. While at Nelson's restaurant at Nelson's island, a woman kept staring at me until she finally came over and asked for my autograph. I gave it, willingly. When she finally looks at the autograph, she is going to be really surprised. Willy does look a lot like me, good looking guy.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Captain;

Pretty much there. While at Nelson's restaurant at Nelson's island, a woman kept staring at me until she finally came over and asked for my autograph. I gave it, willingly. When she finally looks at the autograph, she is going to be really surprised. Willy does look a lot like me, good looking guy.
I'll keep that in mind when you show up at our place with a bus named Honeysuckle Rose.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:13 AM

I thought some some folks might enjoy this video about Trigger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=uhQuJTc5yFY
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 09-03-2017, 09:48 AM
Guest 928

121;

Thank you very much, I really enjoyed the video.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

There is another thread on this forum about the September Select Series offerings from Emerald - absolutely gorgeous guitars!

While perusing Facebook, I saw the post from Emerald regarding this Series and read through the comments... lots of comments. One that struck me particularly funny was from someone who posted this...

" I imagine if a pick fell into the sound hole it would be much easier to reclaim over a traditional center sound hole."

I absolutely laughed out loud over that comment. Then, posted this...

"Yeah, I bought an X20 for the great sound, playability, forward-thinking styling, comfort, beautiful craftsmanship, and striking look... but I can see where pick retrieval would be the big selling point. LOL With the offset sound-hole there is another advantage: not losing your pick in there in the first place (and here I thought it was for giving the player the same great sound that is projected forward)."

Reading through those comments, the Emerald folks must have a lot of patience... and restraint.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

We've moved on from Missouri to Arkansas. After a few days here, we should have a better idea of a "best route" to get ourselves back to south Texas. In the meantime, cooling our heels in a very nice US Army Corps of Engineers RV park by the Arkansas River - a water view from our patio and dinette window. Nice for cat walking, and a striking Full Corn Moon tonight...

Lots of hills and curves on the road today:

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2017/09...t-need-no.html

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber