The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-16-2017, 02:09 PM

secret of the pros. buy from andertons UK instead of a US dealer. you can get them for about 150 after currency exchange rate as apposed to 250-350 here in the US.
PRS CE-24 Semi-Hollow
Old 03-16-2017, 02:33 PM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
I saw in your original unboxing that the tuner and capo don't fit well. how small is that holder? Haha
It's standard size, probably a little larger than most other cases. I keep my tuner, capo, wirecutters, a couple of pens, and a metal Altoids box full of picks. On stage I'm wireless (no cables yay!) and so I was hoping that the sender and extra batteries would fit also, but they don't.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:42 PM

Everyone thank you for your replies!

My only concern was that they don't neccesarily make a "Grand Auditorium" case perse. Also ready on Furch reviews several have said "case upgrade" so I was thinking it was something I would need to consider. But that seems silly to me now thinking of Furch's quality standard on the instruments, why use inferior cases.

In any case, I appreciate the feedback! Looking forward to being able to have such a quality case for my upcoming Furch G23 LE-CE!
Old 03-16-2017, 03:14 PM

Very, very good cases but be aware of the aluminum strip on the outer edges of the case and lid.
It might be possible, if you weren't concentrating, to accidentally slide your guitar across this strip and possibly scratch it.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-16-2017, 03:17 PM

No complaints with the Hiscox I got with my Lowden F-25. Like others said, light and durable.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:23 PM

All of my acoustics now live in Hiscox Pro II cases. I love 'em! I sold off all the cases that the guitars came in.

After many international trips (on average, three times/yr between San Francisco and Europe), they've performed their job perfectly.

Here I am at Sanderstead Station, UK, in 2019 after playing at the Lime Meadow Rugby Club. Inside is my beloved Collings D2HA.

I should add that I LOVE the "D" rings already being installed. Just clip on a strap and sling it over your shoulder! Leaves both hands free to carry other luggage through the airport or wherever.

Last edited by 6L6; 05-01-2021 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:05 PM

I have a Pro flite case for my Martin D28 just like the one in the picture prior on this post. I noticed a couple of months ago the red finish has stained the white binding on my guitar. I now have a pinkish edge all the way round the binding from the case. Seems the red finish has dyed the nitro finish. I believe Hiscox has changed the interior to a silver/grey now. I would avoid the red cases at all costs
Old 03-16-2017, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
It is a really sturdy yet lightweight case that gives me full confidence about the safety of the guitar in rough handling conditions.

The only complaint I can offer about the hisox case is that it is too fat waisted to accommodate the third party back-pack-straps addon that I purchased for hands free carrying.
You just saved me the price of a back axe, I think.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 03-16-2017, 05:14 PM

I have a Hiscox which came with my Furch OM last year and my Guild D35 has lived in its Hiscox case for about 28 years! I had one for my Ibanez Musician bass too but the strap that stops it opening flat had degraded and the latches were rather shot - but it lasted 30 years before being replaced with a great padded gig bag.

Recommended without hesitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 03-16-2017, 06:42 PM

Another happy Hiscox owner here, Purchased after the Case that came with my Maton disintegrated 20-30 years ago. Only issue I ever had was the glue finally letting go on the storage compartment cover. I only re-glued it recently. Apart from that, I would happily spend the money on another if needed.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:03 PM

I have several Hiscox cases. The oldest dates from 1997 - when the springs on the latches on this one gave up a couple of years ago I emailed Hiscox asking if I could buy some replacement latches.

They said no they wouldn't sell me any.

They said I could have them free of charge!

Sure enough a complete set of latches and suitable rivets arrived in the post a couple of days later, plus full instructions on how to remove the old latches (just a matter of drilling out the old rivet heads) and to fit the new ones with the supplied pop rivets.

Yes, I need to buy a pop rivetting tool for the princely sum of £7 from eBay, but that really was the total expenditure for complete catch replacement.

They were also kind enough to send me some extra padded "bumpers" to fit to a case to better hold the slightly unusual sized guitar it contained.

The ungluing compartment flaps are pretty common but easily fixed.

Excellent light, very protective, relatively inexpensive, long lasting cases that have stood up to a lot during their time with me. I wouldn't want anything else for general use in UK.

Keith
Old 03-16-2017, 07:21 PM

A few years ago I flew across the country with my two favorite guitars. One was in a Calton, one was in a Hiscox Pro II (their mid line case).

I felt just as comfortable with both guitars' safety.

My shoulder liked the Hiscox a lot better schlepping through the airports, though!!

Old 03-16-2017, 07:56 PM

Hiscox easily the best case I have had and I have had several. Lightweight and protection are in perfect balance in this case. I have a medium ProII that I use for Huss & Dalton 00 and for my classical.

Jon
Old 03-16-2017, 09:46 PM

Hiscox cases are overrated in my opinion.

Although they are light, they are also very large and take up a lot of space.

Their case pockets do not have much room in terms of height.

Their plastic exterior easily cracks or is puncturable if it comes in contact with sharp edges.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

Another Hiscox owner checking in with a big thumbs up. I like it better than any TKL or other wood case I've owned. They advertise it with 5 guys standing on the case... I haven't done a "Myth-Busters" try on that, but it is well-made; my Emerald X20 is a perfect fit, and it is reasonably light weight. Definitely an upgrade from the typical wood and Tolex cases.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
case, furch, furch stonebridge guitar, hiscox, stonebridge