The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-02-2016, 11:14 PM

Default What case will last as long as my guitar?

Hey everyone, in need of some advice.

Recently purchased a new HD-28 and I'm not to fond of the case it came with. Doesn't hold humidity extremely well, and doesn't seem to protect it too much if it took a fall. I wanted to purchase a case that could possibly last me my entire lifetime with the guitar, if that's even possible.

I was looking into Hiscox cases, specifically the Liteflite Artist (pricey, but willing to do so if necessary), and the Pro II, which is much more in my price range but I don't know how it stacks up to the Liteflite.

Any suggestions? Would a Hiscox be good for the ol' Martin?

Thanks a bunch guys, deeply appreciate the help.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:30 AM

Hiscox, Calton and other high-dollar cases. I've never had any problem with Martin cases not only lasting as long as needed. Unless you're going to beating up your case, it will last forever. Many 50-60 year old Martins being sold with original cases.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:30 AM
Guest316

My Gibson lives in a Hiscox Pro II and I could not be happier. Hiscox cases are well built, sturdy, and superior in protection. I've had mine a year now. Definitely recommended.

Here's my NCD thread
Here's my review of the case

Now it's a year later and I'm still stoked on Hiscox cases. My Gibson, which represents a substantial financial investment for me, is happy.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:35 AM

I have been on a Hiscox fling since a friend came over with his Gibson Blues King in a Hiscox Pro II and I thought: "Bingo!"

The dread Hiscox cases are everywhere but the others are scarce near me, so a dread was first, and then I got the Artist for my Authentic. And a Pro II for my Cargill custom 00.

BluesKing777.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:01 AM
Charter Member

It depends what you do with the case.

If your guitar is exposed to the elements, dry or humid conditions, or getting banged about in the back of a truck or touring van, or traveling in a plane's cargo hold, then you'll want a Calton, Karura or Hiscox Artist (not the cheaper models). $600-$1300. You'll still have to maintain the right humidity inside the case, but that's easy. Unless you live in arid conditions or a place where the heater is on a lot like Lake Wobegon or Buffalo, you probably don't need to worry about humidity.

If your guitar is mostly at home in a room where you, plants and pets are comfortable, or going out to gigs occasionally in your car, the factory case is fine. If you want an upgrade, Ameritage makes good cases for $250-$450. TKL also makes fine cases for $120-$200. A guitar in a quality, fitted factory hardshell case can withstand a lot (that's what they ship in on UPS trucks, after all) and they last for decades.

The most dangerous kind of fall is if the case falls flat on its back or front, because the whiplash from the weight of the tuners can cause the neck to break at the nut. I've never had one of those in 20+ years of carrying guitars all over the place, and I'm not especially careful. But if you're concerned about that scenario, you'll want the tightest possible support including under the headstock, and Calton/Hiscox/Karura-grade cases are typically the only ones that will offer that level of protection.

Personally, I tend to either go with a factory or TKL case or go all the way and get a Calton. Ameritage style cases are luxury cases, 2-3x more expensive but still the same kind of construction (except heavier, which probably makes it more likely to be dropped), so I wouldn't buy one; instead I'd spend a little extra for a Hiscox/Calton and get significantly better protection, including against water (eg rain). Heck, a Calton is probably waterproof enough to withstand a full bath. But it doesn't sound like you'd leave your guitar under pouring rain or go swimming with it, so it may just be academic.

Another thing to consider is that the best case is the one you don't mind carrying around. My priciest guitar lives in a gig bag, because a hard case for it would be prohibitively large and heavy (not to mention pricey) and I'd just resent it enough not to use it. The bag is fine for most car travel and gigs, and it doesn't take up a huge amount of space when empty. Caltons and similar are pretty big.

Last edited by rogthefrog; 12-03-2016 at 02:15 AM.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:01 AM
Charter Member

I gig often nowadays. And I bought a hiscox pro II, which every one of my guitars fit in. Great case. Great latches. All my original cases are pristine. They stay that way because I always use the hiscox.

and from what I understand, you can buy direct from U.K. Much cheaper than buying in the US. I wish I had known when I ordered mine!
Old 12-03-2016, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
I gig often nowadays. And I bought a hiscox pro II, which every one of my guitars fit in. Great case. Great latches. All my original cases are pristine. They stay that way because I always use the hiscox.

and from what I understand, you can buy direct from U.K. Much cheaper than buying in the US. I wish I had known when I ordered mine!
Ditto all o' that !

(apart from the often gigging... Oh yeah, and mine's only the cheapo "Liteflite" model, still a great case!)
Old 12-03-2016, 04:48 AM

Both my Matins live in Hiscox cases. One a pro 2 and the other a 'regular' Hiscox case. Unless I see the handle, I can't tell them apart. They are both built to the same high standard. In fact the 'regular' case did a round trip to Australia and managed to receive a dent in the metal trim at the base of the case. It takes a LOT of force to dent a Hiscox case, i.e being dropped from a great height onto tarmac, however the guitar was fine. Hence I endorse this product for flying and touring duties.

I don't know anything about the 'Artist' series to comment.
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503

Last edited by Sonics; 12-03-2016 at 04:57 AM.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamagish View Post
Hey everyone, in need of some advice.

Recently purchased a new HD-28 and I'm not to fond of the case it came with. Doesn't hold humidity extremely well, and doesn't seem to protect it too much if it took a fall. I wanted to purchase a case that could possibly last me my entire lifetime with the guitar, if that's even possible.

I was looking into Hiscox cases, specifically the Liteflite Artist (pricey, but willing to do so if necessary), and the Pro II, which is much more in my price range but I don't know how it stacks up to the Liteflite.

Any suggestions? Would a Hiscox be good for the ol' Martin?

Thanks a bunch guys, deeply appreciate the help.
Hi I'd go for a Hiscox Artist case , top of the range , check out the website for all the options
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 12-03-2016, 06:18 AM

I've tried many and always return to Hiscox.
Currently I'm enjoying a pro II. Can't recommend it enough.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:30 AM

The Hiscox Liteflite Pro II is a super high quality case that can stand up to flying. I guess that's why they put 'flight' into the name.

The Artist uses a thicker shell but unless you have roadies that throw your cases around, the Pro II should more than meet your needs AND is within your budget.

I've been using the Pro II for 10 years and IMO it is the best case for the money out there. My two Pro II cases have been across the country and back a few times and offer great protection with light weight and they are pretty darned rugged.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:48 AM

The OP asked which case would last as long as the guitar? Certainly a Calton fits that description. Since 1980, I have purchased four: a dread, a banjo, a Lester and a mandolin. All four were purchased from Keith's front door and in two examples custom fitted by him on the day. These cases will outlive whatever you put into them but these days there are alternatives. The Hiscox has been mentioned. Also there is the Hoffee which shares the attributes of the Calton at a lower all-in weight (and a correspondingly higher price?).
Unless you are going to entrust your babies to baggage handlers then they are overkill and a lower grade Hiscox is more than satisfactory.

When I got my Sobell, it was the work of 30 minutes to re-profile the neck crutch on my Calton dread for the wider finger board, and you can adjust the snug fit both ways under the skirts yourself if necessary with scraps of foam. (I stood and watched Keith do it.) This means that a Calton will also comfortably outlast any guitar that you put in it, long after your shoulders and arm muscles have withered! Buy cheap; buy twice (or many).
Another two cents.

e&oe...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
case, hiscox, liteflite, martin case, pro ii