The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-06-2014, 06:02 PM

Cool Best hard case advice?

I've picked up several "blemished" cases from dealers at very nice discounts, around 50% off. Guardian, and On Stage make nice cases and some have an extra latch in back.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 10-06-2014, 06:05 PM

zombie thread alert!
Old 10-06-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
this is what I'd buy, hands down....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Creek...item20bf12cd9d
I second this recommendation. 95% Geib case quality at a 1/3 to 1/4 of Geib case price. Below is my product review from Music123.com:
"I ordered the Gieb-style Silver Creek Vintage Dreadnought Arch top case to replace the beat up (and heavy...very heavy) 14 year old monstrosity that came with my '78 Hohner HG-320. This case has far exceeded my expectations. While during my research this case garnered many positive reviews, most however also stated that this case was not quite up to the standards of a TKL Gieb-style case. So imagine my pleasant surprise when I opened the box, removed the plastic wrap and found a vintage style case that, in my opinion is more than equal to the $200-$300+ Gieb-style cases CF Martin reserves for their most precious guitars. The build quality on my case is exceptional. There was no give in the wood top and absolutely no noxious glue smell. All gold colored hardware was solid and of more than sufficient quality: no cheap feel here. The locking clasp works flawlessly and when I inserted the key, it turned flawlessly and provides sufficient deterrence against the curious hands of my 7 year old son. The case interior is well padded, not quite as padded as the TLK Gieb-style cases but better padded than most cases far more expensive than what I paid for this one. If I have any criticism (and this is seriously a MINOR criticism) it would be that the crushed velvet lining feels a little "crunchy" in other words it is not as soft as I had expected. But this is due more to my expectation than the actual quality of the case. If my case accurately represents the overall quality of Silver Creek Vintage Arch top cases (and I have no reason to believe otherwise) than I strongly recommend this case to anyone in the market for a high quality guitar case and at a very reasonable price to boot."
Original Martin Backpacker
Little Martin
Lotus Dread (1st guitar)
Old 10-06-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbomumbo View Post
zombie thread alert!
Burned again! I have to watch out for this.

Greg Rappleye
Old 10-07-2014, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
this is what I'd buy, hands down....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Creek...item20bf12cd9d
I agree with Todd. I have purchased two of these and a similar Guardian brand in the past and they are excellent cases. I love the leather handle. I currently have a Guardian that I keep my 12 fret Recording King in ( http://elderly.com/accessories/items/GVGC-00012.htm ).

I would add, in agreement with Woodstock 64, these are very comparable to the much more expensive TKL brand Geib-Style cases that come with the higher level Martins. I own one of those (because I got a good deal from a forum member) in which I keep my old Guild D-35 and I've had several that came with Martins in the past. Comparing the two side by side, they have some slight differences but they look very similar. In terms of use and durability over time, I've not seen a significant difference.

Martin 0000-18 12-Fret Adi/Sinker Mahogany

Last edited by oldrocker; 10-07-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:27 AM

Default Best hard case advice?

FYI The Guardian and Silver Creek Vintage Deluxe Cases are identical, right down to the same product number.
Original Martin Backpacker
Little Martin
Lotus Dread (1st guitar)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, case, dr500, dreadnought, epiphone