The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-27-2011, 08:05 PM

Default Hard case for Epi Dread dr500?

Finally getting a real guitar this week, after 10 years of playing a cheapo that I got at a yard sale 10 years ago. My Epiphone DR-500m is a dreadnought guitar that doesn't come with a case. I very occasionally will throw my guitar in the back of the car, but the case won't get much more abuse than that. After looking at various Websites, I'm kind of stumped as to what will fit and what to get. Also, do I need to get one of those humidity things that go in the sound hole when you put the guitar away? It's the holidays, so I'm sure I can convince someone to help with getting this stuff!

Last edited by Sankavarmuch; 11-27-2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Better title
Old 11-27-2011, 08:59 PM

I would go with a plywood dread model like these Canadian cases for $90 from Elderly:

In addition, Elderly offers a wide range of cases to choose from: http://elderly.com/search/accessories/cats/138N.html

I would get a flat-top case, not an arched one. You'll pay less, and from your description you don't need the extra protection of the arch construction.

Do not settle for a gig bag - they're fine for carting the broken shards of the guitar they once housed, but offer no real protection.

And when the RH stays consistently below 40 percent, do get a humidifier. Two popular ones around here are the Oasis soundhole tube http://oasishumidifiers.com/index.html and the Larry http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5P0_irwOPI, a simple inexpensive do-it-yourself solution presented by one of our own members.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Well if it is just for storage at home mostly you can do better price-wise than Elderly. Check out Amazon, etc. I just got a Guardian brand case for 15% off.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:47 PM

Check some pawn shops. When people pawn or sell guitars, the amount given is almost always based on the value of the guitar alone. Therefore the shops have little to nothing invested in the cases. And often will sell them cheaply. Take your guitar w/you to insure a good fit.
These are about as cheap as a new HS case gets.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/cases...eadnought-case
Old 11-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

I have an inexpensive gig bag that I use infrequently, but works as an emergency guitar case for any size guitar. Most music stores sell cases, and frequently carry a couple types - a dread should be a pretty easy fit. If you take the guitar in, you can test fit it in a couple to see how it goes -
Old 11-27-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
Check some pawn shops. When people pawn or sell guitars, the amount given is almost always based on the value of the guitar alone. Therefore the shops have little to nothing invested in the cases. And often will sell them cheaply. Take your guitar w/you to insure a good fit.
These are about as cheap as a new HS case gets.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/cases...eadnought-case
these cases that Brian is talking about will work fine for what you need and they are of good quality. I used to own the tweed one, it was great and I got a lot of compliments on it!!!
Old 11-27-2011, 10:41 PM

Congrats on the new guitar!! I think you've waited long enough. And welcome to the forum!!

Here's a nice case for your new guitar. Friend of mine has one of these. Hard to beat for $69!! Free shipping, too.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/cases...41695000001000

And, yes, you should make sure to humidify the guitar to maintain ~40%-60% humidity. I've got a few of those Planet Waves deals that go between the strings, but a damp sponge inside of a zip-lock bag works just as well IMO. Poke some holes in the baggie to allow the moisture out. Wrap it in a soft cloth and tuck it under the strings at the soundhole. Put another one up around the headstock for good measure. And GET A HYGROMETER so you actually know what the humidity level is inside of the case.

Last edited by Opa John; 11-27-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:50 PM

"Best hard case advice?"

Hmmmmmmm.....two things. Get a good lawyer and wear a nice suit every day.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:37 AM

Default I have been looking at these

http://guitarcasesonline.com/
I am interested in the humicase for a few of mine.ship
And no affiliation with the company
Old 11-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Musical minimalist

this is what I'd buy, hands down....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Creek...item20bf12cd9d

Old 11-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankavarmuch View Post
Finally getting a real guitar this week, after 10 years of playing a cheapo that I got at a yard sale 10 years ago. My Epiphone DR-500m is a dreadnought guitar that doesn't come with a case. I very occasionally will throw my guitar in the back of the car, but the case won't get much more abuse than that. After looking at various Websites, I'm kind of stumped as to what will fit and what to get. Also, do I need to get one of those humidity things that go in the sound hole when you put the guitar away? It's the holidays, so I'm sure I can convince someone to help with getting this stuff!
Hi Sankavarmuch...

Hello and welcome to the Forum! Glad you joined...

I have used a number of the Musician's Friend dreadnaught cases (plywood) both in black and tweed, and find no advantage to spending more unless you are wanting a very high end case. They were well made and $50-70.

Musician's Friend case - CLiCK

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-06-2014, 05:35 PM

this is what I'd buy

www.guitarhardcase.com

Last edited by t3CSAY; 10-07-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:43 PM

There are sturdy and nice looking Epiphone dread cases available from the major internet retailers (Musician's Friend, Sweetwater, etc.) for around $100.

Greg Rappleye
Old 10-06-2014, 05:44 PM

Oddly enough, the two best cases I own are Chinese-made hardshells -- arched tops, 7 ply, better padding, more latches, good handles, etc. than the cases that came with my Martins or my Gibson which are pretty sad by comparison, IMHO.
One of them is a fabric tweed case (not vinyl tweed) bought through Amazon (to replace the funky one that came with my OM-15) and one that came from a local shop. Both were between $80 - $100.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Modli...23585177732114
Old 10-06-2014, 05:51 PM

Default hard case

If weight is a concern, I can recommend the Access gig bag. It affords far better protection than any other gig bag anywhere near it's price. Many gig bags are just scuff covers; this has at least some strength.

A hard case will give you even better protection and will not cost that much more; you've had some good suggestions on them from others.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, case, dr500, dreadnought, epiphone