The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-01-2017, 09:54 PM

Default NB on way to amp or to pa

My wife had a nice piccolo she was never going to play, so I traded it in for a bass and hsc. I play bass for several acts at open mic events I attend as well as for friends of mine who are a duo. Beyond that, I occasionally record bass. I sold my old bass amp and now have an 18" powered sub with my large pa rig and a 12" powered sub with my smaller pa rig. I also regularly use powered 15's or 12's with a small mixer. My question is, should I invest in a dedicated bass amp, or just use the bass direct into the mix and let the subs handle it. FWIW, I have had good results in the past just running through the pa using subs. The bass is of course a Yamaha. Model TRBX305 in mist green. Pics coming once I get the bass.

Looking forward to your opinions.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:43 AM

With a name like YamahaGuy I would be getting a Yamaha amp.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:30 AM

A bass amp can act as your stage monitor, and gives you more tone shaping options than most PA channel controls will. Carvin is closing up shop, so they may have some deals coming up.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 11-02-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
A bass amp can act as your stage monitor, and gives you more tone shaping options than most PA channel controls will. Carvin is closing up shop, so they may have some deals coming up.
One of these:

https://carvinaudio.com/collections/.../products/mb10

- with a DI out to the 18" powered sub (use the post-EQ option) will give you a nice full-range system for your 5-string; should bring the floor up about two feet when you hit that low-B...
Old 11-02-2017, 11:29 AM

I like the idea of having more control over the tone, and being able to hear myself, so I guess I'd better look into amps. My buddy has a Ampeg 115v2 I can get for $200. I may go that route.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars