The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-04-2014, 12:33 PM

Default Sunburst question...

I really love sunburst guitars, especially the J200 ones.

Could somebody tell me what colors are used in these bursts?
Are they two or three?
Do they fade from black or from dark (slightly reddish??) brown into the lighter zones?
Itīs very difficult to see and to analyse...

Martin D28 (1973)
12-string cutaway ...finished ;-)
Hoyer 12-string (1965)
Yamaha FG-340 (1970)
Yamaha FG-512 (ca. 1980)
D.Maurer 8-string baritone (2013-2014)
and 4 electric axes
Old 01-05-2014, 08:57 AM

I do those with two colors. A typical three tone bust would be what is seen on Fender Strats . I use a caramel/amber base and and a dark reddish brown for the burst. These pics show one although the burst is sprayed in much farther that what you want. This was done to look more like the bursts of the 40's but the colors are the same.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:14 PM

Thanks for your kind help!
Your antique burst with caramel/amber base and and dark reddish brown is really fine.
I will have to decide whether I do such brownish burst or the kind I have on my old Hoyer. That is more reddish and fades into black/brown or even a tad violet at the rims. Very hard to analyze even in daylight. I would take a bit less red and spread the spray-zone further into the direction of the soundhole - but I have to do a lot of testing sprays before working on my guitar. (spruce top - back and sides EIR). I think of doing the waist and bottom + head also with a touch of dark spray fading aside.But the rosewood still must be translucent...(if I describe this right )

Have a look at the 12-string:

Martin D28 (1973)
Hoyer 12-string (1965)
Yamaha FG-340 (1970)
Yamaha FG-512 (ca. 1980)
and 4 electric axes
Old 01-07-2014, 07:08 AM

This one was done with dyes dissolved in water and applied with paper towels. I used Amber and medium brown from StewMac and a straight red that I had in the shop.

It takes some practice to understand what the colors will look like under a finish - you can see it looks more brown without finish. I practiced on a spruce 2X8 and did about 6 runs before I was happy with the result - and I am VERY happy with the result

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ruby163...7639509741216/
Old 01-07-2014, 04:26 PM

It is a pity that StewMac (+ others) canīt ship over the pond -not even with surface mail. Thus Iīll have to exercise here in Germany.
Your burst is really impressive!

Martin D28 (1973)
Hoyer 12-string (1965)
Yamaha FG-340 (1970)
Yamaha FG-512 (ca. 1980)
and 4 electric axes
Old 01-07-2014, 06:04 PM

This is a bit OT, but may be of general interest.

I've never attempted anything like a sunburst, but if I did I was wondering whether a good approach for a new chum such as myself would be to apply the colour (stain, lacquer, whatever) from a spray gun using a mask located some distance above the work. 1-2" maybe? The spray would get under the mask to some extent and hopefully create the soft transition with uniform colour application and (hopefully again) none of the wobbly edges that aren't that uncommon in sunburst finishes.

What say?
Old 01-08-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
This is a bit OT, but may be of general interest.

I've never attempted anything like a sunburst, but if I did I was wondering whether a good approach for a new chum such as myself would be to apply the colour (stain, lacquer, whatever) from a spray gun using a mask located some distance above the work. 1-2" maybe? The spray would get under the mask to some extent and hopefully create the soft transition with uniform colour application and (hopefully again) none of the wobbly edges that aren't that uncommon in sunburst finishes.

What say?
I think you would get a very abrupt transition that way. Your mask will need to be 1/4" plywood to be heavy enough the air from the gun won't push it around. The keys to a good sprayed burst are proper gun set up, getting the toner mix just right and technique. Best advice is simply to practice, practice, practice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair