The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-17-2006, 09:18 AM

Default How does one learn to play "FILL INs"?

Let me clarify my title.

I hear a lot of music that requires at least two guitars. Most TAB and assuming standard notation show Rythms and such.

However its the FILL IN parts, the bits and pieces you hear with the accompying guitar(s) that give the song some depth.

I am trying to learn some music theory and just purchased 3 books on Amazon that hopefully will help me, but as usual, I'm looking for a quick way to learn this.

Anyone know what I am talking about and how have you been creating these fill ins or where are you getting the the sheet music/tabs?

Thanks!

And reach for the heavens and hope for the future
And all that we can be and not what we are

The Eagle and the Hawk -John Denver

Larivee LV-10
Alvarez 5056
Takamine G Series 12 String
Old 10-17-2006, 10:15 AM

sheet music or tab may show 2nd guitar/lead guitar.....most of the time, just get the right key and play something that fits...RickS is the local FL AGF master of fills and noodles.....you just gotta get in there and try....
Old 10-17-2006, 10:26 AM

LISTEN to a lot music which uses fill ins, especially country music, and copy of what you're hearing. After a while you'll develop an ear for those fill ins or licks. They're mostly improvised pieces of music that bridge phrases or sections. I'm not sure if you can find a definite source for them ?
Old 10-17-2006, 10:55 AM

That, and make sure you know some music theory. That'll help you noodle around in key, at least.

Also, I think it's helpful to learn bits & pieces of other kinds of music -- country, jazz, blues, etc. Some "fills" for one style fit very well in other styles of music.

I learned a lot of riffs & ideas used for electric guitar soloing (from a teacher and from learning solos & the motifs repeated/used) that translate over pretty well. Learn any Allman Bros solo for some great southern rock ideas -- double stops, doublestop bends, hammer-on/pull-off patterns, etc.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:08 AM

I use a lot of fills in my songs. Too many for some people's taste. They're usually one of the following:

1. Embroidered version of verse /chorus accompanyment.
2. Something developed from an idea in accompanyment.

- both of the above can stick in the home key or wander about a bit.

3. Contrasting material, usually in a different key.

I also have (too much) fun with codas / outros and stuff.

Excellent suggestions above.

Cheers!
Old 10-17-2006, 11:16 AM

Grady Martin was the master of fills with the electric guitar IMO. Most everything that came out of Nashville in the 60's had him on it. It's really easy to get too busy if you're not careful. Remember, you're just playing fills; not solo behind the singer.

Thanks,
Old 10-17-2006, 12:09 PM

Many ways to learn how. What works for you depends on your natural aptitudes and the ways you learn best. You can't go wrong learning scales and arpeggios. But only to a degree you're comfortable with - you can make yourself crazy with that if you overdo the "academic" side. Well, unless the academic stuff motivates you. It's a good feeling when you know scales and arpeggios in a way where you can just mosey around with them making up musical phrases or fills to a backing rhythm.

Tim
Old 10-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Hi David...
I love playing duets with guitars and when it comes to playing fills, I think ''opposite'' or contrast.

If the other person is playing choppy, I tend to go smooth and/or sustained. If they are playing low on the neck, I trend to the high end. If they are playing chords, I go after runs and parallel 3rds/6ths/10ths...etc

One of the exercises students undergo in lessons is to start listing opposite styles or contrasting techniques, then we put those into play.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-17-2006, 01:11 PM

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/colum..._rundowns.html

Here's a nice little video on rundowns, fill-ins and stuff like that, part of a great little series of free guitar videos on UG by PickNGrin.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:35 PM

Which books did you order from Amazon? Just curious.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:07 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Buy a couple of albums:
Allman Brothers Live At Fillmore East
Allman Brothers Beginnings (actually their first two albums repackaged into one)

Listen. Learn the fills by ear, realizing that they are based on the standard blues box and bends. Take Stormy Monday apart, for example. Once you've learned to copy those comfortably, you can begin with some others. Frankly, this is a field where learning a feel within context, assembling a catalog by ear and hand, and then synthesizing your own from the work of others will serve you better than picking up a few from a book.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-17-2006, 03:32 PM

GOT to go with the heart on this.
Bob said it best, learn the "basics" and then let your instincts take you there.
It won't be perfect every time, but either are WE.
I got my first taste of this from the people Bob mentions to listen too, only I had first hand input. LOL

And Tom, I suppose I should thank you for the compliment. I think ?
I ahve never been called a master of anything before.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:04 AM

If your fingers stumble, sing your fills. A little "ba-da-daaaa-baaa" is sometimes easier to sing first and play later... especially if you're trying to figure out what to play
Old 10-18-2006, 06:40 PM

RickS, my friend,

was a compliment, yes! I'm always listening to what you're playing, even when I'm singing and playing rhythm.....and you've got the chops, dude.....I have another former guitar pal who was always talking about how good he was at filling, and he can't come close to you....I've heard you slide right in on a song you've never heard before with some weird chords/chord voicings (I know, I wrote it) and you fit in like marquetry (I'm gonna let you'all look that up iffen you don't know what that means)...I'm always happy just to hit the next verse in the right spot cause I'm caught up in listening....it is always a pleasure to play with you.....let's retire and move with the womenfolk to Monroe NC and we can play more often and be right at home for MonroeStock VII and subs.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:55 PM

Man,
You're gonna gve me a big head.
I'm gonna have to go out and really learn to play now cause everyone will be expecting it from me.
I was havin fun just hiding behind the guys doin' the singing.
Now I'm gonna be expected to actually contribute.
LOL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell