The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-11-2018, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Default crack in bourgeois bridge

This was a used guitar I bought, it's a 2013 OM with a madagascar back and sides and an aged tone adirondack top with hide glue. Anyhow the bridge developed 2 cracks on either side of the bridge so I need to get the bridge replaced. I thought I'd contact Bourgeois to find out what repair places in AZ they might recommend. So they are going to make me a bridge and mail it to me and then I'll get a repair place to put it on. Here's the thing the bridge is going to cost me $100 plus shipping, is that a bit expensive for a replacement bridge or is that worth it because it's a Bourgeois bridge?

Thanks,

Debbie
Martin J-40 Adi custom 2018
Martin OM-28 Adi Gruhn Special
McPherson Sable
Fender American Professional II Telecaster
Fender American Professional II Stratocaster
Northfield Big Mon Engleman top
Northfield Big Mon Adirondack top
Companion custom woody banjo
Fender '68 custom Vibro Champ Reverb amp
Old 07-11-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieE View Post
This was a used guitar I bought, it's a 2013 OM with a madagascar back and sides and an aged tone adirondack top with hide glue. Anyhow the bridge developed 2 cracks on either side of the bridge so I need to get the bridge replaced. I thought I'd contact Bourgeois to find out what repair places in AZ they might recommend. So they are going to make me a bridge and mail it to me and then I'll get a repair place to put it on. Here's the thing the bridge is going to cost me $100 plus shipping, is that a bit expensive for a replacement bridge or is that worth it because it's a Bourgeois bridge?

Thanks,

Debbie
The most important thing is that it will be correct and I think it's worth it for that. I'd pay that. It should make the repair process as simple as possible with the least modification. Your guitar is worth it.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:24 PM

At StewMac, they run $22 for standard to $41 for pyramid, plus shipping. As said above, I would pay the difference for an exact replacement.

Not tryin' to brag, or nuthin', but I own a guitar.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

When I talked to the repair shop they said they could probably fix the crack with glue which would be about 20$ or if they put on a new bridge it would be $120 labor plus anywhere from $20 to $40 for them to get a new bridge. They'd order that from Allparts or Stewmac.

The cracks actually run in line with the saddle on either side not the bridge pins.

thanks,

Debbie
McPherson Sable
Old 07-11-2018, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieE View Post
When I talked to the repair shop they said they could probably fix the crack with glue which would be about 20$ or if they put on a new bridge it would be $120 labor plus anywhere from $20 to $40 for them to get a new bridge. They'd order that from Allparts or Stewmac.
You're going to devalue your guitar by more than the <$100 difference in the cost of the bridge. Get the Bourgeois bridge.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 07-11-2018, 01:49 PM

It’s definitely on the pricey side, but welcome to the rarefied world of boutique brand guitars. While I agree that getting a replacement bridge from Bourgeois guitars is theoretically ideal, you might want to run the idea past your repair tech first. He or she should be able to measure the existing bridge and see how closely it matches a standard replacement bridge from Stewart-MacDonald.

If the dimensions are the same, so long as the work is done cleanly, using a generic replacement bridge won’t hurt the guitar’s resale value any more than it’s already been dented by having to replace the bridge in the first place.

nobody’s going to get indignant about the replacement not coming from the factory, as long as it’s the correct size and style.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-11-2018, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Debbie...I'd go with the Bourgeois replacement bridge too. I'm guessing the bridge and fretboard are solid black ebony on that guitar with those high end tone woods. Ebony has become more expensive (especially solid black ebony) as demand has sky rocketed. That could play into the cost. But as others have said before me...it will be a Bourgeois replacement bridge as to keep the guitar all original as possible and also keep the repair process less invasive. It's important to get a good luthier to do the installation. The folks at Bourgeois might be able to recommend someone in your area? Best of luck...hope it all works out well!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-11-2018, 01:55 PM

Bourgeois bridges are different. I have never seen an exact replacement in the aftermarket.
I would make an exact copy and install it for $100.

I have glued cracks between the pin holes, but a bridge that is cracked on both ends of the saddle slot is history, IMHO.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:52 PM

Did you inquire about sending the guitar to Bourgeois for the repair?
Old 07-11-2018, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

I'm sure I could send it to them but it would be probably at least $200 in shipping going from AZ to the east coast where they are plus going through the possible harm of shipping a guitar.

I'm looking for a good repair place in the Phoenix area. There's Buchanan music that is an authorized Martin, Taylor, and Fender repair place so I'm guessing they do high end repairs. There's a Brindleys music that gets good reviews for repairs. I'm also checking out Acoustic Vibes that isn't very far from me since they sell many high priced guitars I'm hoping they have good repair people.

I guess I'll go ahead and get the new bridge from Bourgeois since it's made by them for their guitars. I'm also thinking since this guitar has hide glue used that they'd have to use that for glueing a new bridge on?
McPherson Sable
Old 07-11-2018, 07:02 PM

It's not necessary to use hide glue when regluing or replacing a bridge, but I like it better. The bridge is probably the most important glue joint on the whole guitar.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:33 AM

It's not like Bourgeois signs the bridge or puts a special stamp on it. In my shop to build a new exact copy and replace it would run you 75 bucks plus the cost of the bridge blank of your choice. Any luthier can pull this off and no one would know it's not a Dana Bourgeois bridge.

If you show us pics of it then maybe we can suggest to you that it can be repaired. It's hard to know what you mean in description only.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:41 AM

Agreed with some of the reply’s above, a good luthier can hand make a bridge that is indistinguishable from the original one.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 07-12-2018, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

I'm wondering if your repair person might be able to get a better deal on the bridge from Bourgeois as a professional courtesy if he or she ordered it instead of you. To me, $100 does sound like a lot for a bridge, even a really nice one.

As far as having Dana do the repair, I've shipped several guitars long distances and although it made me nervous, I never had one get damaged in transit. Also, I think $200 might be a little high for shipping.

Decisions, decisions...
Old 07-14-2018, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

please delete

Last edited by docwatsonfan; 07-18-2018 at 05:24 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair