The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-08-2018, 04:06 PM

Default tele thru an acoustic amp

hi , is there a Boss pedal that i can use thru an acoustic amp? would it sound decent enough? thanks.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:01 PM

as with everything with guitars, it is subjective. first the tele and acoustic amp. secondly, adding a pedal of some sort to the mix.

your call.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 07-08-2018, 05:06 PM

Multi-fx unit into the front end would surely work. If you just want 1 pedal, I'd try an overdrive or blues driver.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:31 AM

I would second trying a multi-fx unit like the Line6 Pod's or Behringer V-Amps. Your acoustic amp should provide a fairly accurate full-range reproduction of whatever comes before it.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:06 AM

I've used my Tele through a Roland AC60 with just a little nibble of Tube Screamer to give it a hairy edge and it sounds great!
Old 07-09-2018, 05:21 AM

Yup, it would be like running direct into a PA system, so a multi-effects unit or pedal board would give it some character...
Old 07-09-2018, 06:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
hi , is there a Boss pedal that i can use thru an acoustic amp? would it sound decent enough? thanks.
Hi Ross,
If you're looking to play 'Tele' sort of stuff through an acoustic amp it may require a pedal so as to not overload the system/speakers, etc.

Larry Campbell uses a pair of Fishman Loudbox Performer amps playing a Tele, and his Martin, and I thought it sounded perfect for each facet.

I play my Tele through a Fishman Loudbox Performer, using very heavy strings tuned down to C'Vestapol, so the speakers are getting a real workout. I don't use any pedals.

Here's an actual example of a bottleneck fingerstyle piece I'm working on. The delay you hear is from the built in effects on the Loudbox.

Enjoy!

Howard
Old 07-09-2018, 07:03 AM

I guess what I really want is a kind of "acoustic" sound . not really interested in overdrive. I want to do this because I just can't keep any of my acoustics in tune when I play out....especially when put the capo on ,which I use a lot.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I guess what I really want is a kind of "acoustic" sound . not really interested in overdrive. I want to do this because I just can't keep any of my acoustics in tune when I play out....especially when put the capo on ,which I use a lot.
Hi Ross,
Ah.....now we're at the heart of the matter, and it's an entirely different conversation.

Yes, you can play your Tele through any acoustic amp, and if you happen to find a pedal that will convert magnetic string impulses into an 'acoustic' sort of tone, via modeling, perhaps, you're home free. I think the Boss AC-3 would suffice!

Of course if you're using really slinky strings on your Tele, and plan on using a capo as well? You'd better really have that 'technique' nailed cold. I use .054-.012 on my Tele with 6100 SS fret wire, but I capo on top of the fret wire itself, so I'm not pushing the string anywhere past the minimum deflection point.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 07-09-2018, 08:05 AM

A fly rig sounded great in my Fishman amp. As mentioned above it's simply a PA in a box so you need some amp and cab modeling to make it sound good.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Sounds like your acoustic needs some attention then if it's not staying in tune. Are you playing outside in the sun? Or in an environment where the temperature and/or humidity fluctuates.

It seems to me if you want acoustic sound, then use an acoustic guitar through an acoustic amp. And if your guitar won't stay in tune, get that issue dealt with.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:36 PM

A telecaster should sound alright through an acoustic amp. I have an amp that I built years ago, just volume bass and treble, no distorting it. For a long time I was trying to get a nice clean sound through my Champ styled amp and one day I decides to put the Tele into my old solid state amp. It surprised me how good it sounded.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:40 PM

Tele's sound good through anything,
though better through something nice!
Old 07-11-2018, 02:04 AM

I've used my tele through a loudbox mini, no pedals. It sounded great but I like a clean, warm, neck pickup sound rather than the classic tele twang, so maybe it depends on what you want. It isn't loud enough for a full band setup, though.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 07-11-2018, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Hi Ross,
If you're looking to play 'Tele' sort of stuff through an acoustic amp it may require a pedal so as to not overload the system/speakers, etc.

Larry Campbell uses a pair of Fishman Loudbox Performer amps playing a Tele, and his Martin, and I thought it sounded perfect for each facet.

I play my Tele through a Fishman Loudbox Performer, using very heavy strings tuned down to C'Vestapol, so the speakers are getting a real workout. I don't use any pedals.

Here's an actual example of a bottleneck fingerstyle piece I'm working on. The delay you hear is from the built in effects on the Loudbox.

Enjoy!

Howard
..and Howard, very nice indeed. I've just started playing my tele again after spending most of my time in acoustic land these past few years. I'm going to get out my slide and tele tomorrow, you've inspired me.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars