The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-02-2018, 04:03 PM

Congrats, I've also been drooling over these Wildwood customs, in the cedar/quilted mahogany. Enjoy your new guitar for years to come.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:06 PM

Well, there’s an unhappy update to this story: About three weeks after purchasing the guitar I was wiping the instrument off when I felt a rough spot and a ridge on the bass side just below the waist. Close examination with good light and a magnifying glass revealed what appeard to be a fine crack in the side. Larrivee has been very responsive and advised me they believe this is an impact crack that may just be in the finish.

Being overly cautious, I took the instrument to my go to set up guy, a Taylor Silver+ repair center, and he strongly recommend placing a cleat just below the waist to guard against future problems. I took his recommendation since I didn’t want to pay shipping to California and risk further damage.

I’ve had the guitar back for a week now and tonight I was wiping things down and, to my eyes, the crack looks slightly longer and more pronounced. Sigh. So now I’m back to debating whether to send the guitar to Larrivee or seek out another luthier to check things. Honesty, I simply can’t afford to sink any more money into this guitar and it would be hard to justify paying shipping to Larrivee if this repair is non-warranty. I’m at the point where I wish I’d never seen the guitar.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:25 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89bruin View Post
Well, there’s an unhappy update to this story: About three weeks after purchasing the guitar I was wiping the instrument off when I felt a rough spot and a ridge on the bass side just below the waist. Close examination with good light and a magnifying glass revealed what appeard to be a fine crack in the side. Larrivee has been very responsive and advised me they believe this is an impact crack that may just be in the finish.

Being overly cautious, I took the instrument to my go to set up guy, a Taylor Silver+ repair center, and he strongly recommend placing a cleat just below the waist to guard against future problems. I took his recommendation since I didn’t want to pay shipping to California and risk further damage.

I’ve had the guitar back for a week now and tonight I was wiping things down and, to my eyes, the crack looks slightly longer and more pronounced. Sigh. So now I’m back to debating whether to send the guitar to Larrivee or seek out another luthier to check things. Honesty, I simply can’t afford to sink any more money into this guitar and it would be hard to justify paying shipping to Larrivee if this repair is non-warranty. I’m at the point where I wish I’d never seen the guitar.
Sorry to hear this. Hopefully talking to Larrivee will get this sorted out in your favor. Is shipping the guitar to Larrivee (with insurance) that expensive?

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-21-2018, 10:31 PM

Shipping looks like about $130 - $150 ground. That’s not the sticking point though. Although I’m certian the damage was there when I brought the guitar I suspect impact cracks aren’t warranty issues in Larrivee’s book (which I understand) so paying shipping AND repair costs would probably be more expensive than finding someone local who specializes in this sort of thing. Unfortunately, after buying the guitar I just dont have the budget flexibility to keep throwing money at it. I’ll admit to feeling a little bitter; you’re not supposed to have to engage in this kind of tail chase on a brand new guitar.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:39 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Shipping looks like about $130 - $150 ground. That’s not the sticking point though. Although I’m certian the damage was there when I brought the guitar I suspect impact cracks aren’t warranty issues in Larrivee’s book (which I understand) so paying shipping AND repair costs would probably be more expensive than finding someone local who specializes in this sort of thing. Unfortunately, after buying the guitar I just dont have the budget flexibility to keep throwing money at it. I’ll admit to feeling a little bitter; you’re not supposed to have to engage in this kind of tail chase on a brand new guitar.
Something tells me the impact crack would be more of a dealer issue than the manufacturer. Good luck with this, hopefully it'll turn out good for you. I'm sure the guitar sounds great, but every time you look at the guitar the crack will be the first thing you think about.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-21-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Something tells me the impact crack would be more of a dealer issue than the manufacturer. Good luck with this, hopefully it'll turn out good for you. I'm sure the guitar sounds great, but every time you look at the guitar the crack will be the first thing you think about.
That’s what I thought but I haven’t gotten much support there ... was initially told to contact Larrivee who quickly responded with their assessment and recommended contacting the dealer (you can see where this is going). I’m very grateful for Larrivee’s responsiveness and respectful of their limitations but I do feel let down by the dealer. The bottom-line is I paid for a brand new instrument and inherited what may be a long-term problem. This issue doesn’t just sour the new guitar experience, it also impacts resale value.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Yes, it’s master-grade cedar over quilted mahogany & it simply sounds wonderful ... warm, balanced & articulate. I spent a couple of hours comparing the “contenders” and this little OM just out-sang everything else to my ears. Now I just have to choose a pickup.

Not to encourage any GAS attacks but I believe Wildwood still has one cedar over rosewood OM-03 custom left in the shop ..........
Congrats. What's not to like? It looks great; Larrivée makes some nice guitars; and if you spent a couple of hours with the guitar and some well-chosen alternatives . . . well, a good one is a good one. It's hard to argue with your actual preference, and I'm not sure why anybody would try.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:17 AM

I would be raising holy heck with the dealer. An impact crack is not a warranty issue. A brand new guitar with such a crack suffered this at the dealer. The dealer must make good on it.

If they do not issue a refund or replace the guitar with the exact model, I would then threaten a lawsuit.

I ship guitars for $60-75 dollars. My local guitar shop charges a flat $55 + tax to ship a guitar anywhere in the CONUS.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:46 AM

I won’t go into the dealer side of this too much. I’ll just say It was clear no refund or exchange was forthcoming which was both surprising and disappointing. Larrivee, on the other hand has been great with respect to advice and communication. I’m going to send the guitar back to them to find out what’s really going on. Hopefully the repair won’t be expensive. Otherwise, I’ll be forced to sell one of the other guitars to offset the cost.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:26 PM

Sweet looking guitar. Enjoy!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 07-22-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I won’t go into the dealer side of this too much. I’ll just say It was clear no refund or exchange was forthcoming which was both surprising and disappointing. Larrivee, on the other hand has been great with respect to advice and communication. I’m going to send the guitar back to them to find out what’s really going on. Hopefully the repair won’t be expensive. Otherwise, I’ll be forced to sell one of the other guitars to offset the cost.
Sorry to hear. Hopefully Larrivee will take care of you. I would if I were them--even if it isn't a warranty issue. If I was Jean, I'd even make you a brand new one.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Congrats. What's not to like? It looks great; Larrivée makes some nice guitars; and if you spent a couple of hours with the guitar and some well-chosen alternatives . . . well, a good one is a good one. It's hard to argue with your actual preference, and I'm not sure why anybody would try.
Sorry -- I hadn't seen your follow-up post with the problems when I posted "congrats." It seems as if Larrivée wants to be helpful- I hope it all works out.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:25 PM

Beautiful guitar
Congrats on your Larrivee!
Hopefully my next guitar will be Larrivee too
Dave
Old 07-22-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:
It's a truly unfortunate situation. I'd send the guitar to Larrivee explain the *full* situation with someone and see what they can do for you. I know one of Larrivee's sons follows the Larrivee forum, maybe you might communicate your situation with him.
I've had two guitars shipped next day air,(different occasions and carriers) across the country for less than what your saying shipping costs may be check around on that part.
Good luck with this, although I'm thinking all will turn out better than you're feeling it might.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:48 PM

Larrivee has been great with this so far: they understand the full situation and have provided great advice with respect to getting the instrument into their hands quickly at minimum cost. I have no doubt that customer-focus will continue throughout the process and I’m looking forward to having the guitar repaired and putting the initial negative experience (none of it due to Larrivee) behind me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion