The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-21-2018, 07:07 PM

Default Electric, then multiple acoustic guitars

When I retired two years ago I wanted to be like Jeff Beck so I bought a LP Studio to learn guitar. A month or so later that stretched into almost two years, I went through multiple acoustics until landing my dream D18. I sold the Gibson LP and now fully an acoustic guy. Sometimes I think I might want another electric, but it is not as rewarding as the acoustic sound. Anyone else follow the same path? I sometimes think of a Tele as another addition, but that spark is fading slowing. Btw - seeing Jeff Beck tonight where the spark could be lit.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:34 PM

I have two electrics, a LP and a Strat, and three acoustics. A D35, early 80’s Alvarez and a late 90’s Takamine G334. I love the acoustic sound, but I just can’t give up my electrics. There’s something about an electric that I just live.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logdy View Post
When I retired two years ago I wanted to be like Jeff Beck so I bought a LP Studio to learn guitar. A month or so later that stretched into almost two years, I went through multiple acoustics until landing my dream D18. I sold the Gibson LP and now fully an acoustic guy. Sometimes I think I might want another electric, but it is not as rewarding as the acoustic sound. Anyone else follow the same path? I sometimes think of a Tele as another addition, but that spark is fading slowing. Btw - seeing Jeff Beck tonight where the spark could be lit.
Though more pricey than a LP Studio you may find your bliss, as did I, in a Gibson ES-335, a semi-hollow bodied electric guitar.

I've been an acoustic guy around 55 years, playing my beloved Guild D-55 for 41 of those.
Like you, I also started my electric guitar safari with a Les Paul Studio, but the 335 has a warm airy openness that satisfies this acoustic guy.
Running down the center is a solid block of hard maple, giving it plenty of gutsy agressive tone when called for.
Sorta the best of both worlds.

Here's multi Grammy-winning guitarist Larry Carlton on why he plays a 335:

SNIP: "When did you hook up with the 335?

The romance between Larry Carlton and the ES-335 started in 1969. "I was getting calls to do sessions, and I had to jump from studio to studio, but I never knew what style of music I was going to be called upon to play. I love jazz, I can play rock and roll and I can play country music, so I was looking for a guitar that could cover all those bags. I needed a guitar that was – and is – as versatile in sound as I was as a player. After checking out a few things, I decided that the Gibson ES-335 was right for me. I could play my jazz things – I love jazz and I love the f-hole and the semi-hollowbody sound – but when you put on the treble pickup, you can get it to scream on the amplifier. Versatility, versatility, versatility – that’s why I chose this guitar."
https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...-with-mr-335-1

Oh, and this new made in America boutique vintagey tube amp doesn't hurt my electric experience one bit.

https://reverb.com/p/tone-king-imperial-mkii

Attachment 11109

Attachment 11110

Does my lower bout make my butt look big?

Attachment 11111

Last edited by Tico; 05-27-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:35 PM
Guest 728

I sold off my electrics years ago, but kept my Godin P90 archtop. It scratches my electric itch when I need to, but with no cutaway and a fairly deep body,it feels like an acoustic. It's delightfully versatile, and for me, it's all the electric I'll ever need.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:49 PM

I’ve been totally Acoustic now for the last 8 years after playing for 51 years . Best years to date [emoji106]
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 07-21-2018, 11:44 PM

Acoustic only huh? Well we'll see where we're at in another 2 years...

Old 07-22-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
Acoustic only huh? Well we'll see where we're at in another 2 years...

Indeed, here's another 'itch' that an acoustic guitar can't scratch...

...if you know what I mean.
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 07-22-2018, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logdy View Post
Personally I think acoustic and electric are two different "dimensions" in the universe of guitar music. And as such comparing one against the other is futile, kind of like attempting to compare orange juice against wine .
And both or either one, have potential lifetimes worth of experiences to offer. After 47 years of acoustic only, as of 3 years come Nov., I now also play electric and could not be more happy .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-22-2018, 07:43 AM
Guitar Gourmet

So, how was Jeff Beck?

I fell in love with both electric and acoustic at the same time, probably fueled by Joe Walsh and the James Gang, the Allman Brothers, YES, and a host of guitar-based acts in the perriod.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-22-2018, 08:19 AM

I grapple with the same issue of electric versus acoustic. I have 3 electrics and 3 acoustics that I play often and due to GAS have some others that are less frequently touched. I think that the beauty of the guitar is the different way that a certain guitar will make you play.

For me I am trying to use the same technique across different guitars and this is a work in progress. But I am loving it.

Tele:
https://youtu.be/dfHYOlEfM2w

Archtop:
https://youtu.be/5o_j8Gu3SDk

Parlor
https://youtu.be/Uy4FN-8cbS8
Old 07-22-2018, 08:24 AM

Right now I have 5 steel-string electrics - 3 Tele's, a Strat and a Gretsch 6120. I've had LP's before, and I used to have a 335, but I must have gotten one of Gibson's lesser builds - sold it earlier this year.

If I had to get down to two, it would be the Gretsch and the Baja Tele.....and if it was just one......

Telecaster. All day long.
Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender MIJ Telecaster Custom
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience
Old 07-22-2018, 08:28 AM

I love my electrics (Stratocaster, Telecaster and a Samick Greg Bennett Royale semi) as much as I love my Martin, but my Martin gets played way more these days.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:29 PM

Gotta have both!

Three acoustics (soon four).
Two electrics (three amps).

Tone heaven!
Old 07-22-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
So, how was Jeff Beck?

I fell in love with both electric and acoustic at the same time, probably fueled by Joe Walsh and the James Gang, the Allman Brothers, YES, and a host of guitar-based acts in the perriod.

Bob
Jeff Beck was his fantastic self with a very tight supporting band. Nils Lofgren was the opening solo acoustic act and also excellent.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

I started on ukulele, which led quickly to classical guitar and lessons. Wasn't long before I added a steel string, and then I had to make electric sounds. The whole pedal world is a great place to play around.

I play them all--none very well.

If I could keep only one, it would probably be a steel-stringed acoustic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion