The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-25-2018, 04:47 PM

In NY it’s clearly a buyers market. Fairly priced guitars sit unsold forever. I’ve had a Martin GPCPA4, a Taylor 414ce, an American Strat and a Fender Hot Rod Deville amp for sale on CL on and off for months and no takers. They’re all well priced and I see other equal guitars also sitting unsold. I don’t want to ship but I see the AGP, eBay and Reverb in my future.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 06-26-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
I’ve bought, sold and traded on and off for over 30 years. Is it me, or have the past couple of years been a tough market for sellers of used gear?

I’ve seem some outstanding “deals” on this forum, on CL, and on Reverb that were what I would consider very fair... not sell. Or, if they did sell it was below what I’d consider fair market value.

I know the term “fair” is subjective and can be difficult to qualify...so, I’ll say I’d personally consider used fair market value to be 60-70% of new value. And those figures would obviously move depending on the item of course.

I guess it’s nothing new. And, of course no one has to “give” anything away, but it seems to be quite challenging to sell quality gear for a reasonable price lately.

I should also say that I’ve seen this apply to both electric, and acoustic guitars. Not just one or the other.

Anyone care to weigh in..
Personally, I've never seen it this grim for sellers. I've sold electric and acoustic guitars for about 25 years. Late last year, I sold (reverb) a perfect vintage Gibson Les Paul Heritage. Worth $3500-4K in any era, Tim Shaw pickups, all original and pristine.
Seller demands a $500 dollar refund, after I sold for $2000. I told him to send it back immediately if not sooner, and if it was the same as sent, I'd make a refund. He disappeared. This is not unusual. Reverb seems to attract the bottom of the barrel lately. I really hope this changes.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
Personally, I've never seen it this grim for sellers. I've sold electric and acoustic guitars for about 25 years.

...I really hope this changes.
I agree. Obviously others have shared different opinions with varied responses but, I personally feel the same as you aknow.

And I’m not convinced that “desirable items” or, “items priced fairly” sell quickly. Both terms are highly subjective. There are numerous items on this forum, in local shops, and on other websites/forums that could be qualified as both desirable and fairly priced that have not sold.

My oldest works at a local shop. Not a big box, but not a “mom and pop”. I’d qualify them as a “medium” sized shop. Very solid, providing service for over 25 years. Good folks who know their stuff. New and used gear prices are competitive and very fair (again, subjective. This is imho).

They offer everything from Taylor, Martin, Yamaha, Fender, Charvel, Epi, etc., yet
they’ve had a plethora of quality gear, fairly priced, go unsold for quite a while.
Obviously they make sales, but compared to past experiences items tend to sit longer.

There may be some truth to it being regional, and that people are more willing to purchase items that are “necessity” over items that are merely “wants”. Both somewhat related to the economy, or possibly “regional economy”.

Whatever the reason may be, the used guitar market seems softer than I’ve seen in some time.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 06-28-2018, 03:27 PM

Seems to be a glut of mint below-market-value Fireglo Rickenbackers on Craigslist around these parts lately..

I just picked up these two mint, virtually unplayed Rics for less than half price of new, for each one. A 360/12 and a 360/6 - both in the past year. The 360/12 still has the sticker on the pickguard, and the 360 is just as new.

They both needed setups, but man, was it worth it - for the prices I paid for them..

Old 06-28-2018, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

In recent years I've noticed it's more difficult to come across players of a certain level, which indicates to me there are fewer players overall. People are not forming bands like they used to. They're becoming DJs. Even some musicians I know have DJ businesses on the side.

The resulting dearth of good players results, in turn, in a softer market for high end guitars going forward. Someone above remarked that that instruments are being sold for less than their fair market value. No, they are being sold for their new fair market value.

Technology has made it possible for people to get on stage and perform with less skill than formerly required. When you see "bands" consisting of two guys in front of tables of electronic gear with no instruments in sight, is it any wonder few guitars are changing hands, resulting in lower prices?

At least, that's my analysis based solely on my own observations with absolutely no formal research.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:08 PM

To say that it’s is a buyers market for guitar equipment is an understatement. I was able to pick up a Martin D18 Retro for a song locally.
I’ve had Guitars and pedals for sale locally and everyone wants them for next to nothing. I ended up listing two acoustics on eBay and made home runs on both. My next move is to list my pedals there to see if I have any luck.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 08-13-2018, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
To say that it’s is a buyers market for guitar equipment is an understatement. I was able to pick up a Martin D18 Retro for a song locally.
I’ve had Guitars and pedals for sale locally and everyone wants them for next to nothing...
Completely agree BT. I’ve been on both sides of it (as have many), but I will admit that I’d rather be on the buying side. At least in this current market.

It definitely appears (to me at least) that even “fair prices” aren’t good enough in this market. A seller either can 1. Keep it and wait for a better market 2. Sell it below value or 3. Trade it (which seems like the best option in some cases as you will more than likely retain your investment value, and may end up with a more desirable piece of gear...which could be kept or possibly sold with better results).

Either way, I stand by my belief that this is a great market for buyers. Sellers...not so much. At least not at the moment. This too shall pass...
Old 08-17-2018, 11:16 AM

Agreed.

Keeping for now. Tired of lowballers

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars