The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-04-2018, 10:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Yes indeed. John and Jamie have outdone themselves on this beauty!

Woohoo!

Have fun gentlemen and Ladies too!

Paul
Paul, I appreciate your continued enthusiasm for my work
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahunadanz View Post
Wow, wow and wow!
Thanks! A three wow salute is hard to come by
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
A beautifully crafted piece of functional art. I wait in eager anticipation for sound clips.
Thank you sir
Old 07-04-2018, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

You see a lot of really beautiful guitars on this website, this particular instrument stands out as one of the best I have seen in awhile. Nice work!
Old 07-04-2018, 06:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplucker View Post
You see a lot of really beautiful guitars on this website, this particular instrument stands out as one of the best I have seen in awhile. Nice work!
Heck you are making me blush. Thank you.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

I received my John Kinnaird Cedar/Pau Santo OOO a few days ago. I'll write more later (and hopefully eventually get around to posting sound clips), but I just wanted to say right now:

John Kinnaird makes terrific guitars.

Right out of the box, this little beauty sounded awesome, and it has already opened up and gotten quite a bit louder in the last few days. I played it for three and a half hours this morning - OW!...I mean WOW! I have to think it will open up much more over the next few months and become a beast.

It is a really excellent little guitar. Very loud for a smaller guitar, very clear, very resonant. It rings and rings and rings. Outstanding balance and separation between the strings. Some overtones (which I think will increase a bit over time), but not lush (or mush). I think the Pau Santo and Cedar are a good match. It might have been a little too harsh with a spruce top. I was told by the wood supplier that the Pau Santo would sound somewhere between Ebony and Rosewood, and (though it's hard to judge from a single guitar) that seems correct. I am curious what John thinks, if he has any conclusions from a single guitar.

As other happy JK customers have said about theirs, this guitar is as good as anything I have played, including my Schwartz (redwood/Malaysian blackwood) which I think is a masterpiece.

Right now it is strung with light strings. I might eventually switch to light-medium strings, just to give it a little more on the low end but without making it hard to play fingerstyle.

As for aesthetics, all of the pieces come together better than in the pictures. I was a little worried that the guitar has so many colors, and wasn't sure how they'd come together. I think it works great, and though that is of course very personal, so does everyone else who has seen it in person. I really really like how the turquoise and silver look against the cocobolo fretboard. The back and sides are, in my opinion, incredible. Walnut was a very nice choice on the neck, to complement the other woods and echo the browns in the pau santo.

Bravo, John!
Old 07-22-2018, 04:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you Jamie. I'm glad you like it. It's always great for a parent to hear good reports about one of their kids.
I thought the Pau Santo was an interesting wood to work with. It was much prettier under finish than I first thought it would be. The greens and swirling brown tones I thought were very attractive. Its sound, which i admit is an over generalization, is probably as you say, somewhere between ebony and rosewood. Building with it added an extra layer of interest to the project.

I hope this guitar gives you years of playing pleasure
Old 07-23-2018, 03:40 PM

Astounding craftsmanship and taste and execution. I'm in full envy mode. Russ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop