The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-28-2019, 09:26 AM

No strategy, I play whatever I feel like on a given day. But if a guitar falls out of the rotation for too long, it might be about to head for a new home......
Old 12-28-2019, 09:30 AM

I'm am an inconstant steward of my guitars, and guitars in cases and more than one location doesn't help things.

I play guitar most days, either for fun/practice, or to compose something, or recording something for my project. On my most guitar centric days that may be several hours. But it's split between acoustic guitar, electric guitar, MIDI guitar (which may be playing a violin or cello or sitar or whatever virtual instrument), and electric bass. I also use keyboards and percussion when composing. There are lot of things that need to be in my hands to do what I do, and it's not always a guitar.

I like to have different guitar choices (it pleases and comforts me). Of my acoustics in my .sig they all get played at least one a year, but some may go for more than a month before they get the next "call." Sometimes I'll notice that I haven't played one for a while and purposefully think of how I might use it in a new piece. For example, right now I'm thinking it's been too long since I played something on my resonator guitar.

I know many folks think/feel differently, but guitars in cases are to me a real detriment to playing them, and I keep all the guitars in my .sig in cases. Where I type this there are four electric guitars and three basses* ready to grab as I compose or add parts. They get played a lot more than my acoustics. This summer I decided to "sacrifice" an old guitar I've had for decades and leave it out in my little office which is not humidified. I has no value, the wood has stabilized I'd suppose it would bring little or nothing if I could find a buyer. It's not even in my .sig but that's the acoustic that gets played the most.

*a three pickup Squier Tele, a super cheap and battered Sammick "meant to look like a Les Paul" with a MIDI pickup, my DeArmond electric S72/12-string and an old Aria 339 type semi-hollowbody for electric guitars. A bass with flats, a bass with round-wound strings, and a fretless bass. The "sacrificial" acoustic is a small spruce over rosewood Asian-made guitar in the 00-28 mode. It has a narrow/shallow neck that I don't find all that comfortable these days, but for composing and off-the-cuff parts done in a small and crowded home-office it works well enough.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 12-28-2019, 09:33 AM

I keep my 30-year-old Spanish guitar by the couch for emergency access at any moment. My newer Martin stays safer on a stand in my room upstairs. As I wander about the house, I play whatever is closer.

Gretsch open back banjo (1972)
Walnut Creek mountain dulcimer (2004)
Old 12-28-2019, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
My strategy is a non-strategy - much akin to yours Paul. Pick 'em up and play as I feel...
That works for me as well......
Old 12-28-2019, 09:47 AM

I have two that get about equal play time, but in actuality I have five (3 acoustic, 2 electric) that mostly sit in their cases. In fact, I don't play as much as I should altogether. There always seems to be something more important to do. Of the two that DO get played, I like my Larrivee for playing mostly fingerstyle stuff and my Martin for strumming and singing - though they do get a little cross discipline action.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
How often do you play each? Do you have a set strategy (play a different one each day or week?) or is it random?

I'm more of a random person. I might play one guitar all day or three in the same day. The only one that doesn't get some play during a typical week is my 12 string. That one probably only gets played once or twice a month.
I try to spend equal time with all of them so there will not be any sibling fighting among the family.😂
Old 12-28-2019, 10:06 AM

I got a new Eastman dread a couple of months ago and I am playing it a lot, but I seem to pick up my old Yairi after I've played the Eastman for an hour or so. Last night I pulled out a 45 year-old Guild D35 to compare to the Eastman, and played the Guild for awhile. Rather random, I guess, but I'm having a good time.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:16 AM

I keep all of my guitars out in a gig rack in my music room, sorted by age (1931 to 2014). I grab one depending on the tone I am after (vintage or modern, large body or small).

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 12-28-2019, 10:19 AM

In general, I Play a different type of music on each guitar, so it depends on what type of music I feel like playing on a given day. So I have no particular strategy (some classical, some folk, some soft rock, and my 12-string.)
Old 12-28-2019, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Multiple guitar owners: What frequency do you play them all?

I do play all my guitars, but I use them based on what song or piece I am working on at the moment. I don't have any rotation strategy for making sure these guitars get played on a regular basis.

- Glenn
Old 12-28-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
I have two that get about equal play time, but in actuality I have five (3 acoustic, 2 electric) that mostly sit in their cases.
I'm in a similar boat. I have two that I play most and several others that I keep thinking I'm going to sell one of these days.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

My rotation is all off right now, but not too long ago I had the Avalon, Larrivee and Guild all in different tunings and each had a tune assigned to learn. I also have my J-45 in standard and love to sit with it and just noodle around. Now with getting a classical I'll be focused on that one for a while.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-28-2019, 10:33 AM
Guest 33123

My weekly rotation:

Sun: 000-28VS
Mon: L-00
Tues: L-1
Wed: J-45
Thurs: 000-18MC
Fri: Any (but usually the L-00 right now)
Sat: day off

If I didn't do this some of my guitars would become forgotten. And I never play more than 1 a day. Otherwise I waste time A/B/C/D/E'ing them to death.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 12-28-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:47 AM

I have 6 and they get played based on what and where I'm playing. They each have their own purpose. If I'm just practicing at home, I usually rotate and play the nicer ones.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 12-28-2019, 10:51 AM

I have had more at other times, but I am at three right now. I have a material longing to get more, but I found out that spending a lot of time with a single guitar develops a better working relationship with the instrument... Familiarity seems to foster more competence, for me at least.
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Gretsch G6120T-1960

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion