The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-22-2016, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Lol, I'm going to track down the string tension for these and Martin's flexible cores and what's what.
I posted the set tensions for SCGC strings some time ago. You might be able to find them with a search. As I remember, the mid tension sets have the same overall tension as a set of most others' light gauge sets, but have a slightly higher string diameter than light gauge sets. Similarly, SCGC low tension sets have less overall tension than normal light gauge sets and string gauges slightly less than normal light gauge sets, give or take.

They are fantastic strings, at least to my ears and for my uses.

Last edited by sdelsolray; 10-22-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Parabolic can mean "expressed in parables". Sounds about right to me.
I thought AGF was religion-free.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

I have tried them and found them intriguing. I think saying they have a harmonic bloom is a good statement. A person does notice a difference. They have a coating on them to make them last longer. Which makes them slicker to me. I have been slowly going through a trial of strings lately. I tried them an didn't leave them on that long and moved on. This morning I purchased two sets to try again. So I find there is something to them for me. I understand they come into their own after being played awhile.

If you want the whole story go to the SCGC site to read about them. They are not being sold or marked in any kind of aggressive way. It's hard to find them as I had to purchase them direct.

These were designed to have the same tension on all strings because the other strings do not have the same tension on all the strings. Which means that other strings lean one way or the other in the way the set is EQ'd. And that could be a good or a bad thing. It depends.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-22-2016, 05:29 PM

I've had them on my Bourgeois for most of the year. To cut through the maketing hype, all of the strings are at the same tension creating a total tension of x. AFAIK, most other strings sets have graduated tensions and then they quote tension for the entire set. But the individual strings are different tensions.

Bottom line for me: they're more comfortable to play. Also, they last a long time - usually ten weeks plus.

I had a brief discussion about this today at WILs with Dana Bourgeois. In so many words, he advised me to experiment and use what you like. The subject of strings is so subjective and it's complicated by the phenomena of accommodation - by our ears and our fingers.

Rick
Old 10-22-2016, 05:38 PM

I tried a couple of sets. They weren't any sort of amazing revelation in strings for me, no road to Damascus kind of experience, but they sounded good and were good enough to leave on the guitars until they were ready to be changed.

They did have a different kind of feel than I'm used to, but it wasn't distracting or negative in any kind of way. I think they're a valid choice for folks looking for the sort of tone and feel that they provide, which is to say good sustain and an even feel across the fretboard.

My overall impression of them is that they might be a good choice for fingerpickers.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-22-2016, 05:41 PM

If you tune them down 1/2 step, they won't all have the same tension any more.

ETA: I take it back. They would all still have the same tension. But DADGAD....

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, 1966

Last edited by Bucc5207; 10-22-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:33 PM

We tried them on my son's Bourgeois Country Boy Deluxe and they were excellent, both in tone and playability. Probably the best strings we've tried to date. Unfortunately they are cost prohibitive as a "daily driver" string as he gigs frequently and goes through a new set every couple weeks. We decided we would reserve them for really important gigs or recording sessions, but have yet to order another set. If they were cheaper, or available locally, we would probably use them more often.
"Out of all the sincere and well-intentioned attempts of politics, diplomacy, philosophy, religion, and education to get people to be peaceable together, ironically today, the last thing on earth that all seven billion of us agree on is that we like the steel string guitar." -Dan Crary
Old 10-22-2016, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

I took a chance and ordered a couple of sets of the low tension for my J-45. Let's see what happens. If they last a 6 to 8 weeks I'm about even as I tend to change my strings about every month anyway.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
These were designed to have the same tension on all strings...
Newtone Heritage strings are as well. Is it possible that SCGC sources theirs from Newtone?

Last edited by Long Road Home; 10-23-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax238 View Post
Newtone Heritage strings are as well. Is it possible that SCGC sources theirs from Newtone?
To tell the truth I don't know. But the story Richard Hoover tells about why and how they came about it sounded as though he was the person that had questions about strings and did the leg work to get these strings to come about. But as far as other strings doing a similar thing I don't know any more than you do.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:04 PM

my favorite strings on smaller bodies by FAR is Newtone Double Wound

i have some SCGC Mediums to try out but none need a change just yet - getting really itchy
Old 10-23-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Does anyone know in what way they are "parabolic?" Or is that hyperbole?
yeah Howard u'r on it just like some of the comments previously posted on this subject -

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...=394087&page=4

the above runs to 7 pages !

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=447113

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=406222
Old 10-23-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax238 View Post
Doubtful. What's more likely is that they get them from Roger Siminoff, who's also in California. Newtone strings are as expensive as they are because it's one guy making them by hand, on top of which they have to be imported from the UK.

I have no particular knowledge on how Siminoff gets his strings made, whether he's making them himself or has them made for him. But there's a strong connection between Siminoff and the Santa Cruz Guitar Company, and has been for a long time.

whm
Old 10-24-2016, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
But there's a strong connection between Siminoff and the Santa Cruz Guitar Company, and has been for a long time.
whm
This makes sense. Though to me their strings are not quit the same. It sounds like they use a similar theory. I'm guessing there are a couple of manufacturing differences between the two brands. If I were to guess two things come to mind. And there could easily be more. One would be the SC strings are coated. The other would be that the Straight Up strings are a thinner gauge.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:44 AM

Default Santa Cruz low tension parabolic strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHC View Post
Santa Cruz strings were designed with the help of Roger Siminoff, who sells his own version under the name "Straight Up Strings."

Siminoff offers an information sheet on their design. Here's the link.

http://siminoff.net/cms/wp-content/u...itar_FINAL.pdf
Roger charges $10 a set and a six pack is about $8. If they are the same at SCGC's that's a pretty big difference.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion