The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-25-2019, 01:44 PM

I would love to see any of the classical guitar booths.... how about Kenny Hill guitars?
Old 01-25-2019, 02:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by learningalways View Post
I would love to see any of the classical guitar booths.... how about Kenny Hill guitars?
Sorry we're not in Anaheim, we're at the Martin Factory in Nazareth, PA.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 01-25-2019, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Edit: I think my favorites are the OM-28 MD. The 000-28 was impressive but I felt the low end was clouding the midrange detail. Depends on touch. I imagine someone who plays fingerstyle with their 'nails' might get a very different result.

The DSS Black Smoke might have been my favorite of all these. The cutaway OMCE's look cool but didn't blow me away. The OM-28 MD was definitely the stand out for balance (for me). But that Black Smoke DSS was really quite awesome! Thanks Maury!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 01-25-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the videos Maury.

Is it me or are these new Modern Deluxes very bright sounding for a Martin?? There is this jangley vibrancy I'm hearing in the mids, particularly on that D-28 MD and to a lesser extent on the OM-28 MD that is not typical for Martin... dare I say almost "Taylor-like," yikes! The 000-28 MD seemed to have 30% less volume than the OM and did not sound pleasant at all when strummed.

Of the two DSS-17s you played, I preferred the Black Smoke. I'm sure for no other reason than that specific example I liked better than the sunburst one.

My favorite so far is the D-42 Carpathian. Much more of what I expect a Martin dread to sound like (bass biased, darker overall tonal character, no jangle).

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 01-25-2019, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post

Is it me or are these new Modern Deluxes very bright sounding for a Martin?? There is this jangley vibrancy I'm hearing in the mids, particularly on that D-28 MD and to a lesser extent on the OM-28 MD that is not typical for Martin... dare I say almost "Taylor-like," yikes! The 000-28 MD seemed to have 30% less volume than the OM and did not sound pleasant at all when strummed.

Of the two DSS-17s you played, I preferred the Black Smoke. I'm sure for no other reason than that specific example I liked better than the sunburst one.

My favorite so far is the D-42 Carpathian. Much more of what I expect a Martin dread to sound like (bass biased, darker overall tonal character, no jangle).
I agree Brendan. That particular Black Smoke DSS had a little something extra.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-26-2019, 06:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:

You're welcome.

It's you. Or at least I should say, my ears aren't hearing that... in-person or on-camera. The MDs aren't overly thick or throaty but they aren't erring on the side of bright either. Yeah the 000-28 did appear to be a bit quiet compared to the others.
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 01-26-2019, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
You're welcome.

It's you. Or at least I should say, my ears aren't hearing that... in-person or on-camera. The MDs aren't overly thick or throaty but they aren't erring on the side of bright either. Yeah the 000-28 did appear to be a bit quiet compared to the others.
Thanks. How does the new MD neck compare to the MLO/PA in roundness, particularly in the shoulder area, and the overall depth? Which one feels thicker ?

Old 01-26-2019, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You're very welcome, guys! We have more videos on the way. We expect a February ETA on much of these new models.
Thanks for posting the individual videos! They're the best I have seen of the NAMM offerings.

Quote:
Thanks. How does the new MD neck compare to the MLO/PA in roundness, particularly in the shoulder area, and the overall depth? Which one feels thicker ?
Being an exact spec' of a pre-war neck, it has to be deeper/fuller profile than the MLO/PA necks. At least I hope it is. Not all of us want our acoustics to have Fender electric necks à la Taylor.

Last edited by Zissou Intern; 01-26-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:09 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I've been playing guitar professionally since the late 80's but as much as I've progressed in my abilities to discern tone, I've never been good at expressing what a neck feels like. I don't know why. The modern deluxe neck is unique though... when someone hands me an MD, and I receive the guitar by holding the lower bout with my right hand and my left hand holds the neck at fret 12 or so, the neck feels like it has VERY skinny shoulders and the V is sharp. BUT, when I begin to play it, the neck feels more full and less V at the nut (and frets 1,2,3). The shoulders of the neck get thinner as you approach the higher frets. HTH, at least a little.
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 01-26-2019, 11:24 AM

Great stuff, guys! The new D-12E looks interesting, if you haven't done that yet
Old 01-26-2019, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
the neck feels like it has VERY skinny shoulders and the V is sharp. BUT, when I begin to play it, the neck feels more full and less V at the nut (and frets 1,2,3). The shoulders of the neck get thinner as you approach the higher frets. HTH, at least a little.
Thanks Maury. Unfortunately that is the exact opposite of what I was hoping for. Was anticipating a PA taper neck with a deep full C shape and nice rounded shoulders the entire length of the neck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
martin guitar price, martin namm 2019