The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-08-2018, 10:50 PM

Default "FingerStyle Quarterly" Magazine

I recently came across a magazine of sorts that comes out four times a year, called the "FingerStyle Quarterly". It's a little pricey at $72 a year but, based on the sample at http://www.johnknowles.com/quarterly.htm and the contents of archived issues that can be bought, there seems to be a lot of good stuff. Has anybody subscribed or seen a full issue? If so, what did you think? As far as the tabs go, would you say they're do-able for an intermediate player?
Thanks!
Old 05-09-2018, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

I think all you can get now are the archived copies because John is no longer producing new copies.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 05-09-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I think all you can get now are the archived copies because John is no longer producing new copies.
The website doesn't say anything about that. In fact, there are two red buttons, one to buy a new subscription and another to renew an existing one. Maybe I'll send in a question and ask. Even if that's the case, the price for archived issues appears to be the same as for new ones.

In any case, have you or anyone else seen a full issue? How was it?
Old 05-09-2018, 11:05 AM

Over the years, I've purchased out of the archives and now own about half to 2/3rds of the offered magazines. I really like them!!

Most of tunes are accessible to the intermediate level fingerstyle guitar player. Some take a bit more work.

I always chuckle at a comment John makes in Issue #7 regarding his arrangement of the John Mclean song "Vincent". "It's easy to play, but very difficult to play beautifully"

What I like is the discussion from John on each song in each issue and the "chop talk" section where he goes over nice bits of theory. PLUS, you get a CD of John playing each of the tunes and a brief intro with every issue.

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 05-09-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
<...>
PLUS, you get a CD of John playing each of the tunes and a brief intro with every issue.

Dave
I was just checking out the archives, inspired by this thread, and was very impressed with the sample shown there, in addition to the audio example of the tune shown in the sample.

I'm so used to simply getting pdfs and audio files when I buy from someone's website; do you get a 'hard copy' plus CD mailed to you, or is at all digital?

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-09-2018, 11:31 AM

I think I have one copy of that lying around - John is a great resource when it comes to fingerstyle playing, but I usually pull my stuff off of YouTube and slow it down until I can figure it out.

If you go to CAAS in Nashville this year, you can ask him face to face. He's usually there from beginning to end.
Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender MIJ Telecaster Custom
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience
Old 05-09-2018, 11:35 AM

In the mail, you get the 8 1/2 X 11 sized magazine. Each issue is typically 15-30 pages in length and a physical CD. I think John also includes a hard copy of the complete list of issues and a listing of his other items for sale in each order.

I started out by selecting 1-2 issues that had a song that I was interested in learning and placed my order. Within a week to 10 days, it arrived in the mail... Over time, I have gone back and purchased a significant amount of the issues available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_L View Post
I was just checking out the archives, inspired by this thread, and was very impressed with the sample shown there, in addition to the audio example of the tune shown in the sample.

I'm so used to simply getting pdfs and audio files when I buy from someone's website; do you get a 'hard copy' plus CD mailed to you, or is at all digital?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by dkstott; 05-09-2018 at 11:39 AM. Reason: added information
Old 05-09-2018, 03:44 PM

This is a great finger style resource, Unfortunately John is not producing new issues. I wish he would change his mind. I own about 6-7 issues and the quality is superb. I'm sure I could glean something off his Youtube posting but the lesson material presented is very thorough, includes a CD and I'm directly supporting John and his wife Becky. It's a win-win as far as I'm concerned.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:44 PM

I just posted this in the events section, but I just learned that John Knowles will be playing here in Connecticut on Saturday May 19th!!

He'll be at Acoustic Music.org store in Guilford, CT

You'll see the master at work and have a chance to see some awesome guitars in that store..
Old 05-16-2018, 06:11 PM

Holy Moly Dave! And a workshop on Sunday!

Maybe...just maybe! Thanks for the heads up.

best,

Rick
Old 05-16-2018, 06:55 PM

Inspired by this thread, I ordered one of the archive issues (#7), and I’m very impressed! Great arrangement of “Vincent”, and other tunes, neat discussion of each piece and also of some interesting chord progressions. I’ll be getting more, I’m sure.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion